Help!! Dubai And Abu Dhabi - What's The Difference??

Topic locked
Help!! Dubai and Abu Dhabi - What's the difference?? May 30, 2006
Ok people!! I know what some of you are going to say, silly things like:
1) Its a different city
2) Its a different emirate
3) Its spelt different

Ok - thats the limit of what I know!!

Right - here is the reason for my question:
I've been approached about a job in Abu Dhabi, so basically I was just wanting to know what its like etc. Most of you know that I came over to Dubai recently and absolutely loved it, but I know very little about Abu Dhabi, what's there, and all that kind of thing - never crossed my mind before as a place I might want to live!!
Any help would be appreciated - from the stupid obvious things, to the not so obvious. Even posts like "don't work there if its the last place on earth" would be helpful in their own way!!!
Thanks in advance guys :)

the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

May 30, 2006
Smaller and Greener. 2 Hours away from Dubai. More "old money" than Dubai. About to undergo the same, if not larger, amount of development than Dubai. More of a grid to the city than Dubai.

About all I know...
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 30, 2006
Its a more conservative place compared to Dubai and a lot more local based society lives there, not too many expats. O yeah, all the places there are numbered!
A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

May 30, 2006
Read this thread and good luck.

http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=4245
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

May 30, 2006
fayz wrote:Read this thread and good luck.

http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=4245

Thanks Fayz - you are a star!!

Any other info I should know?? I mean, I wouldn't be near to my DFM associates, thats one big downside!! But anything else?? I guess if I'm honest I don't like the sound it being less western!
Ok, is living in Dubai and commuting to AD an option??
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

May 30, 2006
Less western and a lot less nightlife, restaurants, shopping malls, etc. etc.

If your a family man it could actually be a better option than Dubai, but if you are single and enjoy your social life then I personally would not be able to live there over Dubai
G
Dubai Forums Talker

May 30, 2006
people do commute Zoots
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 30, 2006
arniegang wrote:people do commute Zoots

Presumably a lot better if you live in the Marina/JBR/Greens areas - its the AD side of Dubai.
Is it really feasable though?? What sort of travel times are we talking about??
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

May 30, 2006
you are right regards where to live in relation to AD. I think its about 70 miles Zoots, but it is a shit fast road and would probably take less time than 10 miles into town.
arniegang

May 30, 2006
arniegang wrote:you are right regards where to live in relation to AD. I think its about 70 miles Zoots, but it is a shit fast road and would probably take less time than 10 miles into town.

Ok, so worth considering then I guess - but my main priority remains getting a job in Dubai!!

Thanks so much for your help all of you!! :)
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

May 30, 2006
Wow, I have to say that people who commute to AD everyday or to Dubai must have nerves of steel, I couldn't stand that.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 30, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Wow, I have to say that people who commute to AD everyday or to Dubai must have nerves of steel, I couldn't stand that.

Hmm - thats noted too!! I might be similar distance to commute as say Nottingham to Birmingham in the UK, but a little more intense!! :lol:
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

May 31, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Wow, I have to say that people who commute to AD everyday or to Dubai must have nerves of steel, I couldn't stand that.

I wouldn't do it for a Million Dirhams. The stress on the road would not be worth it even if I were driving a tank!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 31, 2006
the_zooter wrote:
arniegang wrote:you are right regards where to live in relation to AD. I think its about 70 miles Zoots, but it is a shit fast road and would probably take less time than 10 miles into town.

Ok, so worth considering then I guess - but my main priority remains getting a job in Dubai!!

Thanks so much for your help all of you!! :)

What kind of job are you looking for?
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 31, 2006
Concord wrote:

I wouldn't do it for a Million Dirhams. The stress on the road would not be worth it even if I were driving a tank!

My only goal when i moved into my place was it should be with in walking distance to work so I know exactly what the two of you are saying but imho i think the commute from AD is a lot easier than the commute from Sharjah. the speed limit is 160 the whole way and traffic isn't too caotic until you reach/leave dubai.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

May 31, 2006
Concord wrote:What kind of job are you looking for?

I'm looking for an Accountant's job - its the only thing I know how to do!! :?
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

May 31, 2006
fayz wrote:My only goal when i moved into my place was it should be with in walking distance to work so I know exactly what the two of you are saying but imho i think the commute from AD is a lot easier than the commute from Sharjah. the speed limit is 160 the whole way and traffic isn't too caotic until you reach/leave dubai.

I didn't think anyone walked in Dubai?!?!?
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

May 31, 2006
the_zooter wrote:
fayz wrote:My only goal when i moved into my place was it should be with in walking distance to work so I know exactly what the two of you are saying but imho i think the commute from AD is a lot easier than the commute from Sharjah. the speed limit is 160 the whole way and traffic isn't too caotic until you reach/leave dubai.

hehehe read the quote carefully i said walking distance not that i walked ;)

joking aside i do actually like walking to work in the winter but in the summer it just is too warm. (about 20 mins to work).
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

May 31, 2006
the_zooter wrote:

Yes, people walk...from the airconditioned villa to the airconditioned car and then to the airconditioned office or the airconditioned mall...

Some of the malls are big enough to constitute a serious exercise regime to get around them...

Others of us walk to work in the winter, or even ride a mountain bike but be warned...the streets are lethal!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

May 31, 2006
You will find some people that like AD and other that hate it. Personally I prefer Dubai over AD but driving in AD is much more relaxing.

Rents are expensive and similar to Dubai. AD is built more like a city with a defined downtown core and suburbs. AD has two malls to speak of and Marina mall is in competition with Mall of the Emirates... :)

AD is about to undergo the same things Dubai is experiencing so it will turn into a giant dustbin soon.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 31, 2006
I've got a great piccy of some devlopment in Abu Dhabi but can't figure out how to post a picture - you can't just paste it in??
G
Dubai Forums Talker

May 31, 2006
G wrote:I've got a great piccy of some devlopment in Abu Dhabi but can't figure out how to post a picture - you can't just paste it in??

Have a look at this post - will show you how to di it - dead easy!!

http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=7266

Looking forwards to seeing some AD pics

Thanks
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

May 31, 2006
Thanks Zooter. Will have a look at that a little later

In the meantime this is a pretty good link

http://www.alrahagardens.com/
G
Dubai Forums Talker

May 31, 2006
While AD is much slower in terms of developemtn than Dubai, i feel that they are taking there time and learning from the mistakes that have been done in dubes. Look at the way AD is planned for example, they will never have a traffic problem even if the city population explodes. Ofcourse the tonnes of money they have and the fact they can afford the world's best consultants must have something to do with it too :)
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 31, 2006
MaaaD wrote:While AD is much slower in terms of developemtn than Dubai, i feel that they are taking there time and learning from the mistakes that have been done in dubes. Look at the way AD is planned for example, they will never have a traffic problem even if the city population explodes. Ofcourse the tonnes of money they have and the fact they can afford the world's best consultants must have something to do with it too :)

So in a few years time then, it could well be "better"??

Oooh - another question to ask you guys then. Do they have freezones and stuff?? I know one or two have mentioned its not as western as Dubai, so am I to take it that its far more centred on UAE nationals?? Do they allow alcohol/drinking etc there (I know that Sharjah is a "dry" emirate for example).
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

May 31, 2006
the_zooter wrote:
MaaaD wrote:While AD is much slower in terms of developemtn than Dubai, i feel that they are taking there time and learning from the mistakes that have been done in dubes. Look at the way AD is planned for example, they will never have a traffic problem even if the city population explodes. Ofcourse the tonnes of money they have and the fact they can afford the world's best consultants must have something to do with it too :)

So in a few years time then, it could well be "better"??

Oooh - another question to ask you guys then. Do they have freezones and stuff?? I know one or two have mentioned its not as western as Dubai, so am I to take it that its far more centred on UAE nationals?? Do they allow alcohol/drinking etc there (I know that Sharjah is a "dry" emirate for example).

Zoots yes it might be better, but AD has oil for the next 200-300 years so they are not in a rush at all. Unlike Dubai who is running dry very soon and had to go through this massive boom before that happens. Abu Dhabi is not dry, on the contrary it has more relaxed rules on alcohol than Dubai. For example on the even of most islamic holidays (Islamic new year, Prophets birthday, etc..) Dubai is declared dry, while Abu Dhabi bars will be open for buisness. However the problem with Abu Dhabi is lack of choice and variety. But again, Dubai is really close and the prospect of going out to dubai for the weekend is much more appealing to most who live in Abu Dhabi than living in Dubai and commuting to Abu Dhabi.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 01, 2006

I do it almost every weekend and a couple of times a week and its not too bad - about 45mins from centre of AD to DM. Good chance to catch some tunes on the radio :D
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 01, 2006
Concord wrote:I wouldn't do it for a Million Dirhams. The stress on the road would not be worth it even if I were driving a tank!

Be sure to refer the person offering a tank and million dhs my way C :P
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 01, 2006
you and your radio X ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:wink: :wink: :wink:
arniegang

Jun 01, 2006
arniegang wrote:you and your radio X ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Yeah, how ever would I get by without it mate? Even sit at work with the handsfree radio going :lol:

And you tend to to pick up some interesting facts and figures along the way ;)
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum