Closing Bank Account On Leaving The Country

Topic locked
Closing bank account on leaving the country Mar 22, 2008
Can anyone advise on the steps that you need to take with regard to your bank account when you leave the country? I'm leaving at the end of this month, but my final month's salary won't be paid into my account until a couple of days after I leave, so I can't close the account before I leave.

I assume that I can't leave it open and leave the cash in there indefinitely - presumably once my residence visa gets cancelled (which will probably be about a month after I leave) I can't keep the account open?

jayzed
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2008
Just wondering how you are going to get your residence visa cancelled without actually being in the counrty, as they have to physically take your passport for this process, then you leave afterwards.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 23, 2008
Oh, that's useful to know. What happens if I don't do that?
jayzed
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2008
jayzed wrote:Oh, that's useful to know. What happens if I don't do that?

Well... if your contract is up, and it doesn't get renewed... not much. There's a slim slim slim chance you could get nabbed for absconding but doubtful.

You might face paperwork issues next time you come to Dubai to work. If you don't plan on coming back... well... who cares right?
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 23, 2008
Well, I do plan on coming back (for visits at least) so I guess I'll just have to talk to my feckless employer. They're not going to report me for absconding as I'm leaving on good terms, but they're pretty incompetent so they may just never get around to informing the authorities that I've left...
jayzed
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2008
But your visa will have expired, and even though it's expired, you still have to actually get it cancelled. For everyday over this you will get fined.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 23, 2008
When does your company plan on giving you your passport?

It's in their interest to cancel your visa no matter what you do - they get problems with new visas if previous ones aren't cancelled.

You could leave your bank account open, as long as the company doesn't tell them you're leaving (usually they do).

Even if you don't plan on returning, you should avoid leaving loose ends. A large proportion of people leaving Dubai do return even though they never intended to.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Mar 23, 2008
jayzed wrote:Well, I do plan on coming back (for visits at least) so I guess I'll just have to talk to my feckless employer. They're not going to report me for absconding as I'm leaving on good terms, but they're pretty incompetent so they may just never get around to informing the authorities that I've left...

If you do not cancel your visa, the next time you come to the Country they will take your passport at the airport immigration and you will have to chase around for the cancellation. Best is to get it done before you leave.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum