Dubai On The Cheap?

Topic locked
Dubai on the cheap? Nov 21, 2009
Question for the expats already living in Dubai, as I have already said I’m trying to land the right job for me over there. But it has to work out right so as I can live there plus support a home back in the UK for the first year, as I want to be sure things are going to work out before shipping family over.

So here’s the question, how much do you spend on living cost? Not accommodation, just groceries, travel expenses, utility bills and socializing. I was hoping around 6,000 dirham a month would see me through.

Not looking for the high life in that first twelve months, eat in most nights with satellite TV and basic gym membership.

Thanks,
D.

expatwanabe
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 22, 2009
to give rough estimates in AED:

eat out : 15-40 (lower like fast food, food court, indian/pakistani/arabic food) 40-100 (middle like restaurants) 100+ (upper like hotel buffet or fancy restaurants).

petrol : 6.25 per gallon, average is full tank (10-12 gallon) per week (depends on distance).

utility bill depends on what kind of accommodation : 300-700 (1br apt).

basic gym : about 400 per month (fitness first)

basic groceries : about 1000-1500 per month

tv/internet : 150 and up (depends on package)

if you're single, get a studio or room (shared apartment/villa) with utility bills included. that will reduce the expenses a lot. once you're moving your family in, you get a decent/bigger one.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Dubai on the cheap? Dec 13, 2009
AED 6k could be enough for living costs (excluding accommodation) if you're not extravagant.

AED 500 for utilities and phone
AED 1000-2000 for groceries
AED 1000 for food and beer once (midrange) or twice (budget) a week
AED 2000 for cheap rental car + petrol per month

http://www.dubaifaqs.com/cost-of-living-in-dubai.php
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum