How Do You Get Married In UAE If 1 Partner Has Visit Visa

Topic locked
How do you get married in UAE if 1 partner has visit visa Nov 03, 2009
Dear All,

I am hoping someone can help me out. I realize all help/ advice will probably be based on anecdotal evidence but hey, I've learnt thats the way of the UAE. :).

My girlfriend and I want to get married in the UAE. She is living and working in Dubai on a Dubai residence visa and although I lived in Dubai for 18 odd years, I have now moved to the UK. I usually come to Dubai on a visit visa now.

According to the info I have unearthed so far, both parties in a marriage conducted by the DUbai Sharia law, need to be Dubai Residents.

Is there any emirate in the UAE which will let us marry on the basis that only one of us is a permenant resident? Sharjah, Ajman, AD, Fujairah? Does anyone know?

We are both Pakistani but have no roots in Pakistan anymore and being the culturally confused product of the UAE system, we don't know where to turn to to get our marriage recognized officially. Our embassy is useless in this regard.

I am taking a punt on the fact that someone will have some info on this forum, no matter how anecdotal. I can then follow it up myself.

Thanks folks.

Kash

kash0
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 03, 2009
Your best bet would be to contact your nearest embassy, they will be able to tell you.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 03, 2009
Yes, you both need residence visas AFAIK.

http://www.dubaifaqs.com/marriage-in-dubai.php

You could try Ajman, UAQ, RAK - smaller emirates sometimes more flexible with rules but you'd probably have to know someone.

Get married in the UK? Or Las Vegas?
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Nov 03, 2009
Thanks for the replies guys.

Chocoholic - Pakistani embassy does not perform marriages (the embassies are setup to cater to the counsel general's personal international holiday abroad and as such, provide crap services to the average Pakistani!).

Bonk - I intend to see if I can get married in Ajman, RAK, Fuj or anywhere else, hence this thread. Can't do UK as we want to get it sorted ASAP in the UAE as my partner can not come to the UK until she is married to me..

As for Vegas - well, I don't do Elvis jumpsuits you see...

Anyone else? Please? Im fast running out of time here! Thanks for all your help..
kash0
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 04, 2009
She can't go to UK on visit visa?

Or another European country?
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Nov 05, 2009
No, you can't convert a visit visa to a spouse/ partner visa in the UK - she'll have to leave and re-apply from the UAE again anyhow.
kash0
Dubai Forum Guest

undefined Jan 21, 2015
I am Indian I have 3 years visa I want mairred a Algierion girrl she come to Dubai and she is brother come visit visa can posible I mairred Algierian girrl what kind need document plz answer me
mjkhan
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum