Getting Job In Banking Line, Any Advise?

Topic locked
Getting job in Banking line, any advise? Feb 13, 2006
Hi,

Can somebody advise me if I've 10yrs experience in the banking sector in Singapore (mostly dealing with loan application & service sector) holding a Diploma in Sale & Marketing, what are the chances of getting a job in the banking line in Dubai? Est. salary is it within the range of DHM10,000 to DHM12,000?

Kindly advise, thank you very much :)

Regards :flower:

sunflower
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 13, 2006
You might be lucky, but I doubt it.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oh? Feb 14, 2006
Why is that unlikely? Or perhaps which part of that is unliekly?

The financial industry is in high gear from what I gathered in the news.
Guilo2
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2006
Dependant on your ethnic background, the last part.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 14, 2006
Wow... that's a shock. Even with 10+ years of experience?

What's a reasonable number?
Guilo2
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2006
Maite, there's people here holding bachelor and masters degrees with decent experience and able to only command minimal wage. Just a case of too many resources so that drives the market rate down - what may seem low to you may not be for 100/1000s of others out there.

What's your nationality?
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 14, 2006
Singaporean should be a reasonable guess.

AED10,000 - AED12,000 sounds within reach if you bring with you the right set of core competencies and if those are what the banks are looking for.

Have met up with several of our bankers/brokers here and the impression I got was a healthy one, when it comes to hiring practices. Naturally, having Middle Eastern experience would give you an edge, especially if you're doing sales. Competition is thick, no question about that, as XRM pointed out.

Are you also in the financial industry, XRW? Exciting times.
Guilo2
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2006
Guilo I've been trying to get some info on banking industry. I'm a US citizen and have about five years of exp. What I gathered so far is that I should be able to make around 20000 dhs... it's a ballpark figure. I will be ok with it. I think bieng US national plays a role here. Have you talk to any banks representative directly regarding finidng opportunities???
TapuUSA
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 15, 2006
Guilo2 wrote:Singaporean should be a reasonable guess.

Are you also in the financial industry, XRW? Exciting times.

I always try to make it a point not to make assumptions - always better to ask than to offend.

So to speak mate, Financial Analyst but for an O&G MNC.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 15, 2006
TapuUSA wrote:What I gathered so far is that I should be able to make around 20000 dhs... it's a ballpark figure. I will be ok with it. I think bieng US national plays a role here. Have you talk to any banks representative directly regarding finidng opportunities???

T, although ur nationality and experience plays a role here ethnicity also comes into the equation. You need to look at the market dynamics here before putting a $/Dhs value on your qualities - ie who is competing for your job.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 15, 2006
i'm a citizen n i'm willing to work n earn less then wat u guyz r askin 4 n hopin

i'm fine with 7,000 DHS, but no 1 is willing 2 hire us :cry: :(
AD__REP
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 15, 2006
TapuUSA: That's a healthy sum... good for you. As I just arrived, with a new job in hand, it wasn't in my mind to start seeking out alternative employment opportunities.

XRW: I was referring to Sunflower when I said Singaporean. I'm Malaysian. Been here long? This thread was of particular interest because I was in investment banking prior to this.

AD_REP: What are your core competencies or rather were you able to match your qualifications/experience to the jobs you applied for?
Guilo2
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2006
G: I know you were referring to SF. I'm half Thai, half Singaporean Australian citizen sharing 6 ethnic backgrounds (Scottish, Armenian, Portuguese, Malay, Chinese, Thai) - I guess you can compare me to 'rojak'. Been here since June last year mate.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 15, 2006
XRW: That's quite a list you have there. You come a close second to a Welsh I know... if I can call him that LOL! I think he's got more ethnic backgrounds in him than the number of countries I've been to. Well, the same with you.

So, were you in Singapore or Australia before June of last year?

Been here a month and a half now but I still can't tell if I like Dubai. Don't get me wrong, it is comfortable... and there's a ready supply of salt and vinegar chips. Hmm... so what's there not to like.

Cheers!
Guilo2
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2006
I was based in Indonesia before getting relocated here.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 16, 2006
XR- I guess u are right on ethnicity... although I'm a US citizen I'm not white and some people told me that white ethnicity usually have upper hand there.. any thoughts????
TapuUSA
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 16, 2006
Tapu, you're still being too vague about not being 'white'. I hate making assumptions but for this I make an exception and will just generalize that if you're ethnic background is similar to what's readily available in the market here then you would be better off working back in the US.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 16, 2006
TapuUSA wrote:XR- I guess u are right on ethnicity... although I'm a US citizen I'm not white and some people told me that white ethnicity usually have upper hand there.. any thoughts????

So then what background are you????

Non-white can mean anything....

Indian, Black, Chinese, Arab, etc.... Which one?
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 16, 2006
XRW- I should've mentioned, I was born in Bangladesh and what I understand from your comments is that it might have a negative influence.... The salary range that I posted earlier is what I make here now and I was thinking if I had gotten the similar amount I'll go there and it'll be an experience.... I'm planning to visit in June and trying to set up few interviews.. Hoping i'll have a clear picture then,,, Thanx to folks like you at the forums. I kinda know now what to expect or not to expect ....keep on posting....
TapuUSA
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 16, 2006
TapuUSA wrote:Thanx to folks like you at the forums

I'll take that as some sort of compliment, I guess. In any case, just keeping it real here. Picking up and moving is not exactly the easiest choice to make and I figure the more info (negative or not) you receive, the better educated you are and more likely a better a decision is made. In hindsight I wish I had found this forum prior to moving over - would have made it a whole easier and less stressful!

I would suggest you try to search for appropriate postings prior to coming that will include a relocation offer. Your ethnicity might be against you in this part of the world but nothing can stop you from trying - you don't get if you don't try.

Goodluck.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum