21yo Student Thinking About Moving Out To Dubai

Topic locked
21yo Student thinking about moving out to dubai Mar 04, 2009
hey guys...

Just really looking for some advice from you all...

Im currently about to start my final year of a BA Hons in Economics and Environmental Science.. many of you might think i'd wanna do something Oil...Climate Changey -ish... But my passion here is Retail. Ive worked for Debenhams since i was 16 and pretty much run my department due to being so enthusiastic and striving in the environment we have...

A friend of mine who i study with is from Dubai and always talks of how great life is, and has pretty much got me in the mood..

I really would love to move out when i graduate and get a job in the retail sector, and even working for Debenhams through Alshaya...(Ive done my research).. Does anyone here work for them or know anything about working in retail in dubai?? Obviously i don't speak Arabic, but i do speak quite a bit of French and i have noticed a few websites mention that as a useful language...

If anyone is around my age and can fill me in on their experiences, or just anyone in general it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Graeme :P

gr049
Dubai Forum Guest

Mar 04, 2009
Honestly not too sure about the salary packages retailers offer.

I did briefly communicate with someone working in the Landmark Group managing a brand line for them and she wasn't happy by far !
On that same note I did have a chat with a couple of Indian blokes at second cup coffee shop, who mentioned they were getting paid 7k Dirhams and were store managers at Jumbo :shock:

Don't let me be the grim reaper. I am sure others may have positive things to say about the retail remuneration in the UAE :D

I strongly suggest if retailing and its long hours give you joy don't settle for anything lesser than 3k USD excluding commissions and sadly that's not much :(
godsent
Dubai Forums Talker

Mar 04, 2009
I have friends who are into retail and the starting package is AED 4000 to 7000 plus accommodation.. I dont know about Debenhams..

however, for an entry level... such package is a good start given "Accommodation" is provided... if not provided you need at least AED 9000 to 15K to live a normal life in Dubai and maybe do some savings

you also get sales commission at the end of the month.. however, due to the crises, none of my friends are receiving any commissions at the moment.

you don't have to speak arabic... as English is the main language in Dubai

it seems you are aware of the difficulties working in retail? you will work in shifts and it may go upto 12hours work during weekends... and you will rarely get a day off during weekends.. making it hard to socialize with friends..

I can point you to some major retail outlets where my friends work when you are ready to move.
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Re: 21yo Student thinking about moving out to dubai Mar 04, 2009
gr049 wrote:hey guys...

Im currently about to start my final year of a BA Hons in Economics and Environmental Science.. many of you might think i'd wanna do something Oil...Climate Changey -ish... But my passion here is Retail. Ive worked for Debenhams since i was 16 and pretty much run my department due to being so enthusiastic and striving in the environment we have...

A friend of mine who i study with is from Dubai and always talks of how great life is, and has pretty much got me in the mood..

I really would love to move out when i graduate and get a job in the retail sector, and even working for Debenhams through Alshaya...(Ive done my research).. Does anyone here work for them or know anything about working in retail in dubai?? Obviously i don't speak Arabic, but i do speak quite a bit of French and i have noticed a few websites mention that as a useful language...

If anyone is around my age and can fill me in on their experiences, or just anyone in general it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Are you a bandit?
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: 21yo Student thinking about moving out to dubai Mar 04, 2009
Del wrote:
gr049 wrote:hey guys...

Thanks

Are you a bandit?

looooooooool Del.... don't start with the poor guy :lol:
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Mar 04, 2009
Thanks very much quatroporte thats some good help..

Del, well... Thanks (I think?)

quatroporte: Do you know of any websites i can get more information about jobs like that?

Cheers
gr049
Dubai Forum Guest

Mar 04, 2009
Are you a merchant?
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum