Can I Survive With Family On This Salary

Topic locked
Can I survive with family on this Salary Dec 16, 2005
Hi,

I am offered a package of 10K AED per month. Medical insurance is taken care by company.

Family ---- Me, My wife and 2 kids.( 1 Kid in Kindergarden school level )

My work place will be in Internet city and Media city.

How far should I look for accomodation and how much does it cost.

Planning to save close to 2.5K

Require advice in knowing whether things will work out considering that we live a simple life over there.

Thanks

dubsat
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

package Dec 16, 2005
i'd say what they are offering is very borderline - if not below what you require.

1. you will have to pay the sponsorship fees for your wife and kids out of your own pocket.
2.most companies provide the employer with a ticket home once a year (annual leave), again many companies do not extend this to immediate family members and you may have to pay for these out of your own pocket.
3. no mention of transport, do they provide or not - do they give some kind of allowance?
4. private schooling is expensive. government schools are first language arabic, i don't know of any expat kids in a government school
5. accomodation is expensive, cheap accomodation is virtually impossible to find - unless you are prepared to stay in ajman and drive 45 - 60 min each day to and from work
6. accomodation for you and your family - budget between 3,500 - 6,000 per month - depending on where you want to stay
7. obviously if your wife is also going to work this will alleviate things
8. "medical insurance" - make sure this means PRIVATE medical insurance, the norm is a government medical card (for government hospitals) - government medical insurance is mandatory and not a perk!

i'm sure some of the other regulars to the forum will add a few other pointers that i may have overlooked
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Dec 16, 2005
Depends on your definition of "simple life" but personally I think 10k is piddly squat, especially when you have family and still plan on saving.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 16, 2005
what does that equal to in US $?
L_pevensie
Dubai Forums Member

Dec 16, 2005
~US 2700, the Dirham is mapped to the dollar at about 3.65 to 1
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Dec 16, 2005
I reckon you'll have to lead one helluva "simple life" to make ends meet. You don't say what you do for a living but personally I would try to squeeze some more out of the tight gets. I don't think you'll be leaving this place with a nice little nest egg at that rate.
And some of these employers need to get real.
GoodBai
Dubai Forums Talker

Dec 17, 2005
True, with ridiculous rents and everything else on top, 10K is OK for an individual or maybe even a couple, but a family of four I think would struggle to get by on that.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 17, 2005
the reality is many people survive on alot less in this city inclusive of family, I've yet to figure out how though as there is no way i could.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Dec 18, 2005
thats true. It really depends on your standard of living and the quality of life you look to. some will want a nice place on SZR, drive a nice flashy car and eat out at Wafi , and will also be in debit. while you have others who live in Ajman, drive a sunny, eat out at Kumar Kafteria and also save money !
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Can I survive with family on this Salary Dec 18, 2005
dubsat wrote:Hi,

I am offered a package of 10K AED per month. Medical insurance is taken care by company.

Family ---- Me, My wife and 2 kids.( 1 Kid in Kindergarden school level )

My work place will be in Internet city and Media city.

How far should I look for accomodation and how much does it cost.

Planning to save close to 2.5K

Require advice in knowing whether things will work out considering that we live a simple life over there.

Thanks

Your title says "Can I survive", and the amount in question here is 10K...Well, for a family of four, you can surely survive..but thats about it, specially if you plan on saving 2.5 K monthly. I personally know a few families of 3 and 4 members who live comfortably on lesser than 10k a month..

It is possible, no doubt. But it will depend on how flexible you are. Cutting costs is possible in many ways, but it may require that you share an apartment with another family or rent out a bedroom for a bachelor, or travel using the public transport system and limit your entertainment to watching movies on TV or DVD or going out to the nearby park. Of course, if your spouse also can work and contribute, even if its partime work or from home, nothing like it to boost the family income!

Where there is a will, there ALWAYS was a way. Specially with 10K! :p

LLTT
LookingLondonTalkingTokyo
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum