Dubai Or Stay Put In Malaysia?

Topic locked
Dubai or stay put in Malaysia? Aug 25, 2007
Hi all,

I'm considering a move to Dubai from Kuala Lumpur. I'm not Malaysian but have been working here for a few years. Was wondering if anyone could compare the two cities and tell the differences. I like living here as the country is very green and beautiful, people are friendly and the food is great. It's just that I'm itching to move on now and explore unknown territories. Of course the money is better in Dubai but I'm more concerned about the quality of life.

How's Dubai for young families? Do people run or walk in parks, considering it can get really hot? What do kids do after school in that case.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

happyhog
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 26, 2007
I'm originally from Indonesia, so the culture, people, language, and environment are much more the same than in Malaysia. Big city like Jakarta or KL, but I feel more modern (due to fast development).

We're small family too. I chose Dubai over my country off course for the money. Quality of living maybe a little less (because of expensive accommodation). I could rent a 2BR house in a year for a price of one month rent 1BR apt in Dubai! Nature, off course it's far better in tropical country with all the greeneries and more pleasant climate. Other downsides: expensive, lack of social life for kids (kids stay at home or malls, esp in the summer).

But I guess I had to settle here for the reason of money and security, at least for the next 5-10 years until I have enough money to start something (for sure) in home country. Other upsides: I like living in big cities, plenty of foods, being global to meet people around the world.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 10, 2007
Thanks, xty. Sorry for not replying earlier as I was negotiating with my employer. Since you're Indonesia, I guess you're the right person to ask a few more questions. I have a furnished apartment here, and was thinking of bringing/shipping stuff over to Dubai. Do you think it's worth it? Or should I just sell off everything here (simple things like TV, sofa, bookshelves). How expensive is Ikea there? Also, how much relocation do you think i should ask for? Thanks again.
happyhog
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 10, 2007
happyhog wrote:Thanks, xty. Sorry for not replying earlier as I was negotiating with my employer. Since you're Indonesia, I guess you're the right person to ask a few more questions. I have a furnished apartment here, and was thinking of bringing/shipping stuff over to Dubai. Do you think it's worth it? Or should I just sell off everything here (simple things like TV, sofa, bookshelves). How expensive is Ikea there? Also, how much relocation do you think i should ask for? Thanks again.

I sold all my stuffs (big furniture, appliances) when moving from Jakarta to Bahrain as I was renting a house. I could have kept if it were my own house then asked my family to take care or to let it.

On the other time, I brought & shipped 14 big boxes (about 70-80 kgs) of my stuffs (not big furniture as I rented furnished apartment) from Bangkok to Dubai. I used DHL which costs me around $1400. By sea could have been cheaper (though a lot longer to reach), but I had not minimum weight of 114 kgs.

If you can get relocation cost paid by the new employer, that would be a good option, as many expats also asked the same way. I have no idea how much. Maybe you can ask one of movers there to estimate.

If you are planning to stay in Dubai for long time and company doesn't pay you for the relocation, better to sell out there and purchase big things in Dubai. After all, you'll never know what kind of accommodation (the area space) you will get in Dubai until you had one.

Allocate about 10K AED (basics) to 25K AED (complete) for furnishing. Some of my stuffs are from IKEA and they are good. Roughly: sofa/sofa bed 400-1000+, closets 400-1000+. Appliances: fridge 500-800+, washing machine 400-1000+, TV 29" 800+, etc.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 10, 2007
Is that $1400 AED or USD? Would you know if Ikea there is cheaper or same as in Malaysia or Indonesia?
Thanks
happyhog
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 10, 2007
I know nothing about Malasya but hopefully will visit there in November. I was in Singapore last October. I loved the greenery of Singapore, how civilized and quiet it was. I am told Singapore is similarly green but not as quiet, etc.

I would say that unless you are making great money in Dubai, I would not move to Dubai. And "great money" is relative. For example making twice what you make in Malasya does not mean anything if your salary in Malasya is low. Accomodations in Dubai are ridiciously expensive unless you want to be cramped.

Different people have different situations of course but money should be the only incentive. Everything else is nothing special. Unless you come from a really backwards place, in which case you will not command a living wage. Or you have other problems: no work there, etc.

look at this recent post http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=21965 . While it is one person's opinion it is quite accurate and it is better to know before hand...
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 10, 2007
happyhog wrote:Is that $1400 AED or USD? Would you know if Ikea there is cheaper or same as in Malaysia or Indonesia?
Thanks

It was in Thai Baht but equivalent of USD 1400.
There's no IKEA in Indonesia, so no idea about the price comparison.
The rough prices I gave are in AED.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 11, 2007
why not get a job in singapore? i'd think it offers similar wages and you're going to be just 4hr drive from malaysia.. if u have a singapore option i recommend u go there rather than dubai.

my son was asking me yesterday and only then did i realize,, iran is right across dubai,, and of course iraq (my son asked if nuclear bombs were a possibility in dubai). however advanced dubai is,, it canno change its neighbors. i do still want to work there, but the geography is always food for thought.
studstar
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 11, 2007
studstar wrote:why not get a job in singapore? i'd think it offers similar wages and you're going to be just 4hr drive from malaysia.. if u have a singapore option i recommend u go there rather than dubai.

my son was asking me yesterday and only then did i realize,, iran is right across dubai,, and of course iraq (my son asked if nuclear bombs were a possibility in dubai). however advanced dubai is,, it canno change its neighbors. i do still want to work there, but the geography is always food for thought.

Though the country is much better, in general Singapore doesn't give better money than Dubai/Middle East (savings at the end).

Iran/Iraq are thousands kilometers from Dubai. Even one my friend lives/works in Northern Iraq (Sulmaniyah), which is neighboring to Kirkuk, and he said it's peaceful there.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 11, 2007
:shock:
Y
Dubai Forum User

Sep 11, 2007
stay there if your priority is not money. do not go to to dubai! you will regret it later. I have lived in singapore for 1 year. and i miss that city very much. dubai is desert. it is ok to live (better say:surviving) here but i would prefer to move back to singapore if I had a choice.
Y
Dubai Forum User

Sep 11, 2007
stay there if your priority is not money. do not go to to dubai! you will regret it later. I have lived in singapore for 1 year. and i miss that city very much. dubai is desert. it is ok to live (better say:surviving) here but i would prefer to move back to singapore if I had a choice.
Y
Dubai Forum User

Sep 11, 2007
The money is not incredible (around 300k per year, everything included except medical insurance), but might be able to save 2-3kAED a month. Not that it will be enough. you're right about singapore: the salaries are not so great there but cost of living is lower than Dubai and is a nice, quiet and clean city. Very civilised too. Im really not into glitz, pomp and show. I like nature and that's what makes Kuala Lumpur so appealing to me. Clearly, im very confused here.
happyhog
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 11, 2007
ive been to singapore and KL a good number of times and if you the salaries are not that far off i definitely prefer KL. of course, working in SG already gives you a currency headstart which you can use to spend in KL :) but if KL is already pretty good to live in i think.
studstar
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 11, 2007
happyhog wrote:The money is not incredible (around 300k per year, everything included except medical insurance), but might be able to save 2-3kAED a month. Not that it will be enough.

If you're single and willing to stay low (mid-class accommodation), for that salary you can save at least 10K AED per month.
happyhog wrote:you're right about singapore: the salaries are not so great there but cost of living is lower than Dubai and is a nice, quiet and clean city. Very civilised too.

Don't forget about tax in Singapore.
happyhog wrote:Im really not into glitz, pomp and show. I like nature and that's what makes Kuala Lumpur so appealing to me. Clearly, im very confused here.

Then Dubai is not the right place for you ;)
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum