Why Is Everyone Called Mohammed?

Topic locked
Why Is Everyone Called Mohammed? Apr 24, 2011
Well the mystery continues about The Torso named Mohammed!
After turning Beth's head with tales of his pet tiger cubs, Mohammed had a hissy fit when he saw Beth and Antonia with Khalifa and Mohammed in Dubai Mall last night.,
Now khalifa and Mohammed live in AD and were just down for a couple of nights to meet up with Beth, friends from FB.
Mohammed (the Torso) had instructed Beth not to have anything to do with other boys named Mohammed or anything else for that matter. She took no notice, rightly so.
Khahlifa, Mohammed, Beth and Antonia went to the fun park thing in Dubai Mall. On entering they went past a group of local lads of which one was the Torso. Beth didn't see him but Mohammed saw her. He called out her name but she didn't hear him, Antonia did.
Whilst they were in the park they went to put their belongings into a locker. They are charged per piece that they are put in the locker. By the time they had discharged their bags, wallets, phones and other assorted memorabelia in the locker the bill came to aed70. Mohemmed had a quick word re him being a local and the bill was reduced to aed0 in a crack.
They girls returned to JBR in a taxi and Kalifa and Mohammed drove in their car. Beth is under strict instructions not to travel in any car that doesn't display a TAXI sign.
They met up for non alcoholic fruit juices on the Walk.
When Beth came home she checked her Blackbverry and Mohammed had called her a player. Beth was gutted and BM has spent all afternoon reassuring Beth that Mohammed is a tosser.
Beth and Antonia went down onto the Walk tonight and returned with Mohammed to introduce him to BM and the friends that BM had visiting.
Mohammed seemed a lovely lad, very polite and he shook BM firmly by the hand and said he would look after Beth.

Which bloody Mohammed was I introduced to?

Why is everyone called Mohammed?

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Why Is Everyone Called Mohammed? Apr 24, 2011
I witnessed a test many years ago on a crowded ferry crossing the Nile in Luxor.

A guy who worked for me stood in the middle of the throng and shouted "Mohammed?"

About 90% of the guys turned around to see who had called their name!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dubai Knight wrote:I witnessed a test many years ago on a crowded ferry crossing the Nile in Luxor.

A guy who worked for me stood in the middle of the throng and shouted "Mohammed?"

About 90% of the guys turned around to see who had called their name!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight

Abdullah and Mohammad are sometimes used to call people in public, so that was the reason they all looked around

In parts of UAE, you will see Haji used for such purposes.
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

BM, in my experience of the UAE, Mohammed is the commonest name, followed by Abdullah. Possibly the same in Saudi Arabia. Something to do with the religion, I think.
An acquaintance of mine working in Saudi Arabia at the time once related a story to me. He crossed an amber traffic signal, was stopped by the traffic police and put in jail. He found a European there too, possibly a Brit. They started talking. Seeing that my friend could speak some Arabic, the Brit requested him to ask the Police Officer what his crime was. Well, it turned out that while coming in the pick-up truck from his construction site, the Brit gave a lift to some laborers, all men, who sat in the back of his truck, which is illegal. According to the Saudi Law, he was told, only sheep (and cattle) and WOMEN can travel in the back of a pick-up truck! :?
zonker
BANNED

If I remember rightly Mohammed is the most popular boys name in the UK, over taking Jack.
Next year it's bound to be William and Kate for a girl. In 2013 it will be whatever their firstborn is called. That won't be Mohammed, nor Dodi nor James (Hewitt :D )
Bethsmum

Re: Why Is Everyone Called Mohammed? Apr 25, 2011
Bethsmum wrote:Well the mystery continues about The Torso named Mohammed!
After turning Beth's head with tales of his pet tiger cubs, Mohammed had a hissy fit when he saw Beth and Antonia with Khalifa and Mohammed in Dubai Mall last night.,
Now khalifa and Mohammed live in AD and were just down for a couple of nights to meet up with Beth, friends from FB.
Mohammed (the Torso) had instructed Beth not to have anything to do with other boys named Mohammed or anything else for that matter. She took no notice, rightly so.
Khahlifa, Mohammed, Beth and Antonia went to the fun park thing in Dubai Mall. On entering they went past a group of local lads of which one was the Torso. Beth didn't see him but Mohammed saw her. He called out her name but she didn't hear him, Antonia did.
Whilst they were in the park they went to put their belongings into a locker. They are charged per piece that they are put in the locker. By the time they had discharged their bags, wallets, phones and other assorted memorabelia in the locker the bill came to aed70. Mohemmed had a quick word re him being a local and the bill was reduced to aed0 in a crack.
They girls returned to JBR in a taxi and Kalifa and Mohammed drove in their car. Beth is under strict instructions not to travel in any car that doesn't display a TAXI sign.
They met up for non alcoholic fruit juices on the Walk.
When Beth came home she checked her Blackbverry and Mohammed had called her a player. Beth was gutted and BM has spent all afternoon reassuring Beth that Mohammed is a tosser.
Beth and Antonia went down onto the Walk tonight and returned with Mohammed to introduce him to BM and the friends that BM had visiting.
Mohammed seemed a lovely lad, very polite and he shook BM firmly by the hand and said he would look after Beth.

Which bloody Mohammed was I introduced to?

Why is everyone called Mohammed?

Where was this post earlier? I must’ve missed it!!! :D

Anyway…..

BM, I have actually read your post twice (slowly on the second time), and I am still confused!! :? :?

Who’s Mohammed? The Torso, Mohammed, Khalifa, the other Mohammed...?????

I felt like Costello in the Abbot and Costello Routine “Who’s On First??

:lol: :lol:
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

TJ if you're confused, imagine how BM feels :? I can't keep up with all these Mohammeds floating about!

I think we have it marrowed down to one Mohammed today, but it's early!

Beth is joined at the hip to her Blackberry and keeps relaying BBM's to me. My bloddy heads swimming, I thought I'd come to Dubai for R&R!

Anyways the Mohammed that is currying favour today has a magnificent torso. I've seen it on Facebook! I have to say 17yr olds never looked like that when I was 17 :shock: He BBm'd Beth today thay I was cute, like her. I think he has got that the wrong way round, surely? But hey! I'm not complaining, he can come again! (To the flat, that is!)
Bethsmum

Sounds like the potential for another shocking 7Days article.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:Sounds like the potential for another shocking 7Days article.

Wow... How nice!! Mrs. Kanelli is back...

Welcome back dear. We've been missed you a lot!!!

Tom

-- Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:29 pm --

Bethsmum wrote:TJ if you're confused, imagine how BM feels :? I can't keep up with all these Mohammeds floating about!

I think we have it marrowed down to one Mohammed today, but it's early!

Beth is joined at the hip to her Blackberry and keeps relaying BBM's to me. My bloddy heads swimming, I thought I'd come to Dubai for R&R!

Anyways the Mohammed that is currying favour today has a magnificent torso. I've seen it on Facebook! I have to say 17yr olds never looked like that when I was 17 :shock: He BBm'd Beth today thay I was cute, like her. I think he has got that the wrong way round, surely? But hey! I'm not complaining, he can come again! (To the flat, that is!)

Well ..I don’t know if that BB message by Mohammed No. 2 (is it?) is as delightful as you might think!!!!

Now he’ll put the word out that Beth’s mum is one red hot mama, and pretty soon there’ll be more Mohammeds coming around.

I think you’d better get yourself a big club to fight off all these Mohammeds away from you and Beth!!!

Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

I hear the familiar plaintiff whine of "...but MY Mohammed's different!"

Yeah.

Right.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Actually I couldn't agree more, sounds like BM's little youngun is playing with fire with these guys, it's only going to take her to do something small to really hack him off and you wait for all the accusations to start pouring out.

Be careful BM, very careful. And I mean that whole-heartedly.

FYI, many are called Mohammed after the Prophet (PBUH). Although on the flip side I've only ever met two guys called Jesus.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

TJ, I have told Beth to look out for rich old Great Uncle Mohammed aged around 90 with a heart condition. That'll do for BM! :D
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:TJ, I have told Beth to look out for rich old Great Uncle Mohammed aged around 90 with a heart condition. That'll do for BM! :D

LOL oh which you'd get nothing as under Sharia law, most inheritence goes to the government and sons. Wives get zip.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:

Actually I couldn't agree more, sounds like BM's little youngun is playing with fire with these guys, it's only going to take her to do something small to really hack him off and you wait for all the accusations to start pouring out.

Be careful BM, very careful. And I mean that whole-heartedly.

FYI, many are called Mohammed after the Prophet (PBUH). Although on the flip side I've only ever met two guys called Jesus.

Thanks for your advice Chocs. Don't worry about Beth, she has her Mother looking out for her.
Funnily enough Mohammed seems a very nice boy. You see you shouldn't judge all Emiratis by the stories you hear. That's like saying all us Brits are piss heads and can't control ourselves in foreign parts. :drunken:

-- Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:53 pm --

Welcome back K! I'm so pleased to see you've dragged yourself out of retirement to post in reply to me twice in one day. I feel honoured!
You may need to readjust your foe settings, they don't appear to be working!
Have a nice day :D

-- Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:54 pm --

Chocoholic wrote:
Bethsmum wrote:TJ, I have told Beth to look out for rich old Great Uncle Mohammed aged around 90 with a heart condition. That'll do for BM! :D

LOL oh which you'd get nothing as under Sharia law, most inheritence goes to the government and sons. Wives get zip.

See you haven't lost your sense of humour Chocs :D
Bethsmum

In all seriousness BM, watch Beth with these boys, the majority seem all nice on the outside, but give them any reason to turn nasty and they can - especially if they feel spurned. The last thing you want is for this guy to turn around and say she was leading him on etc etc, just tell her to walk away.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:In all seriousness BM, watch Beth with these boys, the majority seem all nice on the outside, but give them any reason to turn nasty and they can - especially if they feel spurned. The last thing you want is for this guy to turn around and say she was leading him on etc etc, just tell her to walk away.

As I said thanks for your advice Chocs.
So far so good. Mohammed seems like a nice boy and until he steps out of line, I will give him the benefit of the doubt. I quite like him. So far.
Bethsmum

Fair enough. Just to be clear, I'm not tarring all the with same brush, but talking from experience of a few nasties I've encountered over the years. But so long as you're on the case - all good. TBH I got confused as to which M'hod you were talking about :?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Bethsmum wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:In all seriousness BM, watch Beth with these boys, the majority seem all nice on the outside, but give them any reason to turn nasty and they can - especially if they feel spurned. The last thing you want is for this guy to turn around and say she was leading him on etc etc, just tell her to walk away.

As I said thanks for your advice Chocs.
So far so good. Mohammed seems like a nice boy and until he steps out of line, I will give him the benefit of the doubt. I quite like him. So far.

I think I agree with Chocs on this one. There are always exceptions, of course. But they must be rare.
zonker
BANNED

I know you are well meaning, guys, but let’s not tell parents how to raise their kids.

I’m sure BM is well aware of all these dangers in Dubai!! Aren’t you, dear!???

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Why Is Everyone Called Mohammed? Apr 26, 2011
Tom Jones wrote:I know you are well meaning, guys, but let’s not tell parents how to raise their kids.

8) 8)

Yes Tom, I am. I have to say my experiences with the locals have all been positive. Speak as you find, I say. I like them. They have their own way of going on, but it's their country.
Bethsmum

In Emirati culture the "good" girls that you marry don't date and are preferably Emirati or someone from another Arab Muslim group. I can guarantee you that none of these Mohammeds just have non-alcoholic juice and views of the marina on their minds when they go out to see two British girls who are only visiting on a short holiday. They want girls they can make out with, or even sleep with. Beth has already been called a player by one Mohammed when he felt spurned, and he already tried to control who she hangs out with.

Why don't the girls just have fun by the pool and beach, go shopping, go to the cinema etc. What's the purpose of the flirtation with local guys and evenings out? Nothing can come of anything with those guys, and I'm sure you aren't keen to have another Muslim son-in-law, right BM?

I'm piping up because I worry for Beth who is only 15 and really shouldn't be on holiday where the focus seems to be on dating boys.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:In Emirati culture the "good" girls that you marry don't date and are preferably Emirati or someone from another Arab Muslim group. I can guarantee you that none of these Mohammeds just have non-alcoholic juice and views of the marina on their minds when they go out to see two British girls who are only visiting on a short holiday. They want girls they can make out with, or even sleep with. Beth has already been called a player by one Mohammed when he felt spurned, and he already tried to control who she hangs out with.

Why don't the girls just have fun by the pool and beach, go shopping, go to the cinema etc. What's the purpose of the flirtation with local guys and evenings out? Nothing can come of anything with those guys, and I'm sure you aren't keen to have another Muslim son-in-law, right BM?

I'm piping up because I worry for Beth who is only 15 and really shouldn't be on holiday where the focus seems to be on dating boys.

It's called having fun Kanelli. I'm not in the market for another son in law, nor Beth a husband, She is 15. She is not dating, but hanging out with Mohammed and his friends. Contrary to what you seem th think of all the local boys, she assures me they are fine and no-one tries or even says anything dodgy. I trust my daughter 100%, she's a lovely girl and I don't expect her to let me down.
Bethsmum

But teenagers will be teenagers, what she's telling you and what they're actually doing could be two completely different things - hormones raging and all that. And she met these guys on Face Book? Come on BM, sorry but you're being a tad naive about the whole thing.

Boys - of any nationality and cultural background are really only looking for one thing at that age - the fact that they're driving means they're a bit older too.

I would seriously be very very careful.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

As I have said previously thank you for your advice Chocs.

I understand you don't have any kids Chocs. Please excuse me if I've got that wrong. I'm afraid you don't give them much credit do you? I think you may find there is a bit more to teenagers these days than just s.ex.

yes, she did meet them via FB. I, too, have met some very good friends via the internet. A couple here on DF actually.

Mohammed and his assorted friends are a little bit older, Mohammed is 17 and he drives. Not a huge age gap as Beth is nearly 16.

I know my daughter and I know that so far, I haven't ever caught her lying. Until I do, she gets the benefit of the doubt. I have been through the kid thing 3 times now, I hardly think i am naive with all the stuff I've been through.

But once again thanks for the advice.
Bethsmum

And the old 'you don't have kids so you don't know what you're talking about' line comes up. That maybe true, but I have worked in schools and done various projects with youngsters over the years. I'm surprised as I never come across any parent so far who has said 'I truest my child 100%' most don't trust them as far as they could throw them. Plus you know I have also been a teenager and an extremely unruly one at that.

I hope these boys are you worth you giving them the benefit of the doubt BM, just don't let Beth be with them ALONE anywhere. Sure we all meet people on the net etc etc, but I'd question the motives of guys befriending girls who're just going on holiday somewhere, there should always be that little nagging voice of doubt in the back of your mind, that's what keeps people out of trouble.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

I never said you didn't know what you are talking about, In fact I thanked you for your advice.
I do trust Beth 100%. She's a lovely girl.
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:I never said you didn't know what you are talking about, In fact I thanked you for your advice.
I do trust Beth 100%. She's a lovely girl.

Well it's nice that you have such a great relationship with your daughter. Just sad that teenage boys, well all men in general tend to think with their 'small' brains lol
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:
Well it's nice that you have such a great relationship with your daughter. Just sad that teenage boys, well all men in general tend to think with their 'small' brains lol

Surely you mean their 'Little Heads' don't you Chocs?

Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Tom Jones wrote:I know you are well meaning, guys, but let’s not tell parents how to raise their kids.

8) 8)

Sadly TJ, in this place some parents absolutely do need to be told how to raise their kids and especially how to discipline them - the behaviour of many here is just appalling. Oh right so the next time I see a guy smacking his son about the face - and HARD, I'll just walk on by shall I? Not on your life!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

just a question, BM, do u know if Muhammed's parents are aware? I don't see these boys are mean from what u said so far, but its good that u r in the scene and congratulations for the relation u have with B...
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat