Did Your Employer Take Your Passport?

Topic locked
Did your employer take your passport? Sep 10, 2007
I am looking for a job in dubai right now. after one interview i was shocked by the company's request - they asked me to submit my passport for the security reasons when i join them. Do the emloyers in dubai take all passports of their employees?or is it only for the low paid position? i applied for the receptionist position.
and, I am here on my husband's visa sponsorship. what do they afraid of? thank you

Y
Dubai Forum User

Re: Did your employer take your passport? Sep 10, 2007
Y wrote:I am looking for a job in dubai right now. after one interview i was shocked by the company's request - they asked me to submit my passport for the security reasons when i join them. Do the emloyers in dubai take all passports of their employees?or is it only for the low paid position? i applied for the receptionist position.
and, I am here on my husband's visa sponsorship. what do they afraid of? thank you

Refuse. It is illegal. They only do it becuase people; need the job or do not know the law and give them the passports.

But if you desperately need the job then...

There are a number of posts on the subject. By the way, the passport belong to your goverment.

Good luck.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

you think/ you are sure it is illegal? i am not desperate to find a job;) I am just looking for a job and i just happened to be in this situation.
Y
Dubai Forum User

Y wrote:you think/ you are sure it is illegal? i am not desperate to find a job;) I am just looking for a job and i just happened to be in this situation.

Obviously I think and it is! Do some research on this very forum. You don't even have to get up from where you are sitting.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Y wrote:you think/ you are sure it is illegal? i am not desperate to find a job;) I am just looking for a job and i just happened to be in this situation.

It is illegal on paper, but 90% of the companies do it.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Y wrote:I am looking for a job in dubai right now. after one interview i was shocked by the company's request - they asked me to submit my passport for the security reasons when i join them. Do the emloyers in dubai take all passports of their employees?or is it only for the low paid position? i applied for the receptionist position.

If you are on your husbands sponsorship, then your new Company has nothing to do with your passport, they only need to get you a labour card which is done after your husband gives a no objection, they have no right to hold your passport.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

gtmash wrote:

Where the hell do you get 90% from?
The Major
Dubai forums Addict

The Major wrote:
gtmash wrote:

Ok whiteboy, you guys have special rules. Companies here try really hard not to piss you guys off. Get it?

But as Sage said, none of this applies to our lady because she is on her husband's visa.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 11, 2007
Do not whatever you do let them keep your passport!
I went through hell with my old company when I quit all because they had my passport!

It is illegal and if they insist walk away!
Rosbif71
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Did your employer take your passport? Sep 11, 2007
gtmash wrote:
The Major wrote:
gtmash wrote:

Ok whiteboy, you guys have special rules. Companies here try really hard not to piss you guys off. Get it?

But as Sage said, none of this applies to our lady because she is on her husband's visa.

you really should try to remove that bigoted chip off your shoulder!
Rosbif71
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2007
Letting a company hold on to your passport is two shades away from slavery. It will undoubtedly be used to leverage you to continue working and not travel as you see fit.
hcaleman
Dubai Forums Member

sage & onion wrote:

If you are on your husbands sponsorship, then your new Company has nothing to do with your passport, they only need to get you a labour card which is done after your husband gives a no objection, they have no right to hold your passport.

I'm pretty sure you can't actually legally work on your husband's sponsership anyway, but that's an aside. (run a search on dxbsouls posts)

legally they don't have a right to take your passport but many including government offices have done this. It is a sad reality of Dubai, it should not be the case but does happen.

I do know Brits, Canadians, Aussies, that have had there passport 'stored for security' including whites

Everything else has already been said above, good luck.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

does the employer have a right to keep my passport? Sep 11, 2007
Thank you, guys. I read some articles on the internet and I even called Dubai Labour Office. They said that there is no law regarding the passport and it is between me and the employer how we will deal with this situation.
Y
Dubai Forum User

fayz wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

I'm pretty sure you can't actually legally work on your husband's sponsership anyway, but that's an aside. (run a search on dxbsouls posts)
legally they don't have a right to take your passport but many including government offices have done this. It is a sad reality of Dubai, it should not be the case but does happen.

I do know Brits, Canadians, Aussies, that have had there passport 'stored for security' including whites

Everything else has already been said above, good luck.

Hey Fayz, you most certainly can legally work for a Company whilst under your Husbands sponsorship, you need to submit a letter of no objection with all the necessary paperwork to the Labour Department and once all the criteria is met a Labour Card is issued. My wife has employed her secretary in this way for the past 4 years without any problem.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

fayz wrote:legally they don't have a right to take your passport but many including government offices have done this. It is a sad reality of Dubai, it should not be the case but does happen.

Exactly.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 12, 2007
Fayz, you can work on a husbands sponsorship. All the company requires is for the sponsor (husband) to fill out a no objection form, and the company applies for a temporary labour card. That's what my mother did, there's no problem at all.

Many companies withhol passports here, or some will take them for 'safe-keeping' and if you need your passport then you give in your labour card instead.

It's all crap though, the ministry will fine a company 10,000 Dhs for with-holding passports and they can have their trade licence revoked.

But same old story here, it shouldn't happen but it does.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum