Hair Dresser Help

Topic locked
Hair dresser help Oct 03, 2009
Hi - I'm doing to crazy thing and changing my brown/black hair to more of a blonde/Jennifer Anison colour. Naturally i am petrified as havent had a great experience with salons ever so need some help to find a good, hair dresser that wont make me want to shave my hair off straight after.

Do any of you know anywhere - who are excellent with colour even the darkest colour to a very light brown??

Thanks A lot :D

ellyclarke1
Dubai Forum Guest

Oct 03, 2009
I have been going to a hair colorist for 2 years (which is a record for me!). His name is Rabih. (Pronounced Ra-b-ah) He works at the hair salon at the Monarch Hotel. Very pricey, but he's a great colorist. At least, I'm happy with his work. I have had two other hairstylists ask who did my color (don't know if they thought it was good or bad, but when I told them Rabih, they said it was a good job. The fact that the know him also may have something to with it!)
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Oct 04, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:I have been going to a hair colorist for 2 years (which is a record for me!). His name is Rabih. (Pronounced Ra-b-ah) He works at the hair salon at the Monarch Hotel. Very pricey, but he's a great colorist. At least, I'm happy with his work. I have had two other hairstylists ask who did my color (don't know if they thought it was good or bad, but when I told them Rabih, they said it was a good job. The fact that the know him also may have something to with it!)

What a shame I didn't know about him a few years ago (when I had hair), could have changed my image :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 04, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:I have been going to a hair colorist for 2 years (which is a record for me!). His name is Rabih. (Pronounced Ra-b-ah) He works at the hair salon at the Monarch Hotel. Very pricey, but he's a great colorist. At least, I'm happy with his work. I have had two other hairstylists ask who did my color (don't know if they thought it was good or bad, but when I told them Rabih, they said it was a good job. The fact that the know him also may have something to with it!)

What a shame I didn't know about him a few years ago (when I had hair), could have changed my image :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Too late Sage!!

Keep using the head turban, and no one will notice you're bald!!!!!

:D :D :D
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 04, 2009
Tom Jones wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

Too late Sage!!

Keep using the head turban, and no one will notice you're bald!!!!!

:D :D :D

You got me!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 04, 2009

Is it true BB that all men who work as women's hair dressers are gay?

A friend told me that his pretty wife, who loves to have her done more often than he liked, assured him that the handsome guy who does her hair is gay. And she assured him not to ever worry because (according to her, it’s a known fact) that all men who work at women's hair salons are gay!!

But, understandably, he is not buying that.......

:) :)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 04, 2009
Tom Jones wrote:

Is it true BB that all men who work as women's hair dressers are gay?

A friend told me that his pretty wife, who loves to have her done more often than he liked, assured him that the handsome guy who does her hair is gay. And she assured him not to ever worry because (according to her, it’s a known fact) that all men who work at women's hair salons are gay!!

But, understandably, he is not buying that.......

:) :)

Tom, I wouldn't know about all hairdressers!! In the states that may be true with the majority, but can't speak for Dubai. One's sexual preference is something I generally think about.

As for your friend's wife, maybe her hairdress is gay and she has herself some eye candy!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Oct 06, 2009
Thanks guys for your help..and on the note of gay hairdressers - I have never come across a straight guy hairdresser - yet?!! :D
ellyclarke1
Dubai Forum Guest

Oct 06, 2009
about 2 years back I was recommended this salon in Dubai Marin. Had the same request, turn my dark brown hair into mid ash. since always had dark hair before, I didn't know its a process that might take 2-3 sessions and they didn't bother to inform me. bottom line, came out with a hair color looking like fresh baby kaka :? looked absolutely horrible. and they would not even admit their mistake

so don't go there, too much attitude and very little satisfaction
raidah
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Oct 06, 2009
raidah wrote:about 2 years back I was recommended this salon in Dubai Marin. Had the same request, turn my dark brown hair into mid ash. since always had dark hair before, I didn't know its a process that might take 2-3 sessions and they didn't bother to inform me. bottom line, came out with a hair color looking like fresh baby kaka :? looked absolutely horrible. and they would not even admit their mistake

Funny thing with hairdressers - they all know what they are doing!!! Some years ago went to the Salon at the Rotana on SZR. All Lebanese hairdressers - so English was a bit of a struggle. I always had them wash and blow dry my hair. Now, if I say so myself, I have great hair. Thick, natural curly - hairdressers love working with it. Anywho, told him I wanted it cut short where I can go "wash and dry" if I chose to.

Well I left there looking like a throw back to the 60s with a huge Afro!!! Was so shocked I even paid for that disaster!!! In the afternoon I was in another hair salon getting it all cut off!!!

Lebanese are good at one thing: blow drying and creating big hair styles. They should apply for jobs in Texas. Never a shortage of women wanting "big hair".
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Oct 06, 2009
thats why, except if I want some major changes in my hair, which I cannot do myself, for coloring, blow drying and normal cut I don't bother to go anywhere, but instead do it myself
raidah
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Oct 07, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
raidah wrote:about 2 years back I was recommended this salon in Dubai Marin. Had the same request, turn my dark brown hair into mid ash. since always had dark hair before, I didn't know its a process that might take 2-3 sessions and they didn't bother to inform me. bottom line, came out with a hair color looking like fresh baby kaka :? looked absolutely horrible. and they would not even admit their mistake

Funny thing with hairdressers - they all know what they are doing!!! Some years ago went to the Salon at the Rotana on SZR. All Lebanese hairdressers - so English was a bit of a struggle. I always had them wash and blow dry my hair. Now, if I say so myself, I have great hair. Thick, natural curly - hairdressers love working with it. Anywho, told him I wanted it cut short where I can go "wash and dry" if I chose to.

Well I left there looking like a throw back to the 60s with a huge Afro!!! Was so shocked I even paid for that disaster!!! In the afternoon I was in another hair salon getting it all cut off!!!

Lebanese are good at one thing: blow drying and creating big hair styles. They should apply for jobs in Texas. Never a shortage of women wanting "big hair".

Hey ur like me..I walk into the snip shop and I tell the guy, The hairstyle I seek is 'wash and wear'. Simple! I'll wash it and I'll wear it, no futhur hassles! :D
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 08, 2009
Hi,
Could any one please tell me where I can find a good hairdresser in Dubai specializing in African hair?
I am getting quite desperate and have been going around with a headscarf!! Thanks!
ahmed45
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 08, 2009
ahmed45 wrote:Hi,
Could any one please tell me where I can find a good hairdresser in Dubaispecializing in African hair?
I am getting quite desperate and have been going around with a headscarf!! Thanks!

I'm a bit confused. Are you male of female?? Nic is "Ahmed".
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Oct 08, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
Could any one please tell me where I can find a good hairdresser in Dubaispecializing in African hair?

Imagine, a dude with a scarf :)
abyssdesire
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 08, 2009
abyssdesire wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:

Imagine, a dude with a scarf :)

I was!!! Closest I could get was "do-rag".
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

child name ahmed Oct 08, 2009
I am female its my child name ahmed
ahmed45
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: child name ahmed Oct 08, 2009
ahmed45 wrote:I am female its my child name ahmed

Off track I know, but can I ask what is the purpose of your tag?? Providing a link to "doctors".

Getting back on track, is it safe to assume that the texture of your hair is the same as, what we refer to in the US, as Afro-American hair? I am sure there are a few salons that specialize in that particular hair texture, but I don't think you would find them in the "high end" areas.

On the other hand, is your hair naturally curly, with very tight curls and ringlets? If so, let it grow out - when grown out it's absolutely beautiful. My niece hated her hair until she let it grow long and I am so so jealous. She has gorgeous hair. She used to hate it, now she can't stop admiring it!!

What I would suggest is that if you see someone who has the same texture hair as your's (and that is what it is all about!), go up and ask them where they get their hair done. I am sure they would be happy to share that information, of course that's assuming they have a hairdresser.

Good luck on your search.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Hair dresser help Oct 28, 2009
ellyclarke1 wrote:Hi - I'm doing to crazy thing and changing my brown/black hair to more of a blonde/Jennifer Anison colour. Naturally i am petrified as havent had a great experience with salons ever so need some help to find a good, hair dresser that wont make me want to shave my hair off straight after.

Do any of you know anywhere - who are excellent with colour even the darkest colour to a very light brown??

Thanks A lot :D

050 1517347 - highly proffesional mobile hairdresser , normal rates, book well-in advance. Have been using her for last 2 years for haircut, highlights and colour. Cheers!
dxb_summ
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum