Accomodation Expense

Topic locked
Accomodation expense Jul 11, 2007
Hi there, just joined the forum, I'm moving to dubai probably in september for new job. Heard conflicting reports on the cost of renting a flat - basically i want to know what a half decent 2 bed apartment costs roughly somewhere not too far from dubai centre - ballpark figure is fine. Also would it be worth living in abu dhabi and commuting in to dubai? Thanks in advance guys,

Duncan

duncanm
Dubai Forum Guest

Jul 11, 2007
hi there, you need to define "dubai centre", dubai is a decentralised city and has a number of commercial "hubs" for what of a better word, each of these has a corrosponding residential area (well a residential area in close proximity). if you tell us where your place of business is then it is easier to give you the options. Sharjah and Ajman are aslo housing options, although they come with their own little issues - mainly traffic. AD is also a traffic and commuting issue, rentals are not as cheap there as what you would expect - this together with the hassle of commuting and price of the fuel may negate any saving you had antissipated.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jul 12, 2007
hey, have a look at the Better Homes Real Estate Agency website, they give a good idea of the prices - they are one of the bigger estate agents in Dubai.

There is also a map which might help you figure out which areas are where and so on.

http://www.bhomes.com
jcraiggibson
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 12, 2007
One would argue that 110-120k pa is the current price you pay for a standard 1-bed in Dubai esp in the Marina area. You need to ask yourself where your office will be located.

If you want to save more probably choose Abu Dhabi but if you want a "life" Dubai is where you need to be ! :lol:
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Jul 12, 2007
I just moved to Dubai 2 weeks ago and have rented a 2RR apartment near Lamcy Plaza, which seems pretty central to me, for 130k (chiller is included). Seems to be the going rate for any decent 2bed.
syiem
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2007
Cheers for advice guys, seems £100k-£110k is a guide price for decent 1 bedder in dubai - better start saving up!
What about cars - if i'm staying for 12 months would it be better to buy or rent? Are cars cheap to buy?
duncanm
Dubai Forum Guest

Jul 13, 2007
sorry mate, i was talking out my arse when i guessed how much 2 bedrooms would be - my mistake.

but i'm getting a 1 bedroom apartment in dubai marina for 95k with a view, i think you can get ones that don't have as good a view for 90k
jcraiggibson
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum