What Do You Want In A Nightclub?

Topic locked
What do you want in a nightclub? Oct 19, 2006
Hey All,

I ask this question because the new clubbing season is nearly upon us, and there's new ideas, new clubs opening, new policies etc etc, and some of the stuff I've been privy to seems a little odd.

So I'd like you to tell me what it is that you (the punter) wants in a club.

The type of music, location, atmosphere, international/local dj's, offers etc etc etc.

Just out of interest.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 19, 2006
There's a clubbing season in Dubai?

Perhaps i should change my name to pleb, or naive! :oops:

You have just reminded how much I have not been out and about...
island_sands
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2006
well things close down during Ramadan thats why its considered the "break" of the year before the new season starts ;)

I would like to see more clubs like IBO real people, real music, and lots of fun !!

Also, i would like to have more clubs that play international and Arabic music. Its really sad that in Dubai an arab city we only have two clubs that have arabic music nights !!! but i guess there might not be enough people to support more than two ?
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 19, 2006
MaaaD wrote:
Also, i would like to have more clubs that play international and Arabic music. Its really sad that in Dubai an arab city we only have two clubs that have arabic music nights !!! but i guess there might not be enough people to support more than two ?

Which ones are those MaaaD? I am not too familiar with clubs here, always been more of a bar person, but love dancing - just hate house music. I like clubs that play retro and a good mix as opposed to just mind altering music :D (maybe i am an old fart?)
island_sands
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2006
Possibility to get in without necessarly being 21 (18 is widely enough)
Open-minded people
And no more suckers...
JackTheRipper
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 19, 2006
Serai in Dubai Marine and Harem in Century Village (thursday night) play Arabic music !
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 19, 2006
I hear you Maaad, that's exactly what I'd like to see, less protentious places and people out and about.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 19, 2006
Choco what new places are opening up ? Do we know if the venue where tangerine was is opening up anytime soon ?
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 20, 2006
I lived in Dubai Marine Hotel this summer and visited Serai...to tell u the truth it was better last year.
bonitta
Dubai chat master

Oct 20, 2006
i think dubai needs a hard dance scene :idea:
175bpm
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 20, 2006
Tangerine is re-opening soon, as far as I know it's going to be called the 400 club (I think), basically set up as an exlcusive members only clubs, where it's table bookings only at about 3,000 Dhs a pop - arse if you ask me. Sorry but it'll be Lebanese flashing the cash only.

Blush - opening at what used to be Planetarium and most recently Chameleon and Ice bar. It launches 26th Oct, I put the dj line-up for the next few weeks in the Events section. Dion Mavath is one of the guys behind it, so it should be good.

The Loft - what used to be the old Diamond club is finally re-opening. The set-up is very much like Lotus One. Thursday nights are called Elevate and Fridays Evolve, as yet don't know what the other nights will be. Local dj's Charl Chaka, Dany Neville and DJ KV already lined up to play, with international artist guests. However a couple of things make me dubious as to whether this place will work. It only has a licence till 2am, and it doesn't have a dance floor and people can only dance around their tables/chairs etc. Now if you're a big name DJ being brought in to play, would you like to play in a place which has no dance floor and people are encouraged not to dance?!

Entry fees are going bananas this season and I just think clubbers in Dubai are starting to get a raw deal and it's becoming elitist, and less about those who like the music.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 20, 2006
*Puts on black shirt, gets hair gel only to remember his head is shaved, and hits one club after the other*

Finally the clubbing scene suits my Lebanesleazy tastes! If only I had the means to book a table and spend +3000dhs...Guess it'll take me some time to enter the hall of hame...
Nick81
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Oct 20, 2006
Hehehe, nice one Nick. I didn't mean it offensively, but when I saw the PPT presentations for these places and they listed the attribues of the clientele they were targeting, well what can I say, it was there in a nutshell.

Of course there will be people of all types, but I can definately see the appeal of these places being very niche.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 20, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Hehehe, nice one Nick. I didn't mean it offensively, but when I saw the PPT presentations for these places and they listed the attribues of the clientele they were targeting, well what can I say, it was there in a nutshell.

Of course there will be people of all types, but I can definately see the appeal of these places being very niche.

I know Chocs, I was just kidding too and sadly your description of Dubai's Lebanese jet-set isn't too far from the truth. Heck I went out to a new club yesterday and it was insane... I think the new trend is to get your lips done here... Wonder how it feels to kiss a chick like this. Guess I should practice kissing jello or something :roll:

:lol:
Nick81

Oct 20, 2006
Nick81 wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Hehehe, nice one Nick. I didn't mean it offensively, but when I saw the PPT presentations for these places and they listed the attribues of the clientele they were targeting, well what can I say, it was there in a nutshell.

I know Chocs, I was just kidding too and sadly your description of Dubai's Lebanese jet-set isn't too far from the truth. Heck I went out to a new club yesterday and it was insane... I think the new trend is to get your lips done here... Wonder how it feels to kiss a chick like this. Guess I should practice kissing jello or something :roll:

Kindly elaborate????
:lol:
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Oct 20, 2006
you know what i wanna see.......a heavy metal nightclub

currently they are called gigs but yeah....a nightclub with metal music instead of techno
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 20, 2006
i think i'm with choco. i love to dance but hate house music. i'm just looking for a spot with real people. not too many hardlegs as well.
gregory863
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 20, 2006
Live music too, I like clubs that play live grunge/metal music, with some good bands, with a mixture of covers and their own stuff.

As for table booking. I just don't get it. Why spend 1000+ dh to book a table, and get a bottle of Vodka for the table? Bizarre.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 20, 2006
^ian^ wrote:Live music too, I like clubs that play live grunge/metal music, with some good bands, with a mixture of covers and their own stuff.

As for table booking. I just don't get it. Why spend 1000+ dh to book a table, and get a bottle of Vodka for the table? Bizarre.

You wouldn't understand mate. You're not cool or a VVIP.
Nick81

Oct 20, 2006
Nick81 wrote:
^ian^ wrote:Live music too, I like clubs that play live grunge/metal music, with some good bands, with a mixture of covers and their own stuff.

You wouldn't understand mate. You're not cool or a VVIP.

LOL, I know that was sarcasm.
^ian^

Oct 20, 2006
i think they should make a club that u can be 18 n GET IN
d3vilish_ang3l_88
Dubai chat master

Oct 20, 2006
:lol: :lol:

hey didn't u notice my black shirt, chest hair and gold chain around my neck!? I am a real man and people know that as soon as I enter a club. Lil bow to acknowledge my status, best table in the house, fattest bill of the night, I am da shit as Jamal would put it so wisely.
Nick81

Oct 20, 2006
Nick81 wrote::lol: :lol:

hey didn't u notice my black shirt, chest hair and gold chain around my neck!? I am a real man and people know that as soon as I enter a club. Lil bow to acknowledge my status, best table in the house, fattest bill of the night, I am da shit as Jamal would put it so wisely.

Lol! and if these people ever have a serious accident, Mastercard, Visa and American Express will be at the scene before the Ambulance.
^ian^

Oct 20, 2006
MaaaD wrote:Serai in Dubai Marine and Harem in Century Village (thursday night) play Arabic music !

i went to harem...got to admit...arabic beats are wicked!!....couldnt stop from dancing to it...yeah we did it in style....hummer entry...gorgeous dates(no not the fruits )...bottle of vodka...table...saw a lot of air kissing and "my table is better than thou"....but this is perhaps one of the few experiances in dubai where the music was so nice...i didnt think about leaving till the end...
you know what i would like for a change...the bars/clubs doing a e deal on the booze for us customers...i love the miss moneypenny idea...and if you throw in deals like 100 dirhams for a jug of JD and coke...its awesome...forget about the bartender or helps attention/busy night syndrome...get your poison by the buckett...and relax and chill the rest of the night...or get another....in one of the nightclubs i used to go to...100 dirhams for 2 jugs of JD COKE...you cant beat that....amazing shooters deals...the bar would actually end up getting more revenue rather than a guy nursing on one misrable drink the whole night coz it cost him 40 dirhams for a waterdown version of crapjuice...anyways thats my thoughts...i dont even want to begin on the stupidity with which clubs are run here...door policy wise....lol...and house is alright....trance and techo should be banned :P
constantine

Oct 20, 2006
MaaaD wrote:well things close down during Ramadan thats why its considered the "break" of the year before the new season starts ;)

I would like to see more clubs like IBO real people, real music, and lots of fun !!

im with u :D
raidah

Re: What do you want in a nightclub? Oct 20, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Hey All,

I ask this question because the new clubbing season is nearly upon us, and there's new ideas, new clubs opening, new policies etc etc, and some of the stuff I've been privy to seems a little odd.

So I'd like you to tell me what it is that you (the punter) wants in a club.

The type of music, location, atmosphere, international/local dj's, offers etc etc etc.

Just out of interest.

hey choco r you a party girl :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
westside
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 20, 2006
Yes I am, but I know most of the promoters here and just wanted to know more what people want, as they all seem to be going away from the 'real clubs and music, for real people'

It's sad. I'd also like to see good drinks offers etc and loyalty officer for regular customers etc.

I'm also with Bleakus, I miss the grungy indie nightclubs, where you can just go wearing your beat up old jeans, pumps and just mosh to the music. People look at me like I'm a right weirdo when I turn up for some nights wearing pumps instead of sky-high heels 'oh excuse me for wanting to actually dance to the music'.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 20, 2006
I am all in for a Metal/Rock nightclub as one or two have suggested.

Unfortunately, the Clubs here are just a place for sleaze-bags to go and hang out at and not really enjoy the atmosphere or music, and to me that really suxs big time.

Nick81 has described them to a T! hahahahaha
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 21, 2006
someone should do something outdoors when the weather is good.

Cheers,

D
smartd
Dubai Forums Vice-Admin

Oct 21, 2006
smartd wrote:someone should do something outdoors when the weather is good.

Cheers,

D

They had something going on in the Dubai Country Club last year i think it was Rob-b and Danny Neville if i am not mistaken .. never got to check them out though .. I am sure there will be outdoor events this year too ..
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai EventsForum Rules

Return to Dubai Events