Dubai As A Base For Working In Baku?

Topic locked
Dubai as a base for working in Baku? Dec 14, 2006
This may be a bit of a strange one, especially for this forum but here goes anyway!

I have been offered a position by my current employers in the Caspian Sea region, it was provisionally for me to live in Baku on a rota basis as I have family who are not keen to relocate to Azerbaijan.

Would it be feasible to use the UAE as a base for my job, this would have tax benefits and my family would be happier to come with me. I guess my question to the Dubai community is, has anyone out there done something similar? I would be grateful for any feedback.

Many thanks
Pete :?

Peter Satchwell
Dubai Forum Guest

Dec 14, 2006
Who would be providing you with a Residence Permit in Dubai, this will be required for you to enter into Rental contract, obtain Driving License etc. or would you be purchasing a property?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 14, 2006
My company would provide housing if they agreed to my base being in UAE.

What I am trying to find out is whether other expats have been able to work using UAE as a base country - to then work in countries as far afield as Azerbaijan?
Peter Satchwell
Dubai Forum Guest

Dec 15, 2006
Peter Satchwell wrote:My company would provide housing if they agreed to my base being in UAE.

What I am trying to find out is whether other expats have been able to work using UAE as a base country - to then work in countries as far afield as Azerbaijan?

Go back to my previous answer, who will provide residence permit?.

Following that I can tell you that their are some people here that do work as you are suggesting.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 15, 2006
I have a friend whos office in is in Sharjah but lives in Dubai. has been here 2 years and is still on visit visa because he is constantly travelling to work in other countries, Europe, China etc. As he only spends a week or so here at a time he just enters the country on visit visa.

Dont know how it will work with your family living here though.
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dec 15, 2006
Thanks for your replies,

Sage and Onion, my company would provide my residence visa as we have an office in Abu Dhabi that I could spend some time at. This is all conjecture at this point...just seeing if it is something I can suggest to employers?
Peter Satchwell
Dubai Forum Guest

Dec 15, 2006
Well,

My dad used to work and live in Baku from March 2002 until he re-located to Dubai in May this year and having visited Baku several times, I can say that it's a lot better than it was back in 2002.

In terms of families not willing to relocate there, have they visited before? As the saying goes "suck it and see".

But I have to say, Dubai is better for families.

Ross :D
rossbaku
Dubai Forums Talker

Re: Dubai as a base for working in Baku? Dec 16, 2006
Peter Satchwell wrote:Would it be feasible to use the UAE as a base for my job, this would have tax benefits and my family would be happier to come with me. I guess my question to the Dubai community is, has anyone out there done something similar? I would be grateful for any feedback.

I've been doing like this so far. My employer, home, and family are based in Dubai. Mostly I travel a lot from one client to another client within Middle East and South Asia. Sometimes I need to stay for months. It is really tough to leave the family (I miss my daughter a lot), but I hope this is for the best and I have no choice after all. I'd visit my family on weekend once every 4-6 weeks so my daughter won't forget her father is ;)
As for my wife, she's happy enough to be handed my ATM card and a Gold Visa supplement card :P

As for you, I'd suggest to negotiate somehow so that you can go back home every 1-2 month or so. Good if you can get it paid by the employer.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dec 16, 2006
Peter Satchwell wrote:Thanks for your replies,

Sage and Onion, my company would provide my residence visa as we have an office in Abu Dhabi that I could spend some time at. This is all conjecture at this point...just seeing if it is something I can suggest to employers?

Peter, in this case it can work very well, the regulation regarding Residence permit is that you must not leave the country for more than 6 months at a time, so your Company could employ you from their Abu Dhabi office and your family could reside in Abu Dhabi or Dubai without to many problems.
Good Luck
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum