Will Dubai Be The Center Of The World By 2020?

Topic locked
Will Dubai be the Center of the World by 2020? Aug 02, 2007
As I look at all the truly amazing projects going on in Dubai I am truly impressed. There is no other place on earth with anything this incredible going on. Not even China. So I ask you: will Dubai be the Center of the World by 2020??

$$Dubai
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 03, 2007
The center of the world is molten core.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Re: Will Dubai be the Center of the World by 2020? Aug 03, 2007
$$Dubai wrote:As I look at all the truly amazing projects going on in Dubai I am truly impressed. There is no other place on earth with anything this incredible going on. Not even China. So I ask you: will Dubai be the Center of the World by 2020??

nop, The Other existing big cities wont let such a thing happens, I mean it's all about cashing in from tourists and attracting big bucks into the city, they will keep expanding and booming too.. it is expensive as it is now I don't know how much will it coast to spend a night there in 2020 or just cruse its streets !!
firefingers

Aug 03, 2007
Center of the world is a bit of drastic forecast - but it will possibly become one of the worlds big destinations and join the new yorks, paris, london, stockhom, brussels of this world.

I was in Abu Dhabi yesterday - has anyone seen there plans, looks like they want to 'up one' on Dubai.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Aug 04, 2007
jabbajabba wrote:Center of the world is a bit of drastic forecast - but it will possibly become one of the worlds big destinations and join the new yorks, paris, london, stockhom, brussels of this world.

I was in Abu Dhabi yesterday - has anyone seen there plans, looks like they want to 'up one' on Dubai.

Yep looks abu dhabi is slowly gonna get up in the race with dubai. The projects they have launched would go neck to neck with any in dubai.
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 04, 2007
jabbajabba wrote:Center of the world is a bit of drastic forecast - but it will possibly become one of the worlds big destinations and join the new yorks, paris, london, stockhom, brussels of this world.

The quality is much better too....
The Major
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 04, 2007
The Major wrote:

I think we would have to wait and see on that one, taking past history into account.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 04, 2007
The Major wrote:

How would quality be better if both cities use the same cheap unskilled labour.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 04, 2007
from what I have seen, the finishes are a lot better quality than most I have seen in Dubai
The Major
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 04, 2007
I really dont think there's much to compare n contrast.. just that Abu Dhabi has more flora n more space around the city....
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Aug 04, 2007
Thats what I like about AD - the avenue of trees as you come into town.

I am kind of nauseated by big developments now. I am sure not everyone feels the same as me but after you have seen one you have seen them all.

I miss woodlands, valleys and some green fields - no one can do it better then mother nature in my humble opinion.

In fact I prefer the desert to the palms, worlds, marinas - far more beautiful.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Aug 04, 2007
jabbajabba wrote:Thats what I like about AD - the avenue of trees as you come into town.

I am kind of nauseated by big developments now. I am sure not everyone feels the same as me but after you have seen one you have seen them all.

I miss woodlands, valleys and some green fields - no one can do it better then mother nature in my humble opinion.

Difficult to air condition though :wink:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 04, 2007
sage & onion wrote:
jabbajabba wrote:Thats what I like about AD - the avenue of trees as you come into town.

Not from your V8 landcruiser its not :)
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Aug 04, 2007
jabbajabba wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

Not from your V8 landcruiser its not :)

hahahahaha
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

My 2 cents: Aug 12, 2007
The value of projects either planned or under way in Dubai will total $310,000 million over the next decade, according to The Dubai Real Estate Report 2007 launched by the Middle East Economic Digest (MEED)."Of this, close to $230,000 million, equivalent to almost three-quarters of the total, is planned in the property sector", added the in-depth report which provides insight into supply and demand trends in the Emirate's booming property sector.Dubai's real estate and business services, said the report, have recorded average growth of 25 per cent a year, driven in large part by government-empowered developers, such as Emaar Properties, Dubai Properties and Nakheel, and landmark projects like Downtown Dubai, Business Bay and the Palm Islands trilogy." Although supply of residential properties is greater than ever and 175,000 new units will be available by 2010, demand is set to outstrip this, with an estimated 181,000 units required by the end of the decade.The new report reveals that three-quarters of Dubai's planned projects for next decade will be in the property sector. The research, conducted by MEED in conjunction with external industry experts over a 2 year period, is based on data and business insight from a variety of sources, including prominent developers and their growth plans and government agencies. Angus Hindley, Research Editor at MEED, says: "Real estate has played and will continue to play a vital role in Dubai's growth. It is a lynchpin for the emirate's economy, fuelling the construction boom and attracting billions of dollars to Dubai." "However, the relative immaturity of the market has made it difficult for businesses and investors to gain accurate data on supply and demand trends. This report gets under the skin of the real estate sector, and addresses that information gap by providing a detailed assessment of the supply and demand outlook, taking into account each of the economic factors that will influence the real estate sector until the end of the decade and beyond", Hindley.
Francheska
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: My 2 cents: Aug 12, 2007
Francheska wrote:The value of projects either planned or under way in Dubai will total $310,000 million over the next decade, according to The Dubai Real Estate Report 2007 launched by the Middle East Economic Digest (MEED)."Of this, close to $230,000 million, equivalent to almost three-quarters of the total, is planned in the property sector", added the in-depth report which provides insight into supply and demand trends in the Emirate's booming property sector.Dubai's real estate and business services, said the report, have recorded average growth of 25 per cent a year, driven in large part by government-empowered developers, such as Emaar Properties, Dubai Properties and Nakheel, and landmark projects like Downtown Dubai, Business Bay and the Palm Islands trilogy." Although supply of residential properties is greater than ever and 175,000 new units will be available by 2010, demand is set to outstrip this, with an estimated 181,000 units required by the end of the decade.The new report reveals that three-quarters of Dubai's planned projects for next decade will be in the property sector. The research, conducted by MEED in conjunction with external industry experts over a 2 year period, is based on data and business insight from a variety of sources, including prominent developers and their growth plans and government agencies. Angus Hindley, Research Editor at MEED, says: "Real estate has played and will continue to play a vital role in Dubai's growth. It is a lynchpin for the emirate's economy, fuelling the construction boom and attracting billions of dollars to Dubai." "However, the relative immaturity of the market has made it difficult for businesses and investors to gain accurate data on supply and demand trends. This report gets under the skin of the real estate sector, and addresses that information gap by providing a detailed assessment of the supply and demand outlook, taking into account each of the economic factors that will influence the real estate sector until the end of the decade and beyond", Hindley.

I work a lot in the real estate sector and the number of units by 2010 has decreased from 270,000 to 170,000 in less than 6 months according to official reports. Either someone has no idea what's going on or the government is faking stories to restore investor confidence, either way it's worrying.

As for Dubai being the "centre of the world", the 6 GCC countries together (Saudi, Kuwait, UAE, Oman, Bahrain and Qatar) have a combined economy slightly bigger than that of the Netherlands at around the 15th biggest in the world. Given a huge chunk of that is Saudi Arabian cash, plus even the UAE money is mostly Abu Dhabi cash, I don't think the world is ready to roll over to Dubai quite yet...
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 13, 2007
If you look at the majority of projects in Dubai, you will see that while they are very impressive, fast and amazing, most of them are about constructions; achievements by companies are based “who builds what first!” There are no noticeable achievements “discoveries, investments, etc...” and I think you need more than towers and parks to be the center of the world. You need to have educated residents that enjoy comfort at their own levels, and that can not be achieved easily at Dubai. The city have to make since, and with all due respect, 78% of the residents of Dubai “based on the 2006 stats” come from one part of the world that is not diversity, that is cultural occupation!
TheUnReal-
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 13, 2007
by 2020, most of those amazing buildings we see and about to see at present would have been decayed and crumbled already
yujinn
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 16, 2007
yujinn wrote:by 2020, most of those amazing buildings we see and about to see at present would have been decayed and crumbled already

Oh Boy, You are very optimistic, r u expecting an earthquake?
uaebadoo
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 16, 2007
^ oh no, not at all! Who would expect for that?? I'm referring to the quality of the buildings being built here. That and the fact that Dubai is part of the desert, so...
yujinn
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Will Dubai be the Center of the World by 2020? Oct 04, 2007
$$Dubai wrote:As I look at all the truly amazing projects going on in Dubai I am truly impressed. There is no other place on earth with anything this incredible going on. Not even China. So I ask you: will Dubai be the Center of the World by 2020??

no.
RedLion
Dubai Forum User

Re: Will Dubai be the Center of the World by 2020? Oct 05, 2007

i thought the center of the world was toronto??????
as for dubai - NO WAY.
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Will Dubai be the Center of the World by 2020? Oct 21, 2007

Nope.
The reason most other places dont have huge scale construction is .... its old news to them?

To be a great city, you need somthing which separates you from the rest. Major European cities like London, Paris and Stockholm have incredible history with unique features.
NYC has skyscrapers...

Dubai needs something different to set them apart.

BY 2020 Dubai will be the Second City of the middle east. After Abu Dhabi - Who seems to be more creative.
rvp_legend
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 12, 2009
Dubai' cultural diversity makes it one of the centre of the world.
bhomes
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 11, 2009
ha, what goes up must come down indeed. while this may have been a valid theory back when it was posted, it has lost all substance as we speak in feb of 2009. dubai will continue to decline before it stablilizes, and i doubt it will hit the levels it was at from 2003- early 2008
DubaiInformationSite
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat