...another New Arrival's Questions...

Topic locked
...another new arrival's questions... May 19, 2005
Hi there - I shall be arriving in Dubai mid June from cold London. If anyone can provide the slightest bit of info to the below it would be appreciated:

- I shall be working on the new airport and dont initially have transport - whats the most practical part of town to live in to avoid 2 hours commute each way?

- I will have to look for a rental apartment pretty fast and am willing to spend up to 7000 AED per month, obviously I'm not trying to spend that much, but what can I reasonably expect for that? I'm single, early 30s, but i'd love a sea view and balcony, or am I just dreaming?

- Is the wise move to buy as opposed to renting?? It seems that renting can be more expensive than London!

Ta - any help appreciated!

shakin'inmeboots
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

fair questions.... May 20, 2005
first off - read through some of the other "where to stay" postings.

if you are working at the airport, single and want to see the sights a bit - look initially at the Al Rafa/ Bur Dubai area. If you can get a short lease for about 6 months, until you know where everything is and know your way around town. You may like living in the area and decied to stay. All the places to buy are a little out of town - the place is VERY decentralised and they can't seem to make up thier mind where the centre of town is supposed to be. The downside to staying out of town will be the travel to and from work, although this depends on your working hours... airport staff sometimes have odd hours, that may not coincide with peak traffic times. You could also look at Mirdif to rent as well, although the rentals there are going up and quiet quickly. You should be able to get a place very easily for 7k... and even a pretty dencent place for as little as 4k a month...

word of warning... never take an appartment on the top floor! They get as hot as hell, take one in the middle of a block, the surrounding appartments offer a little buffering! At ground level you have to contend with the dust!

Place with a sea view in Bur Dubai is quiet hard... You may be able to get a place that can see the sea from there, but the only view is of Port Rashid Dry Dock... not very inspiring! Definitly no sea view from Mirdiff.

Wait until you know the local market well enough before even considering buying a place! On top of the buying aspect you need to look at upkeep and levies!
dbxsoul
Honored Member

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum