Accommodation Help!

Topic locked
Accommodation help! Nov 11, 2006
Hi,
Im new to this but have been lurking around for a while and have discovered some great info! I do have a question regarding accommodation though.

Currently living in Oz, my husband has received an offer to be transfered to Dubai with his current company. We've been told that the office is on Sheikh Zayed Rd, near the Trade Centre roundabout. What are some good 'expat' areas to live in thats not too far from here? Its just the two of us, no kids (yet), so preferably an area with some decent restaurants/bars/nightlife/things to do etc. We'd be looking at a 2br, villa if we can afford it. We're budgeting around 100-130k Dh p/a - what will this get us?

Ive heard of areas like the greens/lakes/springs which all seem rather nice...is this far to travel to s.zayed rd? whats the traffic like during peak hr? Ive heard traffic is shocking, so we'd like to live closeby.

We'd be looking to arrive late Jan - is accommodation easy to come by at this time? Is it worth organising it here before we go via an agent, or should we spend the first month or so (in paid accomm by company) doing inspections/looking around?

thanks! :)

DeeDee
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 11, 2006
the places you mentioned are in the barsha/jebel ali areas. so going to work in the morning wont be so bad since most of the traffic in the morning is going the other way (comming from sharjah and areas near there dubai).

it should take about 15-20 minutes at the most from the area where you looking at.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 11, 2006
For Villa's, you will have to stick to the Greens/Springs etc. However, there are not too many restaurants/bars etc near there.

However, if you go for a 2 bed flat, you will be able to get something much closer to Trade centre roundabout i.e SZR/Al Diafah etc.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 11, 2006
yorky500 wrote:For Villa's, you will have to stick to the Greens/Springs etc. However, there are not too many restaurants/bars etc near there.

However, if you go for a 2 bed flat, you will be able to get something much closer to Trade centre roundabout i.e SZR/Al Diafah etc.

2 bed flats in SZR currently going for 110 - 130k
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 11, 2006
Same as what they are prepared to pay for a 2 bed Villa. The flat on SZR will be a heck of a lot closer to pubs/restaurants/shops etc.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 12, 2006
You can rent a villa in Jumeirah, Um Suquiem or Satwa those two areas are close by to SZR. Springs will probably be cheaper and your husband will be going against rush hour traffic on his way to work in the morning and back in the evening. Meadows are bigger but will most probably be out of your budget range.

Also not sure how long you plan to be here but an option to keep in mind is in the Springs, Meadows, Emirates Hills etc.. you can own property if you wish to do so. However in Jumeirah, Um Suqiem, or Satwa you cannot do that.

Best of luck.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 13, 2006
Thanks for the replies everyone..
We're probably looking at The Springs at this stage...seems like a nice area and in our price range. Anyone here live there that can give me some feedback?

Do you think we'll have a problem with finding a place in late Jan when we arrive? Can we generally move in within the first month we're there?

Good point about buying - his contract is indefinite with a minimum of 2 years so it might be something we'll decide to do if we like the place!
DeeDee
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2006
my two fils....

If I were you I’d get an apartment on SZR, restaurants, bars, clubs, work all very close. Your original post indicates you like to go out, if so then this would be better suited imho. SZR has a younger feel to it then the springs (again my opinion, others may disagree).

for the Springs to SZR people are correct in saying that it'll take ~20 mins to get to work and back because you are going against traffic but if decide to go out for dinner then good luck getting to the centre of town in under an hour.

The best is to decide when you get here, your budget is such that you can get a 2br villa in the springs or a 2 br apartment on SZR
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Nov 13, 2006
fayz wrote:my two fils....

If I were you I’d get an apartment on SZR, restaurants, bars, clubs, work all very close. Your original post indicates you like to go out, if so then this would be better suited imho. SZR has a younger feel to it then the springs (again my opinion, others may disagree).

for the Springs to SZR people are correct in saying that it'll take ~20 mins to get to work and back because you are going against traffic but if decide to go out for dinner then good luck getting to the centre of town in under an hour.

The best is to decide when you get here, your budget is such that you can get a 2br villa in the springs or a 2 br apartment on SZR

Going out for Dinner, many new places opening up at that end of town also, Marina, Madinat etc, so choices are many. Mind you tring to get into town at around 8pm, can be a real pain.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum