Dubai Newbie Expat Needs Help

Topic locked
Dubai Newbie expat needs help Oct 15, 2005
All, i need your help, i'll be soon in Dubai?

I'm a German Egyptian man, got a contract to work in Dubai, here are my questions.
1) Should i get my work visa on the German or Egyptian Passport? Which is easier, which got costs with it?
2) Does Germany required me to pay taxes on my salary from Dubai?
3) Work is in Jabal Ali, What is the good place to stay in nearby and with resonable prices for accomodation (i'm single) ?
4) Got a relative living in Sharjah, Will it be wise to live with him (no living accomodation cost) ? i heard traffic is horrible.
5) Should i get my driving licence from the distric i work in or live in? i heared dubai is much easier to get licence than Sharja.
Thank you alot in advance and hope i'll be paying the help forward when i move in.

yshimy

Re: Dubai Newbie expat needs help Oct 15, 2005
yshimy wrote:All, i need your help, i'll be soon in Dubai?

I'm a German Egyptian man, got a contract to work in Dubai, here are my questions.
1) Should i get my work visa on the German or Egyptian Passport? Which is easier, which got costs with it?
2) Does Germany required me to pay taxes on my salary from Dubai?
3) Work is in Jabal Ali, What is the good place to stay in nearby and with resonable prices for accomodation (i'm single) ?
4) Got a relative living in Sharjah, Will it be wise to live with him (no living accomodation cost) ? i heard traffic is horrible.
5) Should i get my driving licence from the distric i work in or live in? i heared dubai is much easier to get licence than Sharja.
Thank you alot in advance and hope i'll be paying the help forward when i move in.

1) German
2) Yes but I dunno how long for
3) There are many places.... Check out Emaar or Nakheel websites
4) Cost effective but definatly not time effective. It will take you an hour and a half to get to work and then the same amount to get back home
5) Get the Dubai one and save yourself the headache of Sharjah's liscence!
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 15, 2005
Just adding to Liban's post;

4) Stay with them for the first week. Understand Dubai a little, then move. You'll also have a chance to buy the Gulf Times, Connector, Time Out and maybe visit a couple of bars to decide which one'll be your 'local'.

3) So there's slightly less hurry - and there's more to life than Emaar & Nakheel. Although if you're working in JA 'The Greens Community' is probably not a bad place to start house-hunting. But if you're planning an active social life you may prefer to be more central (otherwise it'll cost you 100 Dirhams by taxi at the end of an evening)

HTH - Stuart
Stuart
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2005
Liban,
Thank you for your quick short-straight to the point answers, they are very helpful.

Stuart,
Thank you also for replying, and i guess i got your point.
I already been there twice each time a week, got your point about Dubai vs. Sharja, but i don't drink, nor..... (Mingle in my place)

so i guess i'll go with Liban's advice, and still will take your advice by house hunt in The Greens for house as my relative rent will finish after few months, so we might move to the greens and i pay the rent difference.

Thank you guys, but still more people can give us their prespective
yshimy

Oct 15, 2005
Similar situation getting an offer in JA. I am married tho, what kind of pay should I expect...... 10 yrs in sales in aviation.
The co is not a large brand name but growing and sound.

What is good location for a young couple to live?
cheers!
Left Wing
Dubai Forum Guest

Oct 15, 2005
Hi man,
From the research i did, the best place for you might be The Greens or The Springs, prices should be moderate without sacrificing the standard of living.

Good luck, may be we will be neighbours :D
yshimy

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum