Dubai Social Hang Out For New Canadians / Cool Ppl

Topic locked
Dubai Social Hang out for new Canadians / cool ppl Feb 17, 2006
Hey guyz,

I recently moved to Dubai from Toronto .... Damn its a big change... well I just wana say Hi... and find out that wats goin on and wats new .... I guess we should organize a hang to grow our social circle in dubai by meeting "decent" ppl .......

So guyz and galz if you wana second this please raise your voice....

Something abt me ... Graduated from York Univeristy and currently working in the IT field.... Dubai is good but so far the social life sucks... may cuz i am only 7 months old ;)

uas
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 18, 2006
Man I find Dubai very similar to Toronto, I'm surprised you see it as so different. I lived in the T. for about 15 years before moving to Calgary.

Welcome though, what kinda things are you interested in? Maybe if you post a little about what you're into, likeminded people will respond.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Feb 18, 2006
Welcome
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 18, 2006
hey,

well when i say "big change" i mean its different socially.... its seems to have classes ... well apart from that i guess since i moved here .. i have been so much into work and too much travelling may because of that i am not able to explore much ... so i guess maybe this forum might be a blessing in disguise....

Well as per my interests: travelling, CARS(autodrome is fun in dubai), fine dinning (BUDABAR is grosvenor house---amazing), Cricket and now i tryin find a nice place for jet skiing ...

I am 24 year old and here to have fun !!! and get some blings ;)

So wat abt you guyz are u in dubai as well fayz and arniegang?
uas
Dubai Expat Wannabe

TO to Dubai Feb 22, 2006
Gents and other Canucks,

I'll be arriving in May and I've been networking with a few people here. Went and met a couple here last week, he was born there, she is CDN by birth and home.

Anyways, once we roll out, which is sadly May 01, when it gets hot, we'll have a Canuck fest. I'll be living with a CDN couple that have been there for a while and they have many set ups.

Things on the list to do include, and not immediately b/c it's going to be scorching hot:

Snorkelling, campin in desert, Kite boarding, sand dune boarding, snowboarding at Ski Dubai, wanna learn how to surf and apparently they are building a shelf to create a surf haven..so we'll have to wait. Trips to the mountains to cliff jump..I guess there are pools of turqiouse with waterfalls...I don't know where they are, but the people I've met do!

That's just the start..and obviously I'll be mainly indoor for 3-4 months b/c of the crazy heat and humidity, so it'll have to wait.

PM me if you want to know more details on when I arrive. Congrats on the big move, I'm very social in TO as I've been here for 7 yrs and am looking forward to the move, it's a long story why I'm moving..but alas, we'll connect when we're all there.

As far as I know I'll be in Jebel Ali for the first while then looking to move out on me own.

PM me some details let me know what kinds of things you were into in TO, I'm also 24, but will be 25 by the time I move...and Canadian by all rights! I currently live off College Street past Bathurst so I'm right in the thick of Little Italy and exploit that to its fullest!

You heard about the Mighty Camels? Might be something worth checking out.

Cheers,

Trev
TOTrev
Dubai Forum User

good to know Feb 27, 2006
hey guys.

good to see some torontonians here. i just got here as well, and will be starting work soon.

spent the past few weeks doing the essential tourist stuff: desert safari, dubai marina walk, madinat jumeirah, etc.

now i'm tired of gawking at new buildings and really need to see some greenery fast!
terranova
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 27, 2006
Welcome! I'm keen to hang out with some fellow Canadians at some point. There are some Canadian groups in Dubai - the embassy sends out the info when you register with them.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Feb 27, 2006
BLAME CANADA !!!!
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Expat Mag-CDN/North Americans Feb 27, 2006
Hello All,

OK, the other thing I need to mention is that I will be rooming for the first couple months during the job hunt with a CDN couple from Toronto, originally, but have been in Dubai for I think 3 or 4 yrs and the woman is the editor for Liberty Expat magazine which is, if I understand correctly, the magazine for Expats from CDN/North America.

So, I'll be sure to keep all abreast on events as I hear of them and how this pertains to the magazine. I know she attends many things....and of course it would be great to hang with Canucks!

See you all very soon! Let's keep this thread alive by throwing around some ideas of things to do/plan.

Cheers,

Trev
TOTrev
Dubai Forum User

Feb 27, 2006
Its nice to see the crowd coming togather... Kenalli - that sounds nice - is there a website for registration?

Even though I have been in Dubai for 6 months now but i hardly stay in Dubai ... Its all Travelling .....

I will be back in dxb by wednesday so see ya guyz on friday...

latez

Maple Leafs Rulezzzz
Btw ... ne one here from Markham
uas
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 28, 2006
Here is the link where Canadians abroad to register themselves online (or bring a printout into the consulate or embassy in person). http://www.voyage.gc.ca/main/sos/rocapage-en.asp
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

awesome link Feb 28, 2006
gotta love the canadian govt. for setting up things like that. good to know they take care of us abroad 8)

hey uas, i'm from richmond hill.. close enough?

i saw a listing in the yellow pages about a "club for canadians". wasn't too sure what that is? anybody know?
terranova
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: awesome link Feb 28, 2006
terranova wrote:gotta love the canadian govt. for setting up things like that. good to know they take care of us abroad 8)

hey uas, i'm from richmond hill.. close enough?

i saw a listing in the yellow pages about a "club for canadians". wasn't too sure what that is? anybody know?

Send me a pm with your email address and I’ll forward on the latest Club for Canadians newsletter, they come out sporadically and are pretty good, organizing a few events including desert camping and other excursions. They even have Canada day and thanksgiving events
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Feb 28, 2006
Hey Fayz, how come I don't get one? You have my e-mail addy. :)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 01, 2006
sorry for the delay, work is insane today, you've both been mailed.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Planing to relocate to Dubai Jun 04, 2006
Hi Canadian Residents in Dubai :
Bonjour, I am planning to relocate to Dubai for various reasons.
Keen to figure out from where do I start? I am in the IT field for more 10 years now with multiple degress in Eng. and Comp.Sci holding key technical-managerial positions in very large multinationals and hold a canadian passport and currently on a working visa in the states.
Any genuine suggestions are welcome.
thanks,
ganesan_k@hotmail.com
ganesan
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum