Biggest "Pains" When Living In Dubai

Topic locked
Biggest "Pains" When Living In Dubai Apr 05, 2012
Hi everyone, I'm considering relocating to Dubai in the near future, and I'm wondering what to expect in terms of culture shock, adjustment difficulties, etc. BTW I didn't mean to sound negative in the title above- this will be my first time living in a Muslim country, and I'm actually quite excited about the new experience! I just want to know what I'm getting into so I can prepare. I'm originally from the States and I've been living in China for 5 years, so I'm no longer easily shocked by cultural differences. I'm looking for help from an experienced Dubai expat who can confirm what I've found out through my research, specifically:

-there's still a lot of construction taking place, so make sure your apartment isn't near a construction site.
-the road system is changing all the time, and if you miss your turn you may not be able to double back for a long time.
-there is no standard address system in Dubai, so giving directions and receiving mail is difficult.
-buying liquor requires a permit, and getting a permit is a complicated process.

If I missed something or if the above no longer apply, please let me know. Thanks for any help you can offer!

BestMoversInDubai
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Biggest "Pains" When Living In Dubai Apr 05, 2012
BestMoversInDubai ,
BestMoversInDubai wrote:Hi everyone, I'm considering relocating to Dubai in the near future, and I'm wondering what to expect in terms of culture shock, adjustment difficulties, etc. BTW I didn't mean to sound negative in the title above- this will be my first time living in a Muslim country, and I'm actually quite excited about the new experience! I just want to know what I'm getting into so I can prepare. I'm originally from the States and I've been living in China for 5 years, so I'm no longer easily shocked by cultural differences. I'm looking for help from an experienced Dubai expat who can confirm what I've found out through my research, specifically:

-there's still a lot of construction taking place, so make sure your apartment isn't near a construction site. there will be construction nearly wherever you go, but noise has died down
-the road system is changing all the time, and if you miss your turn you may not be able to double back for a long time. not like the states where you can just take the next exit, but there's plenty of places to make a u-turn or turn around.
-there is no standard address system in Dubai, so giving directions and receiving mail is difficult. you'll get used to it, most people point out landmarks
-buying liquor requires a permit, and getting a permit is a complicated process. go to the mmi store, fill in application and wait to get called, not sure if you consider that difficult.

If I missed something or if the above no longer apply, please let me know. Thanks for any help you can offer!
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Great, thanks for the reassurance! Is there anything you'd add to the list?
BestMoversInDubai
Dubai Forum Visitor

if you're from the states, forget about customer service or service times. but you said you're coming from china and from my travels there, it'll be similar in dubai. when i 1st moved there from the states i had to learn patience.
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Biggest "Pains" When Living In Dubai Apr 06, 2012
BMID. I never lived in Dubai. But have been there a few times. The only pain I remember is the heat combined with the humidity. Ouch!
Lying Dutchwoman
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Biggest "Pains" When Living In Dubai Apr 06, 2012
The heat doesn't surprise me, but the humidity part does. I always thought the desert air was supposed to be dry. Glad someone told me.
BestMoversInDubai
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Biggest "Pains" When Living In Dubai Apr 08, 2012
Nope, the humidity is the real killer in the summer months, it's like walking outside into a sauna. Get used to the term 'Inshallah' and don't expect things to always happen easily as they just don't. Actually the liquor license isn't as easy as that, as you need your visa and your company has to sign that they allow you to have one - if you have a local sponsor them some don't allow employees to obtain one - mine doesn't. However, there are 'hole in the wall' shops in other emirates which don't require a license, but there are gauntlets to run with that as well.

Basically until you have your visa, you can't do much.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Biggest "Pains" When Living In Dubai Apr 09, 2012
Swap out "Inshallah" with 没办法 ("Mei banfa", or "Nothing you can do."), and China is quite similar in that respect.

I was kinda looking forward to leaving that behind. Bummer. :-)
BestMoversInDubai
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum