Antenatal Care, Giving Birth In Dubai And Location Advice

Topic locked
Jan 27, 2006
Hi Moomin,

So you are in Umm Sequiem. Is it nicer than Jumeirah or about the same? My husband will be working in Umm S, so I guess that will be our first option, due to the traffic (it's bad enough that he'll have to work 5.5 days a week, so don't fancy him spending hours in traffic!)

How did you find your place? Through an agency or did your husband's work find it for you? We'll be staying in a company's flat the first month, so I have a month to sort out finding a flat, and a hospital, and some new furniture! So no worries whatsoever, very relaxed about it!

Haven't got a Phil& Ted just yet, that's in my (neverending) to do list!

Is there an M&S? I think I saw somewhere that they sponsor an mum's club or something, but don't remeber seeing one when I went to Dubai a few years ago (was not realy looking for one, to be honest!) Just wondering.

I think I'll be arriving on the 19th Feb. I'll keep you posted.

J!

Julieta
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2006
Another question, how baby friendly is Dubai?

I am talking about baby changing facilities, highchairs in restaurants and in general people's attitude to screaming tots!

Ta

J!
Julieta
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2006
Julieta
I don't live in Umm Suqeim, I live one junction on, so I can't comment about living there or Jumeirah. My husband found our apartment when he came out for work on a few trips before we moved out. I understand it is a painful experience finding somewhere to live and I'm so pleased he sorted it before we moved out, I know he found it very stressful. So I would have your husband's work help you.

As regards is Dubai baby/child friendly, I cannot talk from personal experience because we don't yet have children, but I see a lot of children and families and all seems fine!

Yes, there is an M&S in Wafi City Mall, sells clothes and has a very small food section selling some cereals, preserves, biscuits etc from their range. There's also a Debenhams and a small BHS.

Good luck with the move!
Moomin
Moomin
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 28, 2006
There is another M&S (full 2 storey showroom) in Deira next to ToysRus and Reef Mall. Dubai is starting to get baby friendly. I was pleasantly surprised to note a sign that New Bur Juman (a huge shopping mall) has baby changing facilities in the Men's toilet also....they need to have more of that. Having said that the older malls mostly don't have feeding rooms, however the best thing to do is go back to the car and feed the baby. Public feeding is not very common.

Has for screaming toddlers, I would think the tolerance is probably more...given that the locals usually have more kids and are more boisterous! Of course I don't take the little ones every where, esp where people are paying quite a bit to have a nice time. Generally Dubai is a loud city and our little babies probably make lesser sound than some of the adults!!

Going back to the Al Wasl thingy ...yes you are right its horrible to share a toilet, esp just after delivery! I did not get a pvt room the second time round and the toilet sharing was .... :roll:
audreygaur
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2006
Audrey,

Good to know about baby changing facilities for dads, as my husband is usually on nappy duty when we go out, ha,ha! (and weekends, and evenings, and...as much as he can!)

Sorry to hear about your experience in your shared toilet at the hospital! Well, if it makes you feel better, it even happens here in the UK. I heard a very disgusting story of a friend of mine who gave birth in London and the toilet (although ensuite) was all full of blood, as well as the sheets! Luckily I had a better experience, so I guess it's like everything in life, a matter of luck!
Julieta
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum