Dubai - Relocation From The UK

Topic locked
Dubai - relocation from the UK May 07, 2007
Hi

We are making some progress with our move, but still I have many questions :?, so here goes:

- Property available to rent: Does it tend to be furnished or unfurnished?

- With the actual move, is it best to bring as little as possible, or to pack up everything but the kitchen sink (inc furniture, electrical appliances etc)

- Is it possible to bring pets (we have 2 cats) and if so, what do I need to do?

Once again any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Paula

Paula
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 08, 2007
Hi, we are also moving out to Dubai - hubby in June and i hope to follow in September. All new to me. I have a dog and 2 cats and have been told i can take them across. I had a quote for the dog - labrador - £1000 - but I am more than happy to pay for him to come. That covers everything. I am currently getting other quotes and can let you know how I go on.
Our villa is furnished and we plan to take only the smaller items and personal things. I would like to add to the furniture but plan to have a look at what expats going home are selling as these tend to be good quality and fairly cheap, particularly if they have only been there for 12 months.
Ive had a bit of a scout round for satellite packages and sad that I am I would like to still get the english channels as well as the sport. Someone has told me I can link sky through a box of some description, or there are other cable/satellite companies that are bringing on more and more stations by the week.
I will probably trawl through the threads on this site as ive only just found out about the move - although hubby has worked in dubai before - but its all very daunting, albeit exciting.
Denise
lcfcfem
Dubai Forum Visitor

May 08, 2007
Hi Denise

Thanks for your email and useful advice, it's really good to hear from someone in the same situation...and great especially to hear that the cats can come. Where did you get the quote for your dog, and what does it cover?

Satellite, yes great, I am also sad enough to want some of the UK channels!

My move should be about September too, if all goes according to plan. Are you planning to work in Dubai? I would like to but can't seem to find much in my line of work (marketing).

Hope to hear from you again.

Paula
Paula
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 10, 2007
Hi Paula,

For the quote on the dog I went through Animal Airlines, via the internet and sent a quote on-line. They were very quick at getting back to me. Another one I want to look at is Petair so at least I can see if quotes are good or bad!!

With the satellite info I was told to keep a UK sky subscription and connect to a slingbox (no idea what this is so a bit more reasearch needed here!!) then feed it through the computer. Also, there are programmes that people in the UK can download and then send via email and I think this service will become available for most programmes fairly soon so at least we can get our nearest and dearest to send the latest across if all else fails.

My hubby used to work in Dubai and Saudi on the rigs but has been back in the UK for 10 years now. His brother has a steel business in Dubai and Ian (HUBBY)has been offered a good package to support the company. So we get a villa (not of our choice but its ok for now) in Mirdiff and school costs for our 10 yr old daughter (should be choosing the schools this week), plus 4x4 for Ian etc . I currently have a good managerial job in the health service with a nursing background , though I would be a bit rusty on the shop floor now. The plan is that I will look for work after a couple of months as I want to settle in first.

I have been out to Dubai as a visitor to the family a few times and all this move has been sprung on us rather quickly so Im busy chasing my tail at the moment. Ian is due to go out in June and Im hoping that if we can get the little one in school and i can sort out all UK issues with housing etc, then I can join in September.

It feels like a lot of hard work at the minute, but Im sure its all going to be worth it in the end!! Half of me is very excited and the other half bloomin scared!

Have you got children, villa sorted etc etc. Denise
lcfcfem
Dubai Forum Visitor

May 10, 2007
With your animals you need an import and export visa. Import from the Ministry of agriculture and fisheries here in Dubai. Talk to your vet about doing the blood work and getting the export visa, they need to have all their vaccinations including rabies.

Talk to DEFRA they're really helpful. Make sure your travel boxes have plenty of room, if you get to the airport and the animal inspectors on site decide the box is not suitable, they'll refuse to fly the animal. Travel boxes must be IATA approved and to DEFRA standards and there are specific measurements you have to make of your animals. They must be able to stand with head clearance, turn around and lie down comfortably.

Book well in advance with your pets as an airline will only travel one families pets at any one time.

This end, be prepared for waiting around as the local vet has to come and meet your animals off the flight and check their health before you're allowed to take them. And watch out for all the crazy dudes at the cargo exit who'll stare and try and poke your pet.

I flew my dog and cat with Emirates from Gatwick and they were brilliant.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 10, 2007
Hi, did you book direct with Emirates for your pets? Animal Airlines total cost covered: freight/airline handling; air kennel; all processing; security checks; but did not include veterinary, boarding, collection, deliver costs. i would like a company that did most of the leg work for me if poss.
lcfcfem
Dubai Forum Visitor

May 10, 2007
Yes I did everything myself. The airlines will insist that someone is either on the flight with the animals, or at the receiving end to meet them.

A good source of info for getting things done this end is Dubai Kennels and Cattery. Google them, they're very helpful.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 10, 2007
The usual way to deal with cats here is to throw them out of a moving car on a busy highway.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

May 11, 2007
That's an unnecessary post you moron. If you have nothing decent to contribute, then don't post anything at all.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 11, 2007
another tv option Ive heard of is http://www.liveuk.tv/ . You get bbc1 to Ch5 streamed onto your PC. Havnt tried it as I think its too expensive at GBP25 per month.

I work pretty long hours and have been able to manage on the mainly American offerings on the local free satellite channels ie Dubai1 and the MBC channels.
Rosbif71
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 13, 2007
Hi All

Thanks for the very helpful posts - with the exception of the one about throwing cats out of cars. I completely agree with Chocoholic on that one - if you have nothing useful to post then post nothing.

Other than that, I've got some great advice from this...many thanks.

Paula
Paula
Dubai Expat Wannabe

The cat's May 20, 2007
Hi Paula,

How's the move progressing for you ?

I've got 2 cat's as well and thinking until smoke comes out of my head whether to leave them behind or not.

They have travelled through various countries with me over the past 10 years, but that was within Europe.

Hope all goes well for you...
Habibi
Dubai Forums Frequenter

May 20, 2007
Careful Gtmash...I think you stepped on a few cats tails! :lol: :lol:
V-Man
Dubai Forums Frequenter

May 20, 2007
V-Man wrote:Careful Gtmash...I think you stepped on a few cats tails! :lol: :lol:

Haha!
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

May 20, 2007
gtmash wrote:
V-Man wrote:Careful Gtmash...I think you stepped on a few cats tails! :lol: :lol:

Haha!

Don't worry about that ;-)
Habibi
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum