Fitness Club Recommendation

Topic locked
Fitness club recommendation May 30, 2007
Hello all.
I have just rocked up in Dubai and am looking for a health or fitness club. I am based in Sheikh Zayed Road but and willling to drive reasonable distance to go to the right club. I was a member of Holmes Place back in london and that had a good mix of clases (spinning and pilates) and cardio machines. It also had a spa. Is there anything like this around here?

Any recommendations would be gratefully received ! I plan to check them out this weekend !

Cheers !

turbo_tamago
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 31, 2007
Depends how much you want to pay. All the hotels have their own gyms and there are various clubs around, like the Aviation Club.

However there are several Fitness First gyms around the city now. They're pretty much the only people who let you pay your membership monthly, and all the classes are included in the price.

www.fitnessfirst.ae

I go there and I'm very happy!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 01, 2007
choco,
how much is it a month for this gym? it looks like it offers that i'm lookin for.
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Fitness club recommendation Jun 01, 2007
turbo_tamago wrote:Hello all.
I have just rocked up in Dubai and am looking for a health or fitness club. I am based in Sheikh Zayed Road but and willling to drive reasonable distance to go to the right club. I was a member of Holmes Place back in london and that had a good mix of clases (spinning and pilates) and cardio machines. It also had a spa. Is there anything like this around here?

Any recommendations would be gratefully received ! I plan to check them out this weekend !

Cheers !

Try Pyramids at http://waficity.com/waficitymall/index.htm
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 01, 2007
Erm it's normally around 450 Dhs a month and of course you have the joining fees etc. But much of the time they have special offers where they reduce the joining fees and monthly rates. The best bet is to go look at the new one in the Burjuman, as it's nearly finished, they still have their founder member offers running.

And with Fitness First Plus, when you join one of those (either Mirdiff or Burjuman), you can go use any of their gyms anywhere.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 01, 2007
... anywhere in the world i might add

Also check out the big apple gym in emirates towers:

http://www.jumeirahemiratestowers.com/a ... big_apple/
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 03, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:Erm it's normally around 450 Dhs a month and of course you have the joining fees etc. But much of the time they have special offers where they reduce the joining fees and monthly rates. The best bet is to go look at the new one in the Burjuman, as it's nearly finished, they still have their founder member offers running.

And with Fitness First Plus, when you join one of those (either Mirdiff or Burjuman), you can go use any of their gyms anywhere.

Wow...450 Dhs a month? Thats more than twice as much as what I paid for my Aussie membership, and that was global membership too...damn, wish I hadn't cancelled it...
DeeDee
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jun 04, 2007
good gyms are a bit costly here.

on sheikh zayed road

try big apple, shangrila, or fitness first at DIFC ( i guess its open now, correct me if i am wrong, if u plan to join that, lemme know will put in a word to the manager out there).fitness first at burjuman charges 375 per month, which is in a offer. I personally workout at nautilus and pay around 400 per month, thats no frills( just the gym, sauna, steam and pool).

cheers,

J
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 04, 2007
As I said, if you join the Fitness First Burjuman during the offer period, because it's a Fitness First Plus, you can use any of the other Fitness First Gyms, you don't have to specifically go to that one.

DIFC is not finished yet.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 04, 2007
FITNESS FIRST

Somewhat, cheap and cheerful :)
mighty.one
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 04, 2007
DeeDee wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Erm it's normally around 450 Dhs a month and of course you have the joining fees etc. But much of the time they have special offers where they reduce the joining fees and monthly rates. The best bet is to go look at the new one in the Burjuman, as it's nearly finished, they still have their founder member offers running.

Wow...450 Dhs a month? Thats more than twice as much as what I paid for my Aussie membership, and that was global membership too...damn, wish I hadn't cancelled it...

There are some gyms in the Karama area too. I believe the rates are half that amount. More for a trainer I think.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 05, 2007
Theres a nautilus in karama, really cheap, 750 for three months get another month free. and just a couple of signals away the other nautilus charges u 1700 for three months+ 1 month free :shock:
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 17, 2008
Hello! After visit fitness first site I'd like to know more about another clubs in Dubai.
Could anyone post some links to Dubai fitness clubs sites?

And, by the way..... how much fitness first costs now?
Navigator
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2008
I'd really recommend the Aviation club in Al Garhoud.

www.aviationclub.ae

Yeah, it may look a bit expensive at first, but it's kind of like a 'lifestyle' club, as opposed to just a fitness centre.... and of course, there may be some 'discounts' arrangeable if you turn up in person.

Of course, you'd also get a 20% discount at all the restaurants in Century village, and the 'Cellar' is attached to the Aviation club, which is a great place for a few beers and some good food. Very friendly staff in the whole place too.

Spa, gym, swimming pool, restaurant, and soon there'll be an attached hotel. The whole deal is pretty relaxing and laid back... though, ouch! bit hard on the wallet initially!
mbwa shenzi
Dubai Forums Member

Thanks for the top tip Jan 23, 2009
Hi,

after the post above about membership of fitness first being cheeper in australia, it got me thinking,

I just got off the phone with the dundee branch of fittness first, they setup over the phone a platinum membership price with managers special offer 150AED per month, obviously in sterling

platinum allows me to use all clubs world wide at top level of membership, they were even good enough to post all the cards etc to my dubai address :)

well worth considering for expats that still have addresses and accounts they can use back home.
M0le
Dubai Forum Guest

forgot Jan 23, 2009
oh yeah.. and no joing fees either
M0le
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Thanks for the top tip Jan 26, 2009
Hi MOle

I was previously a member of Fitness First in the UK and completely didn't think to do this.

How much in total have you had to pay, and have they set up a direct debit for the 150 AED, i want to do this asap and would really appreciate your help.

Did you just speak to the membership team, any advice would be fab.

I'm excited now, was thinking the UAE membership rates were just ridiculous.

Thanks for your help.

:-)
Mouthwash
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: Thanks for the top tip Nov 09, 2009
M0le wrote:Hi,

after the post above about membership of fitness first being cheeper in australia, it got me thinking,

I just got off the phone with the dundee branch of fittness first, they setup over the phone a platinum membership price with managers special offer 150AED per month, obviously in sterling

platinum allows me to use all clubs world wide at top level of membership, they were even good enough to post all the cards etc to my dubai address :)

well worth considering for expats that still have addresses and accounts they can use back home.

hey i was just wondering if u cud shed some more information as how u got this to work. cuz wen i spoke to fitness first at mirdiff they wer like we dont accept uk fitness first memberships
thanks
ozzy212
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Nov 14, 2009
i personally prefer clubs inside hotels. although the ballys is not bad
DubaiInformationSite
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 17, 2009
heard there is newly open Core studio in Marina?
angel 4
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum