Canadian Looking For Info Before Making A Move To Dubai.

Topic locked
Canadian looking for info before making a move to Dubai. Jan 24, 2006
Hi everyone,
Is there anyway I can find a job, in Dubai, as a golf assistant pro or golf lessons teacher and make a living out of that in Dubai? I'am from Montreal and planning to go to Dubai in Feb. to try to find work and live there for a few months or more. I have a pretty good background in golf.

I'am also a register water treatment tech. here in Canada. But my real passion is golf. So, if it doesn't work with golf, I will try with water (waste or fresh water) treatment. What do you think people, is there any chances in those 2 fields of work, in Dubai?

Thank's for future responses. I need some good tips before a make the move. Good day to all and talk to you later.

Marc

Duam
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 24, 2006
Salut Marc, moi aussi je viens de Montreal :)

As per your question, if you want to stay in either line of business here, I must suggest you remain in Montreal.

It simply will not pay to come here for these types of jobs.

Desole mon ami.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 24, 2006
Hi Liban, thank's for your reply eventhough it's not the answer I was expected, but I liked your frankness :? . Looking at the Gulfnews Classifieds in the last few days, I have seen a lot of job opportunities that I would be able to do (like construction jobs, hotel clerk or concierge, etc.). The question is still the same, can I live on that kind of salary in Dubai?

I guess, it means I have to be a professionnel in any field to have a chance to make it in Dubai. Or there's some other ways to make it? Is there any chance to find a good job at the airport perhaps? Or in an hospital, as a building maintenance worker?

I need a major change in my life right now. I'am 36, just got divorced and I'am not working much (I actually work in a paper mill and it's not going well at all). I was thinking of Dubai as a good opportunity for me because I'am very "polyvalent" in a lot of fields and that would be a good challenge for me to go there and try a new start. I guess I will re-consider my plans. :cry:

Nice talking to you Liban, hope to learn more from you. I think your luky to be there working and living in Dubai, I wish it could be me someday.
Next time, french would be easier for me, but english is OK too.

C-ya later.

Marc :D
Duam
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 24, 2006
Duam wrote:Hi Liban, thank's for your reply eventhough it's not the answer I was expected, but I liked your frankness :? . Looking at the Gulfnews Classifieds in the last few days, I have seen a lot of job opportunities that I would be able to do (like construction jobs, hotel clerk or concierge, etc.). The question is still the same, can I live on that kind of salary in Dubai?

I guess, it means I have to be a professionnel in any field to have a chance to make it in Dubai. Or there's some other ways to make it? Is there any chance to find a good job at the airport perhaps? Or in an hospital, as a building maintenance worker?

I need a major change in my life right now. I'am 36, just got divorced and I'am not working much (I actually work in a paper mill and it's not going well at all). I was thinking of Dubai as a good opportunity for me because I'am very "polyvalent" in a lot of fields and that would be a good challenge for me to go there and try a new start. I guess I will re-consider my plans. :cry:

Nice talking to you Liban, hope to learn more from you. I think your luky to be there working and living in Dubai, I wish it could be me someday.
Next time, french would be easier for me, but english is OK too.

C-ya later.

Marc :D

There are always chances to make money my friend. However in the fields you mentionned it is tough.

That being said? What he good money for you? If its 10,000AED then possible as a bar manager or restaurant manager in a high class hotel. If its 15,000 or more, then you will probably not get that in these fields so no you will not be happy (unless you have the all powerful wasta - know someone powerful who can help).

How much do you wanna make? Tell me and I can help more... maybe :oops:

Desole mon ami, but I cannot talk in french publically because it is against forum rules. PMs are fine for that...

Bonne chance!!
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 25, 2006
I'll just go on and make more research on the web about opportunities in Dubai. To answer your question about how much I'd need? I'd say enough to have a place to stay and have 2-3 meals a day. I think that would be a good start for the first few weeks and then try to go on from there...

As I said, I'am very polyvalent (I've worked in the auto industry at the Hyundai plan in Bromont, I've been a construction worker and I've worked for 3 cities as a water treatment technician before moving on to a paper mill for the last few years) and that way I can be a great addition to a company, I think. I can also teach or help in all kinds of sports; golf, ski (I've seen the ski center of Dubai, on the net), ice skating or hockey if there is out there, rollerblades, tennis to name a few. I've been in sports all my life and I'am good at most of them. I was just born athletic I guess.

How long have you been in Dubai Liban? Was it hard at first? Do you come back to Montreal sometimes? Is there an association or "un regroupement" of canadians expat in Dubai? If so, do you guys do stuff together (like a Canada Day party or watch a hockey game together sometime)? How does it work down there? Life is good for most Canadians expat you know?

C-ya later, salut Liban! :D

Marc
Duam
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 25, 2006
Duam wrote:I'll just go on and make more research on the web about opportunities in Dubai. To answer your question about how much I'd need? I'd say enough to have a place to stay and have 2-3 meals a day. I think that would be a good start for the first few weeks and then try to go on from there...

As I said, I'am very polyvalent (I've worked in the auto industry at the Hyundai plan in Bromont, I've been a construction worker and I've worked for 3 cities as a water treatment technician before moving on to a paper mill for the last few years) and that way I can be a great addition to a company, I think. I can also teach or help in all kinds of sports; golf, ski (I've seen the ski center of Dubai, on the net), ice skating or hockey if there is out there, rollerblades, tennis to name a few. I've been in sports all my life and I'am good at most of them. I was just born athletic I guess.

How long have you been in Dubai Liban? Was it hard at first? Do you come back to Montreal sometimes? Is there an association or "un regroupement" of canadians expat in Dubai? If so, do you guys do stuff together (like a Canada Day party or watch a hockey game together sometime)? How does it work down there? Life is good for most Canadians expat you know?

C-ya later, salut Liban! :D

Marc

Salut mon ami....

From what you seem to want, you can potentially survive decently on 10K AED. Try Ski Dubai, try Dubailand, try the main hotels, try try try... But key advice, if you want something, you gotta be here. Its next to impossible from Canada.

I have only been in Dubai non stop for 3 months. Lived in UAE as a kid and in Kuwait.

If there is a Canadian expat club in Dubai, I don't know of it. Sorry :(

For most expats life is good here. For many, they would not come down here if life was not good... :)

I came here for cultural reasons more so than for the money... Though that too was good when I first came down and now suddenly got much better...

Liban
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 25, 2006
Thank's to you mon ami. Your the one helping and I really appreciate.
It's very kind of you.

I've been a trying guy all my life, my experiences will probably help a lot in this situation. By the way, any arenas or sports center for ice hockey in Dubai? Since I saw the ski center on the net, I figure anything's possible there?

I would see myself as the headcoach of the national hockey team in Dubai and share all my experience with national players... :wink: I think I would do great at this job or to try to teach the kids maybe. Let me close my eyes a moment and dream about all that............ hum, I loved it. It look so real for a moment or two. If I go on like that with all those ideas of mine I will have to bring a lot of stuff to Dubai; golf bag and shoes, hockey equipment and sticks, rollerblades, tennis equipment and on and on.....

later pal. :lol:
Duam
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 25, 2006
Duam wrote:Thank's to you mon ami. Your the one helping and I really appreciate.
It's very kind of you.

I've been a trying guy all my life, my experiences will probably help a lot in this situation. By the way, any arenas or sports center for ice hockey in Dubai? Since I saw the ski center on the net, I figure anything's possible there?

I would see myself as the headcoach of the national hockey team in Dubai and share all my experience with national players... :wink: I think I would do great at this job or to try to teach the kids maybe. Let me close my eyes a moment and dream about all that............ hum, I loved it. It look so real for a moment or two. If I go on like that with all those ideas of mine I will have to bring a lot of stuff to Dubai; golf bag and shoes, hockey equipment and sticks, rollerblades, tennis equipment and on and on.....

later pal. :lol:

Desole, I dunno for sure about the arenas but there has got to be. I heard the is an ice skating rink in the Deira Hyatt. It was there back when I was in Dubai as a kid a long time ago, I doubt they took it off since the Hyatt is still standing.... I am not that old :)

Bro, anything is possible in Dubai. More so than in Canada I think. Dubai for me is the land of dreams come true and can also be, mind you, your greatest nightmare. The first year or so will determine everything I think.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 25, 2006
Duam wrote:I would see myself as the headcoach of the national hockey team in Dubai and share all my experience with national players... :wink:

I don't think there is a national team here but check this out for a well organized shinny league. Last year they even had a exhib. game with the '72 summit series players from Canada and Russia, it was great to watch.

http://www.dubaimightycamels.com/

If you do make the trek here there are at least 2 ice rinks in Dubai although ice hockey I think is a lot more popular in Abu Dhabi then Dubai and it is the capital so if a national team does exist it'd be there.

Good luck,
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum