Buying A Car

Topic locked
Buying a car Feb 05, 2006
How aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaare y'all,

Have a question that maybe some of you Dubai gurus can help me out with. Will shortly be starting a job, YIPPEEE..... finally, and would like to buy a car. However, I read that you cannot buy a car without having the residents visa... which is being prepared but obviously takes some time.

IF another person, who has his residents visa, buys a car for me (or buys it in his name) can I be insured to drive this car until I get my residents visa sorted out and then get the car put in my name? Is it clear :roll:

Any advice gratefully appreciated! :lol:
Thanks all

Louloute
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 05, 2006
That's a really messy way to do it and really not worth the effort. Better off to rent a car until your visa is sorted.

I'll assume you'll be taking a car loan to buy your car, in which case you require salary certificates from your company to secure the loan and in many cases you must show them 3 months worth of salary going into your UAE bank account.

If someone else gets the car then transfers it to your name, you have to re-register the car all over again. Really not worth the hassle.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 05, 2006
note that you can't have bank account without residancy, nor car loan.

Best way is to go for Lease/own scheme, where you pay more extra than the rent and after you get residancy, you deduct what you payed from the total value of the car and here you go.

Cheers
yshimy

Feb 05, 2006
Really? That bad? But can I be insured if I dont have residency? I could have the cash at hand so I wouldnt need a loan...... The remaining prob would be insurance..

Is it really that much hassle registering a vehicle over here?
Louloute
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 05, 2006
Hi

Residency is basically the key. without it you cannot have car insurance because you cannot have a UAE Driving Licence. So basically even if you get your friend to buy the car, you cannot drive it.

This is why expats Lease or hire cars to start with.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 06, 2006
But I read something about a temporary licence.... anyone know anything about that????
Louloute
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 06, 2006
Yes you can get a temporary licence, but it will not get you the insurance. You have to have a 10year UAE DL to get car insurance.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 06, 2006
Arnie,
They are not that stupid here.

You can have insurance even with less than 1 year but it is a hassel, best offer so far was 6.5 % for me. or only thrid party insurance.

If you have a 1 year driving license it can go down to 4% if you are above 25
yshimy

Hey Feb 09, 2006
I wish to bring my car to dxd , pls tell me how expensive the insurance can be for honda accord 99model???? Does anyone know ???? how much i would be payin for per month ???
undyinglove
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum