Cost Of Living

Topic locked
cost of living Jan 20, 2006
can anyone tell me what kind of salary you need, to consider a position in Dubai? i mean, on average what is the cost of living?

Thanks

Jim

Photonico
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jan 20, 2006
Hi Jim

May I suggest that you find all of dbxsoul 's replies to posts, he has given quite a few replies to and been involved in conversations to do with costs and money and living etc, all the good stuff you need to know about, if you look up on the right hand side it says something about memberlist, when you find his name click on it and you will be able to look at all the posts he has made and go through from there, you will also be able to link to others as well. Hope this helps a little, sorry I am not there to give you any info either, we are still trying to get there. :D LochNess
lochness
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 20, 2006
dbxsoul in not in the memberlist :(

thanks for your help... i don't need the breakdown of all the expences, i mean are enough 10000 Dh + accommodation and travel ticket to live there or you need to have 20000?

cheers

Jim
Photonico
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jan 20, 2006
photonico,

You will first need to provide a bit more info than what you have done. I mean, nobody here knows you, knows what you like or what you do. We could all say that Dhs10,000 is enough, but if your profession is a Secretary, then you ain't realistically gonna earn that much money. You also may have expensive habits, like a nice aprtment, cars, clothes, enjoy nightclubbing every night etc, etc.

Seriously, asking such a broad brush question is not really gonna get you anywhere.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 21, 2006
Ok sorry, then put it this way… i was talking about a normal, standard, boring life style, with no particular habits apartments or cars… a normal person, maybe that goes to the gym, that likes computers and stuffs, that likes to stay with people and sometimes to enjoy the weekend but that generally doesn’t exceed…

to be honest I am an architect and I am generally based in London, with a salary of about 30K that I know is enough to support me here, but doesn’t really leave me a lot of space for saving. For the next 6 months I will be working in Dubai with the same UK contract, at the same conditions, with the only privilege of having the accommodation paid by the company.

Do you think I will have better chance for saving?

Cheers

Jim
Photonico
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jan 22, 2006
Try this
http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=4582

Basically the lifestyle is a huge spectrum here- you can live relatively cheaply if you like the outdoor life (nice parks, great beaches etc), cooking at home or eating out at cheaper places-for example sharwarma, smaller restaurants that don't serve alcohol are quite cheap and include Indian, Chinese and Arab foods. You can go more expensive and eat in 5 star hotels etc (where your alcohol could end up costing more than your meal). I have to agree with lochness that dbxsoul's replies are great and informative. Generally speaking we find the cost of living lower than home, but having said that the vast variety of goods available here (and the choice!!) has curbed our saving somewhat.......to almost nil! :lol: I think sometimes you can over indulge because Dubai is like a smorgasboard. :D
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum