Cost Of Living In Dubai

Topic locked
Cost of Living in Dubai Sep 15, 2007
Deal All,

I have just become a member of dubaiforums.com.

Offcourse I have been a regular reader of various sections here and I would like to know every ones opinion about my plan.

I am working in Saudi and getting around 29K p/m gross salary. Having worked almost a decade here, I am thinking about moving to Dubai for several reasons like friendly environment than saudi, much better weather as its terribly dry here-no humidity at all, better living for kids. I have been to dubai couple of times but for short vacations like a week or so and during the stay I find the life there quite interesting.

However moving to dubai will be a big change for me and the family. For example within the same job category I have beenoffered a much less salary package like between 20k p.m.

I would like to ask all of you about your personal experience while living in dubai? I mean not only from money point of view, having lived 10 years in saudi I have made some investments and am willing to sacrifice financially , however as they say all that glitters is not gold, so could any one point out why I should not move to dubai?

I have plans to setup some sort of business in dubai but thats at a later stage, for now I would like to work there for a year and see how things are.

Here in Saudi, I am paying 30k for a 3 bedroom apartment in a posh area. I am paying 6000 sar per year for my daughter schooling.

Cheers
Daniyaal

daniyaal
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 15, 2007
So you'll be making LESS in Dubai with MUCH higher expenses here.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 15, 2007
Hi gtmash,
Yes I know that , but I forgot to mention that hosuing is not included in the 20k offer. So if you take out housing, how much can do savings with 20k?
Cheers
daniyaal
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 15, 2007
What do you mean when you say housing is not included in the offer?.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 15, 2007
Well, you will still have higher expenses all round. You will save less. And coming from Saudi, a lot of things go on here, in terms of clothing and hotel bars, that you might find offensive, if you are of that mindset. But its easy to live with that by ignoring it. Traffic is a biznatch too.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 15, 2007
In short, moving to dubai will be a loss for me in all aspects.

What about starting your own business there, here you can not open your own business, people have setup business by making an agreement with local but officially all is owned by the local.

About the housing, I have my own flat there, so I was thinking perhaps the offer is ok, but you mentioned still there will be higher expenses.

Cheers
daniyaal
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Cost of Living in Dubai Sep 15, 2007
daniyaal wrote:Here in Saudi, I am paying 30k for a 3 bedroom apartment in a posh area. I am paying 6000 sar per year for my daughter schooling.

In Dubai, you'll have to spend 4-5 times than that for apartment and 3-10 times (per child) for school (depends on which school).
If you'd like to maintain the same living quality, it's not worth it to move. But if you're Ok to lower your living quality (e.g. 2BR mid-class apartment and not expensive school), then it may still be Ok (depends also on how many children you have). Many people (with family) earns the same or even lower than that.
So to better suggest, you need to explain more about your currents & expectations.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum