Is It By-law For Companies To Provide Housing?

Topic locked
Is it by-law for companies to provide housing? Oct 19, 2006
Hi All, I am re posting this just in case I miss the crowd. just a quick question. I was told that it is by-law that the employer is required to provide housing or at least housing allowance to the respective employee. Is this correct?

Thanks.

BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Oct 19, 2006
my understanding is yes but i'm not 100% sure, also they can give you a salary of X but in your break down part of X could be written as your housing allowance.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Oct 19, 2006
didnt think so

depends on the employer i think :?
175bpm
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 19, 2006
That's what I thought, certainly not many people I know have housing provided by the company, many just get 'housing allowance' as part of their salary, but to be honest, most companies break your salary down into several different categories to keep your basic low and avoid paying big gratuities when you leave.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 19, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:That's what I thought, certainly not many people I know have housing provided by the company, many just get 'housing allowance' as part of their salary, but to be honest, most companies break your salary down into several different categories to keep your basic low and avoid paying big gratuities when you leave.

This is about right actually, the Companies try to keep the base salary as low as possible.

In the end though, it's what you negotiate for yourself and whether you are satisfied with it that counts.

I am not sure if their is any law that states housing has to be provided.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 19, 2006
Actualy, i have a question down this road..

In my demand to the company i Dubai, i have written free housing, but it seems like they are going for allowance..

How much should i ask for?
I see there are Studios for rent, but what is that??

I would like a 2 room, but is that shooting to high? i'm going to be by my self, and not really keen on shearing.
MilleDane
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 19, 2006
MilleDane wrote:Actualy, i have a question down this road..

In my demand to the company i Dubai, i have written free housing, but it seems like they are going for allowance..

I would like a 2 room, but is that shooting to high? i'm going to be by my self, and not really keen on shearing.

If your looking for a decent 2 bedroom apartment you have to be looking for 100k plus
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 19, 2006
sage & onion wrote:

If your looking for a decent 2 bedroom apartment you have to be looking for 100k plus

Thanks Sage, and were talking 100k Dhs a year right??

Whats a Studio?? Never heard that term before.
MilleDane
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 19, 2006
MilleDane wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

Studio is where you sleep in your living room, no additional bedroom.

Dhs. 100,000.00 Per Year is correct.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 19, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
MilleDane wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

Cheers mate - no studio for me then..

And the price for a two bedroom :shock: Guess it's going to be a one bedroom then. :( would have liked to have a spare room for office and etc..
MilleDane
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 20, 2006
MilleDane wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
MilleDane wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

Cheers mate - no studio for me then..

And the price for a two bedroom :shock: Guess it's going to be a one bedroom then. :( would have liked to have a spare room for office and etc..

Depending on where you stay I suppose. I have seen places with one bedroom and going for 100k. Also if you want a furnished or unfurnished apartment.
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Oct 20, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:That's what I thought, certainly not many people I know have housing provided by the company, many just get 'housing allowance' as part of their salary, but to be honest, most companies break your salary down into several different categories to keep your basic low and avoid paying big gratuities when you leave.

This is about right actually, the Companies try to keep the base salary as low as possible.

In the end though, it's what you negotiate for yourself and whether you are satisfied with it that counts.

I am not sure if their is any law that states housing has to be provided.

Can you define what is "low" for a base salary? An indication of a range would be useful. I have heard something like 5 to 20k a month and accomodation is included. But that range is too wide. Can you provide a more realistic range.
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Oct 20, 2006
BD, we can't answer a question like that accurately which out knowing which profession you're talking about, your nationality (sad to say that the amount some people get paid depends where they come from), local/international company etc etc.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 20, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:BD, we can't answer a question like that accurately which out knowing which profession you're talking about, your nationality (sad to say that the amount some people get paid depends where they come from), local/international company etc etc.

Yes I have read about the double or triple standard. Thinking this still happens in the 21st century. :shock: Such is life I guess, either take it or leave it eh....
But we must be thankful that we still have a roof over our heads :P
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Oct 20, 2006
It is very sad. But hey people need to fight for what they're worth, why should some settle for getting less than others for doing the same job?

OK, regardless of what the 'housing allowance' will be, I would be quite confident in saying that no company will give you enough in an allowance to fully cover your rental costs, you can guarantee that you'll always be digging into the rest of your salary.

Looking at what myself and friends get as rental, we're lucky if it would cover a 3rd of the amount we need to rent a place.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 20, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:It is very sad. But hey people need to fight for what they're worth, why should some settle for getting less than others for doing the same job?

OK, regardless of what the 'housing allowance' will be, I would be quite confident in saying that no company will give you enough in an allowance to fully cover your rental costs, you can guarantee that you'll always be digging into the rest of your salary.

Looking at what myself and friends get as rental, we're lucky if it would cover a 3rd of the amount we need to rent a place.

Refering to your first para, unfortunately for some race ethnics, this is a losing battle due to the skin color etc. Can you imagine if you are the ethnic minority AND a female.....have to deal with race and gender inequality!!
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum