Holiday Worry!

Topic locked
holiday worry! Jun 13, 2007
Hi all

I am due to be coming to dubai on holiday in 2 weeks time with my fiancee

I have recently been reading stories about the law about unmarried couples? I know UAE is a muslim country but did not think it would be an issue as Dubai is so westernised?

I have read alot about unmarried couples having difficulty and having to be discreet about living together in dubai permenantly but how about a week long holiday?

Will we get turned away from immigration at the airport or could we get turned away from our hotel? (The Jumeirah Rotana Hotel)

Also we are Muslim... will this cause further problems as we are unmarried, and what should we do if we are asked at the airport or hotel if we are married?

I am very worried about this now (have read alot of stories that have scared me) and did not think this would be a problem but probably should have done more research at the time! The holiday was booked 6 months ago.

any tips or advice please?!

p.s by the way i know there have been alot of threads on the subject of unmarried couples and i have read them but they all seem to be about living together in dubai and I am wondering and asking whether a week long holiday will be any different?

sweetpea06
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 13, 2007
As you say you have read all of the threads about this, then you will also know that it is against the law. You and your partner being Muslim would not make it easier if their was a problem with the authorities. Whether you risk it or not will be up to you, plenty here will tell you it's not a problem, dont worry etc., etc., etc. however in the end it will be up to you.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 13, 2007
Don't listen to Sage, on this particular issue, he's completely full of it.

You wil be fine, just act like a married couple.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jun 13, 2007
Ian is right don't listen to Sage on this one.

The only thing I would do differently is to go thru the immigration counter at the Dubai airport separatedly (don't give both passports at same time) - how will he/she know you are together?

You will be fine and there are many, many, couples doing the same thing. After all, Dubai needs the tourists.

Enjoy your holidays.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 13, 2007
Concord wrote:Ian is right don't listen to Sage on this one.

I'm starting to think Sage has never ever been to Dubai.... Sharjah maybe, but not Dubai.
^ian^

Jun 13, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
Concord wrote:Ian is right don't listen to Sage on this one.

I'm starting to think Sage has never ever been to Dubai.... Sharjah maybe, but not Dubai.

Sharjah? I was thinking Taliban's Kabul.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 13, 2007
i have to agree with both side on this...

remember, this is a forum, the aim of which is to give a full spectrum of information on a topic to a person who has a query ...

in this case - both points have been put accross - sage obviously has a standpoint as well as the other views expressed.

while the majority of the posts say "yes it's okay", sage's advice is legally and morally (from a muslim perspective) correct.

in practical terms the "yes, it's okay" answer is also correct from a realistic "this is what happens in dubai all the time" perspective. while we know that this happens all the time and in 99.9% of the situations nothing would happen to anyone "shacking up" there is still that 0.1% chance!

this is a forum to help people, we can't simply say "well yes, break the law" - what we can however say is "this is the law, but they normally turn a blind eye to it" .... the final decision lays with the person asking the question

p.s. when you register at the hotel also keep the passports seperate :)
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jun 13, 2007
dbxsoul wrote:in practical terms the "yes, it's okay" answer is also correct from a realistic "this is what happens in dubai all the time" perspective. while we know that this happens all the time and in 99.9% of the situations nothing would happen to anyone "shacking up" there is still that 0.1% chance!

The 99.9% vs. 0.1% is the key. The original poster said she was Very Worry and she should not be. In Kabul yes. The "moral" aspect of it is already decided (most religions are against pre-marital sex, etc.). As to breaking the law, I do it everyday. Let me explain, I drive on SZR everyday and at least once I get the "you are breaking the law" beep by going above 120 kph! Do I get a fine everyday? No. I think there are more police on speed patrol than on "schacking-up" patrol.

At the end of the day anyone smart enough to book a holiday, obtain a visa etc. understands that while illegal, it might not be strickly enforced (and who better to answer it that those here familiar with the realities not just the "moral" "illegal" aspect of it).

p.s. coming to Dubai on holiday as an unmarried couple is less risky than living here as an unmarried couple (only because there are more chances you'll get someone to "tell on you" ).
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 13, 2007
Concord wrote:
dbxsoul wrote:in practical terms the "yes, it's okay" answer is also correct from a realistic "this is what happens in dubai all the time" perspective. while we know that this happens all the time and in 99.9% of the situations nothing would happen to anyone "shacking up" there is still that 0.1% chance!

The 99.9% vs. 0.1% is the key. The original poster said she was Very Worry and she should not be. In Kabul yes. The "moral" aspect of it is already decided (most religions are against pre-marital love, etc.). As to breaking the law, I do it everyday. Let me explain, I drive on SZR everyday and at least once I get the "you are breaking the law" beep by going above 120 kph! Do I get a fine everyday? No. I think there are more police on speed patrol than on "schacking-up" patrol.

At the end of the day anyone smart enough to book a holiday, obtain a visa etc. understands that while illegal, it might not be strickly enforced (and who better to answer it that those here familiar with the realities not just the "moral" "illegal" aspect of it).

I for one am sick of people going 'oooh it's illegal' and potentially ruining peoples lives and holidays over a tiny little point of law which is totally not enforced anymore.

The law is not enforced in Dubai... I have stayed in countless hotels in other Emirates (Abu Dhabi, Ajman etc. but NOT Sharjah) with an unmarried partner, I have gone through customs many times with a female who I wasn't married to.... the bottom line is IT IS NOT A PROBLEM.

Of course, if you break the law, they will throw the book at you and add this to the list of charges... but it's only going to be an issue if you do something stupid to make it an issue.
^ian^

Jun 13, 2007
yes, concord. i think that puts it into perspective.

although, if you want to travel/ sightsee outside of dubai then be more careful - depending on the emirate you going to visit
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jun 13, 2007
^ian^ wrote:The law is not enforced in Dubai...
Yes it is, but not consistently.

An Indian maid living with her gardener boyfriend will probably end up in trouble.

Two unmarried westerners staying in a hotel for a holiday won't, unless they break other laws (eg take drugs, have sex in public, etc).

Go together or separate through passport control, having different surnames is not a red flag.

Being Muslim and living together increases the risk of problems if caught especially if female muslim with non-muslim male.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 13, 2007
bonk wrote:
^ian^ wrote:The law is not enforced in Dubai...
Yes it is, but not consistently.

An Indian maid living with her gardener boyfriend will probably end up in trouble.

Two unmarried westerners staying in a hotel for a holiday won't, unless they break other laws (eg take drugs, have sex in public, etc).

Go together or separate through passport control, having different surnames is not a red flag.

Being Muslim and living together increases the risk of problems if caught especially if female muslim with non-muslim male.

Well, it may be enforced discriminately, but in general it is not enforced against the professional expat community and definitely not tourists.
^ian^

Jun 13, 2007
bonk wrote:[Two unmarried westerners staying in a hotel for a holiday won't, unless they break other laws (eg take drugs, have sex in public, etc).

...kissing in public. There was a recent case of a couple kissing in the beach and getting apprehended by undercover cops, who were presumably there to arrest horny labourers.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 13, 2007
gtmash wrote:
bonk wrote:[Two unmarried westerners staying in a hotel for a holiday won't, unless they break other laws (eg take drugs, have sex in public, etc).

...kissing in public. There was a recent case of a couple kissing in the beach and getting apprehended by undercover cops, who were presumably there to arrest horny labourers.

They should have. I am against too much "PDA" / French Kissing in public - who needs it!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 13, 2007
gtmash wrote:

Link to article? (or it didn't happen!)
^ian^

Jun 13, 2007
hi thanks for your replies it puts me much more at ease than I was last night!

dbxsoul
you said to register the passports at the hotel separately how do we do this? we booked our holiday online and so everything is in both of our names so i assume we would have to check-in to the room together and do all the passports etc together?

what is the liklihood of getting flagged up if we go through immigration and book in the hotel together?

oh and also! i know PDA are definately a no, but how about just holding hands or linking arms when walking out together? I usually do this just to stay safe and not lose my bf! but should I avoid doing that in dubai especially as we're a muslim couple and I wear a scarf making it obvious that we are muslim?
sweetpea06
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 13, 2007
sweetpea06 wrote:hi thanks for your replies it puts me much more at ease than I was last night!

dbxsoul
you said to register the passports at the hotel separately how do we do this? we booked our holiday online and so everything is in both of our names so i assume we would have to check-in to the room together and do all the passports etc together?

what is the liklihood of getting flagged up if we go through immigration and book in the hotel together?

oh and also! i know PDA are definately a no, but how about just holding hands or linking arms when walking out together? I usually do this just to stay safe and not lose my bf! but should I avoid doing that in dubai especially as we're a muslim couple and I wear a scarf making it obvious that we are muslim?

Here is the process for many coming primarily from the west and I will deduce that are or live there otherwise you would have the same problem back home (of "cohabing" with your fiance). Question: "visiting" answer: "yes". Question: "Where will you be staying". answer: "Jumeirah Ssomething..". That's it. Unless of course you come from some country like Bangladesh then thell you a "cavity search" on you (sadly not many come from Bangladesh to stay at the Jumeirah Rotana Hotel).

There should be no problem at the hotel (you won't be staying at the "Mullah Omar" hotel).

P.S. If you don't have time to buy alcohol at the Duty Free shop after immigration just post here and you will be directed to the "hole in the wall" or "Barracuda" in order to complete the "immorality" tour.

Relax, relax, it will all be fine!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 13, 2007
thank you very much :) really looking forward to coming!
sweetpea06
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 13, 2007
sweetpea06 wrote:thank you very much :) really looking forward to coming!

bad choice of words!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 13, 2007
its pure luck... i would say be careful... for instance some of my friends have been driving without a licence for months but then my other friend caught the very first time he was at the wheel... ofcourse without a licence.

good luck n njoy ur hols :wink:
dale
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 13, 2007
dbxsoul wrote:i have to agree with both side on this...

remember, this is a forum, the aim of which is to give a full spectrum of information on a topic to a person who has a query ...

in this case - both points have been put accross - sage obviously has a standpoint as well as the other views expressed.

while the majority of the posts say "yes it's okay", sage's advice is legally and morally (from a muslim perspective) correct.

in practical terms the "yes, it's okay" answer is also correct from a realistic "this is what happens in dubai all the time" perspective. while we know that this happens all the time and in 99.9% of the situations nothing would happen to anyone "shacking up" there is still that 0.1% chance!

this is a forum to help people, we can't simply say "well yes, break the law" - what we can however say is "this is the law, but they normally turn a blind eye to it" .... the final decision lays with the person asking the question

p.s. when you register at the hotel also keep the passports seperate :)

I already stated I do not have any problem with people living together, I really don't care. This forum is "EXPATS HELP", and that's why I would not advise any person to break the law. And that is what you all are doing, you are encouraging this couple to come here and break the law. Look at your posts, you are even advising them to enter on seperate counters, keep their passports seperate, if it was not a potential problem why would they have to do that.
You act like people have never been arrested in Dubai for Cohabiting out of wedlock, they have, and it continues to happen, just because you don't know anyone that it has happened to doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
As I said before I really don't care what people do, they should only be advised of the law and the risks.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 13, 2007
sage & onion wrote: I really don't care what people do, they should only be advised of the law

Practicing law (advising people of the law) without a license is illegal. Please don't break the law.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 13, 2007
Concord wrote:
sage & onion wrote: I really don't care what people do, they should only be advised of the law

Practicing law (advising people of the law) without a license is illegal. Please don't break the law.

Report him.. lets get him locked up.

I'm kind of getting tired of his patronising 'I know better' way of carrying on in the forums.

Good tip about the hole in the wall too, will come in handy for them I am sure.
^ian^

Jun 13, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
Concord wrote:

Report him.. lets get him locked up.

I'm kind of getting tired of his patronising 'I know better' way of carrying on in the forums.

Good tip about the hole in the wall too, will come in handy for them I am sure.

Typical Australian :roll:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 13, 2007
:))

the follow-up postings are more intersting to read than the original question. however, all said and done and after all the finger pointing and bickering/ banter. the actual point of the forum was made... if you have a question there is probably someone here who will be able to give you an answer... basically everyone here has something to contribute - else you wouldn't involve yourselves on the forum/ give of your own time to help people who have legitimate questions ....

<exit stage left - while forum members break in to a chorus of "We are the world">

:))
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jun 14, 2007
Concord wrote:
sweetpea06 wrote:thank you very much :) really looking forward to coming!

bad choice of words!

Har Har..
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Jun 14, 2007
There should be no problem at the hotel (you won't be staying at the "Mullah Omar" hotel).

P.S. If you don't have time to buy alcohol at the Duty Free shop after immigration just post here and you will be directed to the "hole in the wall" or "Barracuda" in order to complete the "immorality" tour.

In fact, why not just go the whole hog and ditch the scarf.
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 16, 2007
Its always a hot bed of a topic this one (no pun intended).

All I know on this one is that there are some who say it's fine, there are some that say 'yes. but don't broadcast it' and some that warn about not doing it as it's illegal.

The only statement i have heard from officials is a Dubai police inspector who said the police had more important things to worry about and were much more concerned with the conduct of couples then they were about their marital status. I also heard a director from the Dubai courts state that it was illegal in some emirates, but not Dubai. But I have also read a story not so long ago about an Emirate who was shot at in his car when spotted sitting next to a female whom he was not married to (to be honest I think there may be a lot more to this story then was not let on to).

I have also met a lot of unmarried couples living out here who are not worried. You also only have to walk around the Madinat on a Thursday night and you will see scores of unmarried young couples walking around hand in hand. If the police were to start busting them it would not be good for business at all.

At the end of the day (and this is only my opinion) Dubai highly values its tourist industry and wants to attract more visitors. If they were to arrest a couple for staying in a hotel together this sort of story would hit the visitors home tabloid newspaper headlines - this in turn would cause a lot of people not to come - and the powers to be don't want that.

It's something you need to evaluate for yourself at the end of the day.

What you could do is email the Dubai tourist authority and ask them - I would be interested to hear the result.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Jun 16, 2007
we did call our hotel to ask the 'theoretical' question of whether it would be a problem or not and they insisted it wouldnt so just taking their word for it....
sweetpea06
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 16, 2007
sweetpea06 wrote:we did call our hotel to ask the 'theoretical' question of whether it would be a problem or not and they insisted it wouldnt so just taking their word for it....

Brilliant idea. Normally I'd warn against this... but much more reliable advice than old farts living out their life on a forum.
^ian^

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum