Dogs And Dubai?

Topic locked
Dogs and Dubai? Jun 28, 2007
Anyone here relocated from the uk with their dog?

I have a 3 year old labrador and i cant bear the idea of giving him up to live in Dubai.

How bad an idea would it be to take him with me? Are dogs frowned upon? Is it cruel to take him because if the heat?

Blowfish
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Dogs and Dubai? Jun 28, 2007
Blowfish wrote:Anyone here relocated from the uk with their dog?

I have a 3 year old labrador and i cant bear the idea of giving him up to live in Dubai.

How bad an idea would it be to take him with me? Are dogs frowned upon? Is it cruel to take him because if the heat?

It should not be a problem many people do. Chocoholic brought hers from the UK I'm sure she'll give you the details.

Frankly the problem isn't so much bringing the dog to Dubai, the problem is that many people bring dogs here and just dump them when it is time to leave and they end up at www.k9friends.com or killed (by cars, by heat, by starvation, by municipality, etc.)

With respect to living arrangements, it depends on what the dog is used to. If he/she is a flat dog then no problemb EXCEPT you must make sure that dogs are allowed in your flat/building BEFORE you move in. Otherwise you would need a villa for the dog to run EXCEPT there will be zero running and minimal walking the summer months.

There are all kinds of dogs here in Dubai. On my way to work today I saw someone walking a huge St. Bernard :!: (cruel I thought)!

I have a number of someone in dubai who's business it is to relocate dogs if you would like it pm me.

Now about living arrangements for the two of you, search this forum for prices as well as co-habitating laws.

Good luck.

p.s. salary is good.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 28, 2007
you also need to consider the issue of moving back with your dog if things don't work out (not being pesamistic, just realistic), look into the issue of innoculations and micro-chips etc) for moving animals out of dubai to the uk - quarentine etc...

i see from your other posting that you are considering an appartment at festival city .... i don't think a lab is the type of beast that would be at home in an appartment! and they definitly wouldn't allow pets in thier apaprtments. i gave someone the same advice recently, leave your pet with a friend or family member for a few months; come out, start the job, get a feel for the place and then when you are happy that things are running smoothly have your dog sent out.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jun 28, 2007
dbxsoul wrote:you also need to consider the issue of moving back with your dog if things don't work out (not being pesamistic, just realistic), look into the issue of innoculations and micro-chips etc) for moving animals out of dubai to the uk - quarentine etc...

i see from your other posting that you are considering an appartment at festival city .... i don't think a lab is the type of beast that would be at home in an appartment! and they definitly wouldn't allow pets in thier apaprtments. i gave someone the same advice recently, leave your pet with a friend or family member for a few months; come out, start the job, get a feel for the place and then when you are happy that things are running smoothly have your dog sent out.

I brought my dog and two cats from the UK in February and it was a really straight forward process.

I am living in Downtown Burj Dubai where there is a small dog community. We have great green areas for great dog walking. I have found that everybody here is welcoming to dogs. Emmar have no problems with dogs and cats in any of their developments!

PM me if you need more info, if you are thinking of moving, register for the pet passport in the UK and have a rabies jab done straight away, as you have to have the jab, wait two weks, then have a blood test (another two week wait from the government lab) and then Defra can issue the export certificate. Let me know if you need more info, I used a great shipping company, wouldnt recommend BA for the flight, they sent my dog to singapore (thecats and my dogs papers arrived in Dubai) - nightmare, but all Ok in the end. Use KLM or Emirates.
The Major
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 01, 2007
Sorry to be a bore, but could you possible do a 'search' on the subject. I've answered that topic so many times.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 02, 2007
I am also bringing out my 2 year old lab from the UK. Ive gone through DEFRA and my own vets for all innoculations, passports etc and I am now just waiting for a full month before booking him onto emirates (sometime mid august) - whom I contacted direct. I bought my travel cage from ebay. all other forms will be from the dubai dog and catery - who have also been brilliant. We are moving to a villa in mirdif so this should be ok for a big dog. HOpefully, all will go well , though the paperwork seemed very daunting at first, i think i am now on top!!
lcfcfem
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 02, 2007
I hope you checked all the dimensions of the travel box. There needs to be clearance for the dog to stan up properly, lie down and turn around. If it's not big enough, the guys at the airport will not travel the animal.

Book your flight well in advance, Emirates will only fly one set of animals at any one time.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 02, 2007
hi there, just a note. with emirates, and i suppose any other airline, a day before they ship the animal they send what is called an "Okay to send" mail/ fax to the consignee. The Emirates office on the recieveing end will phone the consignee and ask for a verbal or fax confirmatin to send the animal. If they do not recieve a reply they will not load the animal for transport. This becomes complicated if you are travelling on the same flight as the animal and for obvious reasons cannot confirm your presence at the destination (because you haven't got there yet) - if this is the case, nominate someone at the destination to acknowledge the emirates office that they can send the shipment.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jul 03, 2007
If you are travelling on the flight with the animal it's not a problem. But if no-one is travelling with the animal, you must confirm that someone will be there to meet the doggy off the plane.

Be prepared for lots of waiting around for the paperwork to get sortedm the vet to show up and the zoo this end.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 03, 2007
Thanks for all the info. I did check the travel box size against the requirements and the good thing about having it before hand is that it is now sitting in the dinning room, door open, and the dog goes in and out at his leisure - thus getting him used to the box for his journey. I did think about travelling on the same flight but then ran scared if anything didnt go right and I missed the flight because of restrictions, therefore, I have decided to send him out a week before I fly. My hubby is out there already so can collect that end.
Good info about emirates as when I rang they said "oh, just let us know a couple of days ahead, it will be fine" - so at least now I can be on my guard and maybe have a few days that I can book for dog travel if needed.

So, so far maybe so good, and all arrangements so far have been made easier thanks to the responses, help and advice from these forums.
lcfcfem
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum