Driving License Transfer....

Topic locked
Driving license transfer.... Mar 28, 2007
Hi,

I hold an Indian passport and have lived in the US for 4 yrs and now in HKG for 3 yrs. And I carry both USa nd HKG driving licences.

Will I be eligible for conversion to the UAE license or will I have to go through the longer process to get one? Incidentally, any information on the longer process will be welcome too.

hkexpat
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 28, 2007
As I read it what matters is the country that issued you the license not your country of citizenship but I imagine that since you hold an indian passport they'll give you a hard time :)

You should have no problem converting your UK license - which is strange since they drive on the wrong side of the road!

Here is a link http://www.dubaipolice.gov.ae/dp/englis ... nlayid=196
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 28, 2007
Concord wrote:As I read it what matters is the country that issued you the license not your country of citizenship but I imagine that since you hold an indian passport they'll give you a hard time :)

I don't think passport matters. I used Bahraini license (not my local Indonesian license) when I applied (convert) directly to UAE license. Usually based on my passport, if I didn't have any other licenses, I should have taken courses and tests. I thank a lot Bahraini Traffic Department that I didn't need also courses/tests when I converted my Indonesian license, otherwise I would spend thousands applying for UAE license.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Driving license transfer.... Mar 28, 2007
hkexpat wrote:Hi,

I hold an Indian passport and have lived in the US for 4 yrs and now in HKG for 3 yrs. And I carry both USa nd HKG driving licences.

Will I be eligible for conversion to the UAE license or will I have to go through the longer process to get one? Incidentally, any information on the longer process will be welcome too.

Generally speaking the Dubai Police only accepts a D/L from your country of origin and as that is India, you will most probably have to take the test again, after you have had a whole bunch of driving lessons.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum