Bounced Cheque!!

Topic locked
Bounced cheque!! Oct 29, 2006
Hi all, long time reader, first time poster and all that!!

Can someone tell me the story with bouncing a cheque? Turns out my landlord has attempted to cash a cheque I gave him (without me having appropriate funds in my account!) I paid him cash a week or so before the cheque was due to be cashed and was suppossed to receive the cheque back and never did!!

Ive since been out of the country for over a month (on leave) and got an e-mail from my bank saying a travel ban will be put on me!! What on earth does that mean? Will I be stopped on my re-entry or does anyone know the score?

Thanks a mill,

Tis

tismeself
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Bounced cheque!! Oct 29, 2006
tismeself wrote:Hi all, long time reader, first time poster and all that!!

Can someone tell me the story with bouncing a cheque? Turns out my landlord has attempted to cash a cheque I gave him (without me having appropriate funds in my account!) I paid him cash a week or so before the cheque was due to be cashed and was suppossed to receive the cheque back and never did!!

Ive since been out of the country for over a month (on leave) and got an e-mail from my bank saying a travel ban will be put on me!! What on earth does that mean? Will I be stopped on my re-entry or does anyone know the score?

Thanks a mill,

Tis

Here in the UAE it is a criminal offence to bounce a cheque.

Do you have a receipt for the cash that you paid the Landlord, if so does it have a detailed description of what the money is for. I would suggest you send a copy of said receipt to the Bank.

If you are presently outside of the UAE it is likely that you can be arrested at the Airport when you come back.

If you have any friend here that can take this matter up for you with the Bank & the Police, that would be better, before you return.

Good Luck
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 29, 2006
Bouncing a cheque use to be a criminal offence, i.e. if one got bounced you use to be sent to jail, apparently this rule has changed. I would talk to your bank and landlord, hopefully neither are dicks and you can get things sorted.

this post isn't much help I know but really talking to the bank and explaining the situation and getting a letter from the landlord that he did recieve the cash from you and withdrew the cheque in err will help your case.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Oct 29, 2006
Thanks Fayz!

I thought as much, time to start calling in a couple of favours!
tismeself
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 29, 2006
fayz wrote:Bouncing a cheque use to be a criminal offence, i.e. if one got bounced you use to be sent to jail, apparently this rule has changed. I would talk to your bank and landlord, hopefully neither are dicks and you can get things sorted.

this post isn't much help I know but really talking to the bank and explaining the situation and getting a letter from the landlord that he did recieve the cash from you and withdrew the cheque in err will help your case.

I had a friend of mine arrested at the Airport 2 months ago for a bounced cheque, so you have to be sure before you return.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 29, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
fayz wrote:Bouncing a cheque use to be a criminal offence, i.e. if one got bounced you use to be sent to jail, apparently this rule has changed. I would talk to your bank and landlord, hopefully neither are dicks and you can get things sorted.

I had a friend of mine arrested at the Airport 2 months ago for a bounced cheque, so you have to be sure before you return.

Do you mean YOU had him arrested? Some friend you are! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nick81
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Oct 29, 2006
What a lot of the Landlords do is "Discount" the Post Dated Cheques, then they can draw cash against the cheques, the Banks allow this for a fee, this may be what has happened here, if so the Bank should be aware of it, the receipt would be a vital element though.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 29, 2006
Yep I was going to say, make sure you have a receipt for the cash you gave the landlord. The stupid thing is it's not even legal to give a post-dated cheque.

That's another thing you can bring up with your bank, if they accepted the cheque and cashed it BEFORE it's dated date, then they are also at fault as they aren't allowed to do that.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 29, 2006
excellent point Chocs
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 29, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Yep I was going to say, make sure you have a receipt for the cash you gave the landlord. The stupid thing is it's not even legal to give a post-dated cheque.

That's another thing you can bring up with your bank, if they accepted the cheque and cashed it BEFORE it's dated date, then they are also at fault as they aren't allowed to do that.

What has happened here is that the cheque was discounted by the Bank, they do it all the time, and they would have deposited it on the due date.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum