Drivers License/housing Etc

Topic locked
drivers license/housing etc Aug 15, 2007
hi me my husband + daughter are emigrating at beginging of october.

we just come back from dubai as we done a pre assignment visit to look at schools etc which is now all sorted just need to find a villa

The villas go pretty quickly so my husband is coming out again in middle of september to get one ready for when we arrive.

My daughter is going to school on the sheikh zayed road at the back of the shangrila hotel .
The springs are 20 min drive away was just wondering how the traffic is in the morning travelling that way wether will hit much traffic? the taxi driver said we ll be fine as traffic is in opposite directions when ill be takeing her to school just wondered if any one else can confirm it?
Also just looking at arabian ranches villas on the internet and wondered how far out they are r they the same sort of distance as springs?

Wats better place to live Springs/ arabian ranches or mirdiff????
We would like a commumal pool etc to use

If anyne can give me their opinions id be very gratefull

Also i was told we now need to have a short driving test when we get out there does anyone know?

many thanks emma

emmas
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 15, 2007
arabian ranches nicer villas, better value. springs boxy villas for same price but i think a bit closer maybe, mirdiff flight path. finding a villa is a horrible job, so its a good idea that your husband comes first! good luck
Xander
Dubai Forums Member

Re: drivers license/housing etc Aug 15, 2007
emmas wrote:Also i was told we now need to have a short driving test when we get out there does anyone know?

many thanks emma

What license do you hold at the moment?
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Aug 15, 2007
hi
I have a uk drivers L .

I went on the aa website and it says UAE will need an international one?

thanks emma
emmas
Dubai Forums Member

Hi emmas Aug 16, 2007
Could you explain what you negotiated in your package please?? Like did they pay for schools and accomadation??

I have been offered a role in Dubai but it is only a salary would like to know what it is you were able to negotiate.

cosmic
cosmicbaby
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Aug 16, 2007
You can use your british licence until you have your residency visa sorted.

You then go to the Driving licence dept on sheikh zayed rd next to mall of emirates have a very basic eye test and fill in a form and 30 minutes later they give you a uae licence (after relieving you of some hard earned camel credits).

I am assuming you have a british licence and british passport? If your licence and passport are issued by different countries you may have problems.
john smith
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2007
yes i have a british passport and license so ill be ok then thanks for that.

My husband is transfering to dubai with his work his package is salary pay for kids schooling fees, health insurance, pay for us to bring our furniture etc, sort out all visas and a housing allowence to rent a villa which we have to put some towards and few other bits .

i ve just gotta save up to bring our dog lol

emma
emmas
Dubai Forums Member

Re: drivers license/housing etc Aug 17, 2007
emmas wrote:My daughter is going to school on the sheikh zayed road at the back of the shangrila hotel .

I guess that's Jumeirah City Primary School (or whatever it's called)? The intersection near there - Defense Roundabout will be under construction for the next year at least, probably two with traffic jams, and 20 mins travel time from AR is optimistic although the road toll may help you.

There are schools nearer the Springs, AR, Mirdiff ... here's a list of schools in Dubai.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Which is more easier? Driving License from AbuDhabi or Dubai Sep 03, 2007
Dear Friends,

I'm working as an Electrical Engineer, in Abu Dhabi.
I may get transfer to Dubai after 1 year.
The company is going to apply for my Employment Visa. Since they are having branches in Dubai & Abu Dhabi , they can get either Visa from both of these emirates. Also I can tell them, which visa to take.

I have heard that , Taking Driving License in Abu Dhabi is tougher compared to that of Dubai...Is it true ?

Which is more easier to take ? Driving License from Abu Dhabi or from Dubai ?

How many tests will be there in Abu Dhabi ? How long will it take to get a call to go for driving lessons , after opening the file ?

Please share your opinions with me..
muneerkm
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum