Women In Dubai

Topic locked
women in dubai Aug 29, 2006
Long before I came to dubai, i used to think that women who wear abaya are dumb freaky ppl who stare at the outside world through a slit.
Now that I have met a few, my perceptions have changed. I have realised that they are well educated, cheerful and charming people. They are successfully professionals etc etc...

I want to know the views of people who veil themselves and who dont.
-Is it a boon or a bane?
-Do you feel that a veil is a practical clothing?
-Do you think its making you less attractive?
-Is a hindrance when it comes to daily activities?
-etc etc

No one word answers please.

dale
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 30, 2006
It's a cultural thing (5 words)
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: women in dubai Aug 30, 2006
dale wrote:, i used to think that women who wear abaya are dumb freaky ppl who stare at the outside world through a slit.....
Now .... I have realised that they are well educated, cheerful and charming people.

Amazing what happens when you open your eyes and remove your prejudices, pre conceived notions, etc.

Good on you for making the effort to get to know people. (28 words and an over used amount of punctuation marks)
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Re: women in dubai Aug 30, 2006
fayz wrote:(28 words and an over used amount of punctuation marks)

:lol: :lol:
dale
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 12, 2006
nice post Dale! if more people opened their minds like you the world would be a more tolerable place
tdot
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2006
I think it is shameful that you would assume that a piece of cloth over someone's face made them less intelligent or freaky. Bravo for discovering something you should have assumed in the first place. :roll:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Sep 16, 2006
my bad... but i think i have to be more clear on this. as far as i know getting behind a veil in islam is more then wearing a piece of cloth.
men and women cannot :
-talk unnecessarily
-look at each other
-work or study in communal areas
-show body figure
-use strong perfume
-flirt or date
many other things i might not know.

on the other hand a husband and a wife have to devote themselves to each other and then can have all the fun.

IMHO wearing a veil is not only a fashion statement but a lifestyle.

i feared that with such a system these women cannot grow, learn and move ahead in life.
to my surprise dubai has a social system which runs on has islamic values which is at par with the rest of the world
dale
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 16, 2006
I don't think I have seen dubai girl pictures... does dubai women look like arab?
Shedy
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2006
It took me a great deal of self-control not to answer that question.
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Sep 19, 2006
We wear hijab becuz it resembles modesty, it is our identity and now a days we celebrate this with beautiful embroidery and colored scarfs,

And no hijab does not restrict us, we study in mixed colleges we work with men but there are some boundaries.
mema
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 26, 2006
my bad... but i think i have to be more clear on this. as far as i know getting behind a veil in islam is more then wearing a piece of cloth.
men and women cannot :
-talk unnecessarily
-look at each other
-work or study in communal areas
-show body figure
-use strong perfume
-flirt or date
many other things i might not know.

on the other hand a husband and a wife have to devote themselves to each other and then can have all the fun.

IMHO wearing a veil is not only a fashion statement but a lifestyle.

i feared that with such a system these women cannot grow, learn and move ahead in life.
to my surprise dubai has a social system which runs on has islamic values which is at par with the rest of the world

I'm muslim and i m from Turkey and most of people dont live like so above. everybody can live how day want.
Deniz
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat