Drving License Transfer

Topic locked
Drving License transfer Mar 08, 2009
Hi...ummm I moving to Abu Dhabi this month end and am an indian national who posseses valid bahraini driving license issued by kingdom of bahrain....can sum1 let me know if it can be transferred without driving test or i need to apply as in again as fresh taking driving classes and stuff..
Any advice wud b appreciated.. :)

mohd_abed
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Drving License transfer Mar 08, 2009
mohd_abed wrote:Hi...ummm I moving to Abu Dhabi this month end and am an indian national who posseses valid bahraini driving license issued by kingdom of bahrain....can sum1 let me know if it can be transferred without driving test or i need to apply as in again as fresh taking driving classes and stuff..
Any advice wud b appreciated.. :)

Hi. According to this website you can get take a UAE license without a test, just by producing your Bahraini license and filling in the forms, but best to check with the RTA (Dubai Roads and Transport Authority) on the phone also.

http://www.dubaifaqs.com/driving-licenc ... ge-uae.php
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 08, 2009
I say check with the RTA, because your nationality may be relevant and be a hindrance, sorry I can't be clearer than that.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 11, 2009
It's Bahraini nationals (with a Bahrain D/L) that can do the easy exchange. Even so, it might be worth trying although since the RTA took over D/L regulation they've become more strict so be prepared to be bounced.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Mar 11, 2009
Sorry, I didn't see the Abu Dhabi bit. The RTA is only for Dubai so you'd have to go to Abu Dhabi traffic police, unless you get a Dubai residence visa.
bonk

Mar 11, 2009
Darn, yes I missed the reference to Abu Dhabi too. Sorry Moh'd, we're talking rubbish at you! :(
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 13, 2009
Don't know about AD, but I exchanged my Bahraini license to Dubai license back in 2005 within half an hour without any class or driving test. And for sure I'm not citizen of "special countries" (US/EU) nor GCC. I heard you can't no longer exchange the license (from other GCC countries). You must take classes or at least test.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 17, 2009
RTA took over driving license issuing from Dubai Police in 2005, and they became more strict and/or introduced new regulations.
bonk

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum