Banned Prescription Medicine

Topic locked
Banned Prescription Medicine Feb 01, 2012
DF,

I am taking a prescription medicine which is listed as a banned substance on the U.A.E Ministry of Health's website. I have confirmed that the medicine is sold in the U.A.E but requires a local doctor's approval or prescription.

Question 1) Can I bring this medicine with me to the country ?

Question 2) When getting blood tested for my residency visa do they check for substances that are illegal in the country or only HIV / Hepatitis ?

Please let me know. Thanks.

-usaexpat

usaexpatdxb2012
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Banned Prescription Medicine Feb 01, 2012
Q1, No, it can only cause complications at the airport, better not to.

Q2, It's anybody's guess, they claim to test for AIDS, Hepatitis and Tuberculosis, but their policies are constantly evolving and they don't always tell you in advance!

Regards
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Banned Prescription Medicine Feb 02, 2012
1. You can bring the medication in if you have a doctor's note and I think there is also another document required, which has to have a stamp. Call the UAE embassy in Washington to find out what document(s) you need or search the web as I'm sure you will find out what you need to know.

2. If the medication you are taking shows up in the blood you will have the documentation to show that you were permitted to bring it in (for you own personal use?) Anything else may be hit and miss. Would your medication be an indication that you are infected???

--- Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:28 pm ---

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Banned Prescription Medicine Feb 03, 2012
Bora Bora ,

I called the embassy and they assured me that it would be ok if I bring a doctors note, attested copy, and a letter from the doc stating why I need the medicine.[/b]

I will consult with my doctor and find out what substance is in my blood as a result.

Question: Does Dubai have airport scanners which can detect substances in your bloodstream ?
usaexpatdxb2012
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Banned Prescription Medicine Feb 04, 2012
LOL I don't think anywhere in the world has anything that can detect what's in your blood stream. That's impossible.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Banned Prescription Medicine Feb 05, 2012
usaexpatdxb2012 ,

If there is a blood test, the substance in your blood would be the medication????

As Chocs said, I'm almost certain that nothing has been invented that could detect what is in your blood stream without actually having a blood test done. :drunken:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum