American TV

Topic locked
American TV Oct 05, 2007
What is the best way to get ESPN, CBS, ABC, NBC while in the UAE?

subseaaggie
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 06, 2007
Get Showtime (by dish or by cable from e-Vision). I have it at home. Though not all are there but popular series, comedy, leno, letterman, nickelodeon, are there. I don't recall American sports (specifically ESPN), but some must be there on one of their sports channels.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 06, 2007
alas TV is one thing Dubai still needs to catch up on...you will get loads of re-runs, repeats, etc. They show older seasons of episodes and movies more than 6 months after they are out on DVD...

All in all it can keep you entertained if you combine it with a good internet connection (Du so far has been very satisfactory - Completely Unblocked!!!) ie, thePiratebay :wink:
V-Man
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 06, 2007
V-Man wrote:alas TV is one thing Dubai still needs to catch up on...you will get loads of re-runs, repeats, etc. They show older seasons of episodes and movies more than 6 months after they are out on DVD...

In some countries I ever lived in, I think it's common. Otherwise the station can't afford to pay the license if all are new & latest without re-run.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 06, 2007
Thank you. Has anyone had any luck with "slingbox"?
subseaaggie
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 06, 2007
use the search function on sligbox and your questions will be answered
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 06, 2007
Thanks Arnie... I did as you suggested and noticed you started a thread about purchasing one. Did it work out for you?
subseaaggie
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 07, 2007
i've got the slingbox and it works just fine. make sure the place you have it setup in the states has a router that doesn't go down. otherwise it'll work just fine.

orbit offers espn, and they play all the college and nfl games, and orbit also have nba tv for those games. neither of the packages offer cbs/abc/fox/nbc, you'll need the slingbox for that, or just download them off bit torrents.

good luck
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 07, 2007
Thank you Nuzbim... So you get pretty good clarity when you wire it into you TV? Just curious...
subseaaggie
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 07, 2007
no not installed yet, i am waiting for the slingbox solo to be released in the UK, its available in the States i believe and the reports so far are that it is far superior to the original slingbox

keep us posted how you get on please,

cheers
arniegang

Oct 07, 2007
Will do! Thanks again for the info Arnie
subseaaggie
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 07, 2007
no probs, yw mate
arniegang

Oct 08, 2007
subseaaggie wrote:Thank you Nuzbim... So you get pretty good clarity when you wire it into you TV? Just curious...

not great clarity, because the internet out here is terrible. i've got the highest bandwidth they offer and its never fully usuable. so the streams are typical of low bandwidth, with a lot of lags, but then again it's better than nothing
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum