Worst Drivers In Dubai

Topic locked
Worst Drivers in Dubai Jan 30, 2009
http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Traffic_ ... 80338.html

Pakistanis are the most dangerous drivers in Dubai, police data shows

By Ashfaq Ahmed, Chief Reporter
Published: January 29, 2009, 22:59

Dubai: Pakistanis remained the most dangerous drivers in Dubai for the second consecutive year, while most number of people killed in traffic accidents were Indians, say Dubai Police statistics.

However, Gulf News readers in a poll said Emiratis are the most dangerous drivers.

According to statistics released by Dubai Police, Pakistani drivers were involved in the maximum number of fatal accidents as they were held responsible for causing 95 deaths on Dubai roads in 2008 compared to 83 in 2007.

This was followed by Indians, who caused 63 fatal accidents last year compared to 81 in 2007. Emirati drivers were third, as they committed 42 fatal accidents last year, compared to 57 in 2007.

The number of people killed in road accidents has reduced to 294 last year compared to 332 in 2007.

Some 34 per cent of Gulf News readers responding to a poll question say Emiratis are the most dangerous drivers, 24 per cent say 'nationality does not matter', 17 per cent say Pakistani are most dangerous drivers, 10 per cent say 'Egyptian', nine per cent say 'Indians and one per cent says Omanis are the most dangerous drivers while four per cent say 'all of them'.

Police statistics revealed that Indian expatriates topped the list of people killed in road accidents for the second consecutive year. Some 107 Indians were killed last year compared to 128 in 2007 followed by 56 Pakistanis killed last year compared to 57 in 2007.

Emiratis with 39 deaths in 2007 and 30 in 2008 were in the third position, statistics showed.

A senior traffic police official gave a reason behind Pakistanis being the most dangerous drivers.

"Most of the drivers for buses, trucks, tankers and other commercial vehicles are Pakistani and they are the one involved in most number of fatal accidents."

He added that Indians are involved in most accidents because they are the single-largest nationality in Dubai and consequently hold the most driving licences.

sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Worst Drivers in Dubai Jan 30, 2009
sage & onion wrote:"Most of the drivers for buses, trucks, tankers and other commercial vehicles are Pakistani and they are the one involved in most number of fatal accidents."

That makes more sense than the sensationalist headline :)

The problem lies with many commercial drivers, (and the Andrew Blairs) as well. It just happens that Pakistanis make the bulk of commercial crivers, not sure why they are so preferred though...
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 30, 2009
Do Emirais have to take driving tests (Driving test....he said laughingly) ....Serious question???
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 30, 2009
in my 10 years of experience in uae roads, arabs generally are the most dangerous drivers though newspapers say something else.
gafoorgk
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 30, 2009
Private or commercial doesn't matter. The type of vehicle or lorry you drive depends on your profession and that must require significant training for safety. This simply lacks in some countries. So nationalities DO matter.

In Europe for instance, getting a simple driving license will cost you about 1500 euro at the fastest pace showing true driving skills. 'Normal drivers' do it for approx 1500 - 2500 euro's depending on the amount of driving lessons needed. (one lesson of an hour = 75 euro and rising)

If an emirati for instance can get his drivers license for 3 hours driving on UAE roads, that seriously says something about driving quality.

How pakistanis get their license is unknown to me. Considering their reputation of killings on Dubai roads in 2008 I say its rubbish. Put them on Europes requirements for lorry and truck drivers and I'll bet 90 percent fails instantly.

Quality of lessons and situational awareness for safety is the problem. Roads getting more busy by the day. Responsibility is key.
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 30, 2009
RobbyG wrote:How pakistanis get their license is unknown to me. Considering their reputation of killings on Dubai roads in 2008 I say its rubbish. Put them on Europes requirements for lorry and truck drivers and I'll bet 90 percent fails instantly.

I think there could be a number of reasons for Pakistani's topping the list.

One could be due to the fact that there is a shortage of truck/lorry drivers and hence they are "given" licenses just to get businesses (like transport) up and running. They are obviously not properly paid which makes them frustrated and we all know what happens when you are frustrated and drive. Plus, as already stated, majority of truck/lorry/bus drivers are pakistani so obviously that's the reason why they top the list. E.g Americans wont top the list because there arent any who drive lorries in Dubai!

Lastly, almost every other day, there is a headline in the news saying that that someone was killed in an accident due to speeding. You tell me how many times it is because it was some Pakistani dude doing it? Mind you, I know many Pakistani people with sports cars!

Im a Pakistani (not a truck driver, just a student) and have driven in Dubai for 3 years without a single accident or even a "close call". I just dont think its fair to generalise by saying "How pakistanis get their license is unknown to me" because all are not like that.

P.S I totally agree that driving training should be massively improved in this country. Its just that saying Pakistanis cant drive etc. makes me feel absurd. (Not just you RobbyG, but many more people)
redtilldead
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 30, 2009
Wow, hold it. I never said that pakistani's can't drive!! Where you get that from.
What is said was: How pakistani's get their licences is unknown to me. Meaning, I don't know what the requirements are.

However, I do understand why you thought that. The word 'how' is not appropriate in this context I think. I could have formulated it differently.

:wink:
RobbyG

Jan 30, 2009
smoggie wrote:Do Emirais have to take driving tests (Driving test....he said laughingly) ....Serious question???

It's just a formality for them, really.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 31, 2009
Their survey is all wrong. pete t is the worse driver in Dubai. ;-)

But seriously, it all needs to be taken in perspective. If there are more Pakistani drivers on the road then they will be responsible for more accidents, it doesn't mean they are the worst drivers though.

They need stats on the accidents in relation to the number of drivers of each country.

But it's all a joke anyway. Until they start patrolling the roads properly it doesn't matter. When you see a guy in a BMW 745 drive past a cop car at 190km/h and the cop does nothing you really have to wonder why they are there at all.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Jan 31, 2009
And the debate goes on, the question is do you believe the statistics that have been published?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 31, 2009
sage & onion wrote:And the debate goes on, the question is do you believe the statistics that have been published?

Onion! Because you didn't ask us that question earlier on... :idea:

my answer; probably higher numbers than reported.
RobbyG

Jan 31, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
sage & onion wrote:And the debate goes on, the question is do you believe the statistics that have been published?

Onion! Because you didn't ask us that question earlier on... :idea:

my answer; probably higher numbers than reported.

In which sense or way would they be higher in your opinion?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 31, 2009
I'm not fully aware of the measures that the police in Dubai uses to gain statistics, but I think their numbers are not always reported as per standard procedure.

Meaning, not all incidents are reported and the real number of incidents/accidents will be higher as reported. My 2 cents.

ps; Image is everything.
Other example: US government is hiding real inflation numbers by 'manipulating' the calculation method of (core) CPI numbers.
RobbyG

Jan 31, 2009

in short, i do not believe it.
gafoorgk
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 31, 2009
The lorry drivers are paid by the amount of deliveries, not by the hour. So they are encouraged to drive faster to make more money.

Yet another typically thoughtless strategy.
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 31, 2009
Police officials have themselves admitted that Emiratis between 18-25 are most likely to kill others. From personal experience, the mentioned category along with some truck drivers (mostly Pakistanis) are dangerous. Some Arab expats also drive as if they have psychological issues
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 31, 2009
One dead in Shaikh Zayed Road crash

Staff Report
Published: January 30, 2009, 20:49

Dubai: An Indian man died on Friday, after being hit by a vehicle on Shaikh Zayed Road at around 5.30pm.

The Pakistani driver also crashed into a minibus, but no further injuries were reported.

Vehicles involved in the accident were described as ‘extremely’ damaged.
TheChoosen
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 31, 2009
Another fatal accident :(
http://gulfnews.com/nation/Traffic_and_ ... 80666.html

The police really needs to get their act together to sort out these unfortunate frequent happenings.

Captain Australia wrote:But seriously, it all needs to be taken in perspective. If there are more Pakistani drivers on the road then they will be responsible for more accidents, it doesn't mean they are the worst drivers though.

But it's all a joke anyway. Until they start patrolling the roads properly it doesn't matter. When you see a guy in a BMW 745 drive past a cop car at 190km/h and the cop does nothing you really have to wonder why they are there at all.

Exactly!
redtilldead
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 31, 2009
The solution is very simple.

Enforce EQUALLY strict driving license tests and enforce traffic laws for everyone.
There's no point having strict tests for truck drivers if well-connected 18 year olds can walk in and buy a license.

Similarly, no point in deporting truck drivers for overspeeding if some can drive their Range Rovers at 200 kmh past police cars
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 31, 2009
redtilldead wrote:Another fatal accident :(

The police really needs to get their act together to sort out these unfortunate frequent happenings.

Captain Australia wrote:But seriously, it all needs to be taken in perspective. If there are more Pakistani drivers on the road then they will be responsible for more accidents, it doesn't mean they are the worst drivers though.

Exactly!

I was gonna post something like that.
Divide the amount of Pakistani residents by the amount of Pakistani drivers and you'll find they're probably the safest drivers in Dubai!
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 31, 2009
lol maybe the paki drivers are targetting the indians :D lol the indians will start acussing the pakis of terroists act :D

honestly the worst drivers are indians. i mean driving 50km in the fast lane where the speed should be 120km and the cheek to brake when a car comes from the behind flashing.

then there are the van drivers. with twin cam van those guys have a killing machine in their hands.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

worst drivers Jan 31, 2009
driving responsible has something to do with maturity, education, mental development and leading a responsible, structured life. If you wake up noon time nothing to do, no worries other than making sure your gas tank is filled
and the car keys are within reach, this country will have problems with
those drivers.
macjul
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 31, 2009
Del wrote:
redtilldead wrote:Another fatal accident :(

Exactly!

I was gonna post something like that.
Divide the amount of Pakistani residents by the amount of Pakistani drivers and you'll find they're probably the safest drivers in Dubai!

Well, kick off please.
I'm looking forward to your results and please show us the numbers with sources.

Thank you :wink:
RobbyG

Feb 01, 2009
rudeboy wrote:honestly the worst drivers are indians. i mean driving 50km in the fast lane where the speed should be 120km and the cheek to brake when a car comes from the behind flashing.

You took the words right outta my mouth.. spot on mate.

I'm surprised banglaboy hasn't chipped in with his "constructive" comments so far.
zzzane
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 01, 2009
zzzane wrote:
rudeboy wrote:honestly the worst drivers are indians. i mean driving 50km in the fast lane where the speed should be 120km and the cheek to brake when a car comes from the behind flashing.

I'm surprised banglaboy hasn't chipped in with his "constructive" comments so far.

Banglaboy is on an internet time cap. In his district region they just manage to keep up with 36k6 modems and other budget contraints. :wink:

1 hour a day at max. otherwise his mom kicks the crap outtoff him. Remember...the old days (back in the early '90s)? :lol: :lol: :lol:
RobbyG

Feb 01, 2009
zzzane wrote:

you both have got to be kidding. I see arabs as the worst drivers given a chance they will run you down and kill you - even if there are ladies or children crossing the road.
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 01, 2009
michaeldubai wrote:
zzzane wrote:

you both have got to be kidding. I see arabs as the worst drivers given a chance they will run you down and kill you - even if there are ladies or children crossing the road.

very much true.

generally they lack maturity, education, mental development and leading a responsible, structured life. that could be the reason why their behavior is rude everywhere.
gafoorgk
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 01, 2009
for me... based on the statistics shown.. Emiratis are the worst for being a minority in the driving population... let us say that 15% of licensed residents are locals and 80% of them have committed traffic misconduct isn't it statiscally right to say that most emiratis aren't fit to drive ?
Jot
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 01, 2009
according to a friend of mine who works in police he confirmed to me.. that the most fetal accidents are indeed caused by Pakistani drivers...

my dad is a sr. transport manager for a construction company and he is in business for the past 20 years.. and we had discussed this topic and he confirms that Paki drivers are the worst, causing the company he works for last year so many fines, two deported for major accidents, another two already exceeded the 24 black points.. and the list goes on...

Paki's are usually the cheapest and usually got better experience followed by Sardar's and Syrians... but the later two demand more salary than Paki's

paki's get out tempered very fast and over react all the time
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Feb 01, 2009
and I have posted my opinion in another forum which I mentioned

Arab drivers are dangerous in general but cause lesser accidents due to the fact Egyptians, Lebanese, Syrians, Jordanians and Iraninans etc are used to messy driving back in their home countries and usually much more focused... however, they are never used to road discipline, or obeying the rules.

Western European drivers are a different topic... due to the fact they came from a highly civilized countries who are very disciplined on the roads and not used to messy driving they end up getting PANIC alot when they meet an Emirati or an Arab driver on the roads... I mean they end up complaining on Radios, Newspapers, Forums, blogs everywhere.. they just panic all the time on how bad everyone else drive in Dubai!!!! :D
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat