Dubai Vs. USA???

Topic locked
Dubai vs. USA??? Jul 10, 2007
Hello all,
I am new here and would like to ask some very important questions. I am an European person living and working in the USA. Recently, I was offered a position in Dubai with almost the same salary. I like living in the USA; at the same time, I really wonder living in Dubai. Since you guys are living in Dubai, I really appreciate any suggestions you can give. Should I stay in the USA or should I go to Dubai???

MC.

mcescher
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 10, 2007
Where in the USA do you live ? Comparing Dubai to a town in Wisconsin is different than comparing it to Los Angeles !!

Also why don't you come for a couple of weeks to Dubai to check it out before you make a decision ?
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

not in LA... Jul 10, 2007
I am not living in any of those big cities in USA. It is more like a town without any diversity or cultural activities. However, I use to live in large city.
mcescher
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: not in LA... Jul 10, 2007
mcescher wrote:I am not living in any of those big cities in USA. It is more like a town without any diversity or cultural activities. However, I use to live in large city.

That doesn't say much. You could be living in a small town just ouside NYC, LA, San Fransisco, Chicago, Miami, etc. and there would be no comparison to Dubai. But if you are in a town outside of Green Bay, Wisconsin then you would want to get the hell out of there.

If you can be more specific pehaps some advice can be given. Don't worry if we need to find exactly were you live we already have enought informationn about you from your first post thanks to George Bush!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Questions, questions... Jul 10, 2007
Hello All,
I know I have to be more specific; however, for various reasons, I need to keep my location hidden. I am also aware of that one can find my information if s/he wants to.
Let me tell you this... I live in a town where max. 40.000 people live. It is in the middle of corn and soy bean fields. Recently, I was offered a position which has a salary around $40.000/year. They will provide housing, annual tickets, utilities, and some benefits.
This is almost the same amount that I usually make after tax in USA. I am also married with no child. What do you think about women working in Dubai? Do you think that my spouse can work under spouse visa? (I do not know the term... Sorry...)
One more question... What is your initial reactions when you arrived to Dubai first?
Oh... One more thing... Is there any more organic food/grocery stores than "organic cafe"?

Thank you in advance...
mcescher
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 10, 2007
haha sounds like des moine or somewhere in iowa :D

first question, spouses working, probably 30% of the expat population are women. no problems with working. an additional income is also a handy thing to have if you are planning to save. your wife would be under your residency sponsorship, if she was wanting to work she would have to apply for and get a labour card (labour sponsorship) from her employer. see some of the other recent postings for moe info on this.

Bare in mind the "set-up" costs of moving to dubai, deposit for housing, telephone, vehicles etc... draw up a prliminary budget and see if it makes sense.

initial reaction "WOW" ... which gradually erroded over a period of months and then years :lol: :lol: :lol: i suppose you become de-sensitised to all the building, traffic problems and glitz :lol:

point, check your local state tax office, some US citizens still have to pay certain taxes even if working in Dubai - i'm not very clued up on this, so check!

only one organic food chain, as far as i know they have two outlets, one in mankhool/ al diyaffa and the other in the greens (close to the montgomery golf course). organic is not yet a fad in dubai (with the exeption of a fair number of expats), the rest belong to the mcdonalds generation :lol:

you live in a "hidden location", in the middle of a cornfield, surrounded my miles and miles of nothing... your'e not a retrenched missile silo supervisor are you? :lol: :lol:
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jul 10, 2007
Thank you very much for tips...

You are close... Almost Iowa...
Anyway, What do you think about the salary??? Do you think that I would be OK with that?
Thanks.
mcescher
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 11, 2007
The salary will of course depends on the job you will be doing and your qualifications however for a European Dhs. 10,500 PM is not a great salary.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jul 11, 2007
Ok... I need to open up then... I know this topic had been discussed to death, however, I could not find any useful information for university professors.

What I was offered:

Almost $40.000 / year
In campus Housing allowance,
%50 medical with no dental or vision.
Annual 2 months vacation with airline tickets
End of service package...

So what do you think?

In USA, I make almost the same...

Thank you in advance...
mcescher
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 11, 2007
Oh, by the way... Is there any college teacher/professor in this forum? If so, Please let me know...
mcescher
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 11, 2007
mcescher wrote:Ok... I need to open up then... I know this topic had been discussed to death, however, I could not find any useful information for university professors.

What I was offered:

Almost $40.000 / year

12, 200 odd per month, not great, but then teaching seems to be a very under paid career in the uae.

In campus Housing allowance,

you mean they have staff accommodation on site and still have the balls to charge you to make use of it? if it's a nominal charge then fine, but if it's market related then what is the advantage of staying on the premises (besides the transport saving)

%50 medical with no dental or vision.
at present, all expatriates are complusory members of the governement scheme as well, which entitles you to use a government hospital/ facilities; there is talk of stopping this requirement and employers placing expats onto private schemes as a requirement. 50% does not sound like a great plan at all!

Annual 2 months vacation with airline tickets
this is pretty good, most teaching staff have longer holidays due to the long school holidays (in summer). just ensure that this is paid leave!

End of service package...
this is the compulsory "gratuity" that every employee in the uae is entitled to under the labour law, it is subject to certain conditions though - such as full completion of the contract period. this should not be seen as a perk as it is given by law.

So what do you think?

In USA, I make almost the same...

Thank you in advance...
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jul 11, 2007
sage & onion wrote:The salary will of course depends on the job you will be doing and your qualifications however for a European Dhs. 10,500 PM is not a great salary.

"For a European" :lol:
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dubai vs. San Francisco Jul 13, 2007
If you have equal conditions, what would you prefer? Dubai or San Francisco???
mcescher
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 14, 2007
you'd have to pay taxes on that salary and your rent will be much higher in san fran. i've there before and it was very expensive. i just made the move out here myself and have enjoyed it so far. and the checks are nice without havin to lose 35% for taxes
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 14, 2007
nuzbim wrote:and your rent will be much higher in san fran.

It will? Dubai rent for good 1 bdrm apartment about $2000 per month

mcescher wrote:In campus Housing allowance,

You get allowance or accommodation? An allowance is not usually enough to pay for decent accommodation in Dubai.

$40k per year is about 12,000 dhs per month. If it's HCT then you're at the bottom end of their salary scale. Like dxbsoul says, not great for a university lecturer but you'll live well enough if on your own and accommodation supplied or fully paid for.

Some institutions offer end of service package that's better than minimum legal requirement.

This might be useful for you - info about teaching in Dubai, and universities in Dubai.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jul 14, 2007
bonk wrote:
nuzbim wrote:and your rent will be much higher in san fran.

It will? Dubai rent for good 1 bdrm apartment about $2000 per month

mcescher wrote:In campus Housing allowance,

You get allowance or accommodation? An allowance is not usually enough to pay for decent accommodation in Dubai.

$40k per year is about 12,000 dhs per month. If it's HCT then you're at the bottom end of their salary scale. Like dxbsoul says, not great for a university lecturer but you'll live well enough if on your own and accommodation supplied or fully paid for.

Some institutions offer end of service package that's better than minimum legal requirement.

This might be useful for you - info about teaching in Dubai , and universities in Dubai .

Thank you very much reply... I will be given a staff/faculty housing in the campus and I will not pay anything.

That means I will not pay for commuting for work.

Do you still think that it is not a good deal?

Thank you in advance.
mcescher
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum