Enrolling My Daughter Into A New School....Brit!!

Topic locked
Enrolling my daughter into a new school....Brit!! Aug 24, 2009
Hi there,

I'm just getting my work VISA sorted and I intend to get my 10yr old daughter into a Dubai school for the next September term start. My main question is if I intend to enrol my daughter by next September when can I expect to be paying the school fees. Assuming that the annual fees are around 60,000AED when do I pay then them? Do I pay it all a few months before, part and part? I know all schools might be slightly different but it would be helpful to know what needs paying and when. Help!!
Many thanks,

Stuart

SMUNRO1970
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Enrolling my daughter into a new school....Brit!! Aug 24, 2009
SMUNRO1970 wrote:Hi there,

I'm just getting my work VISA sorted and I intend to get my 10yr old daughter into a Dubai school for the next September term start. My main question is if I intend to enrol my daughter by next September when can I expect to be paying the school fees. Assuming that the annual fees are around 60,000AED when do I pay then them? Do I pay it all a few months before, part and part? I know all schools might be slightly different but it would be helpful to know what needs paying and when. Help!!
Many thanks,

Stuart

Stuart, I think the best source would be the school you intend to send your child to. You said yourself "schools might be slightly different". :roll:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Aug 25, 2009
You need to pay prior to each term.
Assuming that the fees are around 60,000 per year, this will be 20,000 per term.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 27, 2009
I don't know where you've found such an expensive school! I studied here for 6 to 8 thousand a year - and that's with the GCSE London results at the end, not some shady certificate.
Really, the most expensive "school" that charges so much is the American University in Dubai, and that's probably the only one. I suggest you get your facts straighter...

As far as payment is concerned, it is usually broken up into terms, with some part of the payment paid at the beginning, after the child was accepted in school, but I assume before he began studying. The other parts are usually paid around the first-term exams, and maybe there would be another time, and lastly, before the final exams.
clamspirit
Dubai Forum Visitor

thanks Aug 27, 2009
cheers for that,

my daughter is only 10 but its good to know that we dont have to pay it all in one go!

regards

Stuart
SMUNRO1970
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 21, 2009
clamspirit wrote:I don't know where you've found such an expensive school!

There are several schools that charge that and more. Repton Dubai and Dubai World Academy are 90k.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 21, 2009
clamspirit wrote:I don't know where you've found such an expensive school! I studied here for 6 to 8 thousand a year - and that's with the GCSE London results at the end, not some shady certificate.
Really, the most expensive "school" that charges so much is the American University in Dubai, and that's probably the only one. I suggest you get your facts straighter...

As far as payment is concerned, it is usually broken up into terms, with some part of the payment paid at the beginning, after the child was accepted in school, but I assume before he began studying. The other parts are usually paid around the first-term exams, and maybe there would be another time, and lastly, before the final exams.

That's quite poor information.

There are a lot more expensive schools here that actually provide top quality education, Dubai College and Jumeirah college are just two that have students regularly going on to Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard, etc. You get what you pay for.

If you are in the UK, UAE schools will generally allow your child to sit their entrance exams under supervision at their current UK school. Some cost is involved.

Check here as a place to start:
http://www.gsgi.co.uk/site
also:
http://www.dubaifaqs.com/schools-dubai.php

At least he was right in that you pay over three terms each year. Some schools will ask for a placeholder payment while considering your child's application, which may or may not be refundable.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 14, 2009
On this same note, can anyone suggest a VERY GOOD BRITISH SCHOOL for a 6 year old (year 1)?

We are arriving in March and he will start in April. We don't know where to start looking...it's hard to get information from here...every school looks the same!
eusweetheart
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum