Enough To Live On

Topic locked
Enough to live on Sep 16, 2007
Hi...wife...2 kids...12,000 - 14,000 dhs/month + house and probably a small car allowance. Is that enough to live on? Is that enough to save a bit of money on? Neither my wife or myself are big into buying lots of things. And it's not like we get out a lot with a 3 year old and a new born. So if we're smart with our money can we save?

Cheers

giggsy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 16, 2007
How much the salary is relative. It depends on your lifestyle and expectations.

But considering your accommodation and transportation would have been taken care of and assuming that your 3yo child wouldn't go to expensive Westernish kindergarten (5-6K pm), in general (mid-class) it's enough to save few thousands.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 16, 2007
i'd get them to define "house" or if you mean housing allowance, get it cleared up first off before you evaluate your offer further.

if for example, you are from the uk, your current standard of housing is likely to cost you between 6 and 8k per month (minimum) and that would be for an apartment! if your employer only covers 2 or 3 then you're in trouble. a decently finished, 3 br house in a "good" neighbourhood is going to set you back about 14 - 16 k per month easily!!!
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Sep 18, 2007
Yeah, I agree with the above. You need to clarify what they're offering you in the way of accommodation (will you need to buy furniture? will they also cover DEWA bills etc?). Also clarify the car allowance - cars aren't too expensive here but you'll almost certainly need two.

If you do have furnished accommodation fully paid for and enough to cover the cost of buying and running at least one car, then your biggest expenses are covered - you won't save a huge amount but you'll get by.

A good nursery will set you back around 6-7K per term, by the way, not per month, so that's affordable within your budget as well.
jayzed
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2007
Thanks for the responses!
giggsy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum