Change Of Passports..wot Happens To The UAE Res. Visa?

Topic locked
Change of Passports..wot happens to the UAE res. visa? Feb 14, 2007
Hi, I have been holding a British Overseas passport a.k.a BN(O) passport to enter here with residence visa in it. I am thinking of changing for British Passport now. I have enquired to British Embassy here regarding the transfer of UAE residence visa on my new British passport but got no answers back regarding that.

Any ideas? I want to transfer the UAE visa to my new British Passport, is it possible?

Mumof2
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 14, 2007
I'm not sure if it is the same thing or not but I have a Canadian passport, ran out of pages so had to get another passport, my residency visa is in my old passport. When I got my new one they marked my old passport as void and cut a corner off the top of pages in it but gave it back, I just show both passports, you'll see a lot of people with 2 or more passports stuck together, i'm guessing others are doing the same thing.

Also get yourself an egate card, it is worthwhile no matter what but it also gives you access into Dubai without speaking to anyone or showing your passport.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Feb 14, 2007
They should be able to do as Fayz says, I think they have a stamp that says "contains valid visa" also the e-gate card is the best.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 14, 2007
i already have a egate card but always get my passport stamped at the control :S feels safer i guess
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 14, 2007
Jeevan wrote:i already have a egate card but always get my passport stamped at the control :S feels safer i guess

J, dont tell me you wait in line to get that done???
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 14, 2007
sage & onion wrote:
Jeevan wrote:i already have a egate card but always get my passport stamped at the control :S feels safer i guess

J, dont tell me you wait in line to get that done???

Luckily i havent encountered a line of more than 10 people :)
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 14, 2007
Thanks for your information guys! I'll personally have to make a trip to Immigration or the embassy next time.

Oh, wot is e-gate? & where & how do we get those?
Mumof2
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 15, 2007
Mumof2 wrote:Thanks for your information guys! I'll personally have to make a trip to Immigration or the embassy next time.

Oh, wot is e-gate? & where & how do we get those?

Check out this link;

http://www.dnrd.gov.ae/dnrd/E-Services/ ... efault.htm

If you do a good amount of travelling this is great, cuts out all the lines.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 15, 2007
hrmmz...i'm about to be in the same position as u guys.

i just renewed my passport last year before getting my residence visa. but over the past year, my entire passport is already full.

so now i've got 2 1/4 years left for my residence visa and gotta renew my passport in a couple of months.

is there a way to transfer the residence visa? the reason why i need to move my visa to the new passport is i travel around the region and usually life is a lot easier when u have a UAE Residence Visa on your passport.

i've got E-gate....do i need to update E-gate details when I get a new passport?
dodgeek
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 15, 2007
dodgeek wrote:hrmmz...i'm about to be in the same position as u guys.

i just renewed my passport last year before getting my residence visa. but over the past year, my entire passport is already full.

so now i've got 2 1/4 years left for my residence visa and gotta renew my passport in a couple of months.

is there a way to transfer the residence visa? the reason why i need to move my visa to the new passport is i travel around the region and usually life is a lot easier when u have a UAE Residence Visa on your passport.

i've got E-gate....do i need to update E-gate details when I get a new passport?

In your case it's simple, you can just staple your old passport containing your residence visa to the back of the new one, e-gate should remain the same.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 15, 2007
My dad's passport ran out of pages and so he picked up a new one from the British Embassy. All that they have done is stuck the two together with the relevant security seals and removed the corners to render it void. His residence visa is in the old one and he has no problems.

Ross :D
rossbaku
Dubai Forums Talker

Feb 15, 2007
My dad's passport ran out of pages and so he picked up a new one from the British Embassy. All that they have done is stuck the two together with the relevant security seals and removed the corners to render it void. His residence visa is in the old one and he has no problems.

Now if only I can convince him to take on E-Gate....

rossbaku
Dubai Forums Talker

Feb 15, 2007
rossbaku wrote:My dad's passport ran out of pages and so he picked up a new one from the British Embassy. All that they have done is stuck the two together with the relevant security seals and removed the corners to render it void. His residence visa is in the old one and he has no problems.

Now if only I can convince him to take on E-Gate....

Actually you don't even need the security seals
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 15, 2007
the thing is for a Malaysian passport, we can't stick them 2 together. There is a built-in security chip for each passport and when i go back to Malaysia, it works like the E-gate where i put the passport into a machine and it gets scanned.
dodgeek
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 22, 2007
dodgeek wrote:the thing is for a Malaysian passport, we can't stick them 2 together. There is a built-in security chip for each passport and when i go back to Malaysia, it works like the E-gate where i put the passport into a machine and it gets scanned.

Don't stick it together then...just have the old one with you at all time.
beaujarle
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 23, 2007
you sure about that? but thought that if the corner was cut thent its gone? i've got saudi visa and other stuff there as well... hrrmmmmzzzzz
dodgeek
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 24, 2007
dodgeek wrote:you sure about that? but thought that if the corner was cut thent its gone? i've got saudi visa and other stuff there as well... hrrmmmmzzzzz

Swipe/slot-in the new passport & when inquired about visa, show the old one. Unless, visa is chip embedded in passport which I doubt it. Again..I may be wrong.
beaujarle
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum