Having A Baby In Dubai

Topic locked
Having a baby in Dubai Mar 10, 2008
Hi

my husband is in the throws of interviews, offers pending etc for a move to Dubai - hopefully in the next few months.

Although its fantastic news for us, we just found out that I am pregnant, due in October. As this has been a bit of a surprise, we don't want it to upset our plans to travel and live in Dubai for a few years.

My question is, have any of you out there gone through pregnancy in Dubai as an expat, had a baby there? What can expect if we do move? I'm kinda scared at the prospect as its my first pregnancy.

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Curly

CurlyOB
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Having a baby in Dubai Mar 10, 2008
CurlyOB wrote:Hi

my husband is in the throws of interviews, offers pending etc for a move to Dubai - hopefully in the next few months.

Although its fantastic news for us, we just found out that I am pregnant, due in October. As this has been a bit of a surprise, we don't want it to upset our plans to travel and live in Dubai for a few years.

My question is, have any of you out there gone through pregnancy in Dubai as an expat, had a baby there? What can expect if we do move? I'm kinda scared at the prospect as its my first pregnancy.

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Curly

no expert in the area but I know a few expats that have had babys in Dubai. Essentially not a problem and "first world" facilities - of course it depends on your budget/insurance coverage. I've heard from Canadians, Americans and Brits (well a decent couple anyway) and they have all had good experiences.

It seems like the American Hospital is a good place. I happened to go there for a test (insurance purposes) and the place looked more like a 5* hotel than a hospital.

Good luck to all three (or four) of you...
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 10, 2008
Many expats have babies in Dubai. Most of them live. But seriously, I don't think it's more risky in Dubai than other places. You could ask at expatwoman.com or expatgossip.com where lots of mothers hang out.

If you didn't have private medical cover before you got pregnant, you might face a big bill though.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Mar 10, 2008
I can confirm that the facilities and staff at the American hospital are very good... but expensive, especially if there are any complications. 20,000+ dirhams is not unusual.
Therefore, your company health coverr becomes important in the negotiations.
The other option is the public hospital ( Al Wasl), which can range from anywhere from being unwelcoming to very good. It also costs money, but is a lot cheaper and is a flat rate rather than escalating.
benwj

Mar 11, 2008
benwj wrote:Therefore, your company health coverr becomes important in the negotiations.

Except that in this case, isn't the pregnancy a pre-existing condition?
bonk

Mar 11, 2008
bonk wrote:
benwj wrote:Therefore, your company health coverr becomes important in the negotiations.

Except that in this case, isn't the pregnancy a pre-existing condition?

Yes, it is unlikely that it will be covered, which means that she should at least confirm this before taking the job and either accept the costs of try and negotiate coverage.
benwj

Mar 27, 2008
Hi Curly,

I am in a very similar situation. My husband is likely to be posted to Dubai (we are currently in the UK) for 2 years within the next couple of months. I am also pregnant and due in October. It is my first pregnancy and I want to make sure I do everything I can for the baby. We are still trying to decide if it is best for me to stay in the UK and travel out Nov/Dec or to fly out before the end of July. from what I have heard the private healthcare in Dubai is excellant and I would prefer to be with my husband during the final couple of months and I would hate it if he missed the birth. Just waiting now to hear final dates for my husbands job and then we will make our final decision but I think I will be giving birth in Dubai!

I am also worried I will be quite isolated out there when my husband is at work so am trying to find somewhere to live where there is a good expat community and mums and baby groups, if you have any recommendations please let me know.

Hope all goes well for you.

Cheers
Doogle's wife!
Doogle
Dubai Forum Guest

Mar 27, 2008
Doogle wrote:I am also worried I will be quite isolated out there when my husband is at work so am trying to find somewhere to live where there is a good expat community and mums and baby groups, if you have any recommendations please let me know.Doogle's wife!

Hi there, first of all congrats on your upcoming new baby....try to check this site http://www.expatwoman.com/.Me thinks you'll get lots of info there from expat mums....

Hope all goes well to you too.....

Ciao
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum