World's First "Zero Carbon" City Is In The UAE!!!!

Topic locked
Re: World's First "Zero Carbon" City is in the UAE!!!! Sep 28, 2010
MotionComputing wrote:But step back for a while and just think about the amount of paper that was used by the contractors, architects, planners and project managers in developing this city??

I have to say i agree in this instance.

if ever there was a project that could have benefited from being "paper free", it was surely this one.

Instead, two copies of all paperwork for submittals, PLUS the same information on 2 CD's, which are by all accounts not too friendly to the environment by nature of the way they are manufactured.

That can't have helped the carbon count, but the powers that be seem not to have taken this into account.

A lot of paper could have been saved by using a system like Aconex (anyone in construction may know this system).

Maybe something for them to consider whilst planning the next phase of the city.

BlueOrb
Dubai forums Addict

Re: World's First "Zero Carbon" City Is In The UAE!!!! Sep 29, 2010
:wink: MC

I admit it was a cheap shot at the expense of a worthy cause .... but come on, if it made you smile then it was worth it !!

Go in piece(s) A4 !
viking-warrior
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: World's First "Zero Carbon" City is in the UAE!!!! Sep 29, 2010
Here is a paper friendly suggestion:

All government departments should from now on print all forms on toilet paper. After all, most of the stuff they produce ends up effectively being abused...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: World's First "Zero Carbon" City is in the UAE!!!! Sep 29, 2010
BlueOrb wrote:
MotionComputing wrote:But step back for a while and just think about the amount of paper that was used by the contractors, architects, planners and project managers in developing this city??

I have to say i agree in this instance.

if ever there was a project that could have benefited from being "paper free", it was surely this one.

Instead, two copies of all paperwork for submittals, PLUS the same information on 2 CD's, which are by all accounts not too friendly to the environment by nature of the way they are manufactured.

That can't have helped the carbon count, but the powers that be seem not to have taken this into account.

A lot of paper could have been saved by using a system like Aconex (anyone in construction may know this system).

Maybe something for them to consider whilst planning the next phase of the city.

100% correct there are couple of developers using the software however they still have to print now and then because it is a requirement from the government & developer!!

viking-warrior wrote::wink: MC

I admit it was a cheap shot at the expense of a worthy cause .... but come on, if it made you smile then it was worth it !!

Go in piece(s) A4 !

a smile is worth millions!!! :)

Dubai Knight wrote:Here is a paper friendly suggestion:

All government departments should from now on print all forms on toilet paper. After all, most of the stuff they produce ends up effectively being abused...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight

you are correct that they should do something about all the forms they use. Someone ought to check how much the local muncipalities/ministries spend on paper!! I recently got my residence visa sorted out and was shocked to see 6 to 7 pieces of paper attached to my application!! 3 to 4 of them came from the ministry i.e the immigration and one came from the health department!! Are the local typing centers owned by the government as well??? If not I think I ought to open up 1 aswell!!! But honestly I wouldnt be suprised that the whole process probably costs UAE government millions of dollars when it comes to printing paper,scanning, printer maintenance, printer cartridges and even the power assumption that the printers use up!! Even if they decide to use toilet papers, you are looking at a huge pile of toilet paper that will probably be worth more than GOLD!! 8)
MotionComputing
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat