Whats The Point Of Giving Up Smoking When......

Topic locked
Whats the point of giving up smoking when...... Nov 29, 2006
Anti-smoking guru Allen Carr has died of lung cancer at the age of 72.

Mr Carr was diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer in the summer. He was a heavy smoker with a 100-a-day habit before giving up over 20 years ago and making a name for himself helping others do the same.

But friends say that the years he spent curing smokers in smoke-filled sessions at his clinics must have contributed to the illness.

Mr Carr once said: "Given that I am informed that I have cured at least 10 million smokers on a conservative estimation, even if that is the case, it's a price worth paying."

He also said: "Since I smoked my final cigarette, 23 years ago, I have been the happiest man in the world. I still feel the same way today."

A spokesman said when the diagnosis was made: "He is certain that had he not quit, he would have been dead 20 years ago."

Mr Carr died at his home near Malaga in Spain and his family were with him, a spokeswoman said.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/29112006/356/a ... ancer.html

yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 29, 2006
Bloody hell! 72!!!! 100 smokes a day!!!!
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 29, 2006
:shock: :shock: :shock:

How can you smoke that much in one day?
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 29, 2006
bushra21 wrote::shock: :shock: :shock:

How can you post this much in one day?
^ian^

Nov 29, 2006
:lol: :lol: :lol: ^^^
valkyrie
Dubai chat master

Nov 29, 2006
^ian^ wrote:

Why, want some tips?

And Ian, I believe we went over this already mate.

:lol:
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 29, 2006
bushra21 wrote:
^ian^ wrote:

Why, want some tips?

When your best friend is Dr. D, you don't need tips, but thanks anyway.

And Ian, I believe we went over this already mate.
:lol:

We did?
^ian^

Nov 29, 2006
Didn't we?
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 29, 2006
bushra21 wrote:Didn't we?

Ok, so instead of hitting reply all the time, have a cigarette, and then you'll know the answer to your question.
^ian^

Nov 29, 2006
^ian^ wrote:

Ok, so instead of hitting reply all the time, have a cigarette, and then you'll know the answer to your question.

Is that what you do?
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 29, 2006
bushra21 wrote:
^ian^ wrote:

Is that what you do?

I don't smoke 30 cigarettes a day.
^ian^

Nov 29, 2006
^ian^ wrote:
bushra21 wrote:
^ian^ wrote:

Is that what you do?

me either...

dont worry Ian, I will be gone for a bit soon, so you can catch up
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 29, 2006
bushra21 wrote:
^ian^ wrote:
bushra21 wrote:
^ian^ wrote:

Is that what you do?

me either...

dont worry Ian, I will be gone for a bit soon, so you can catch up

What makes you think I need to catch up when I'm already ahead?

you think this is my only account?

Think about it... when Spider-man is around, Peter Parker is never to be found.
^ian^

Nov 29, 2006
^ian^ wrote:Bloody hell! 72!!!! 100 smokes a day!!!!

I don't think he was a real smoker, I mean 100 per day would have killed u by the age of 30 !!
I guess he used to just blow the smoke that's all !! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Palkid7
Dubai chat master

Nov 29, 2006
I think for the body to completely recover, then you need to quit by the time you are 35 - then it will take 20 years (or something) for the body to recover. After that, the body will never fully recover.

Certainly here in Europe, smoking is becoming more and more anti-social. It has already been banned in public places in Ireland and Scotland, with England due to join that list by April 2007. Even the French (Europes key smokers) are going to ban it in public places! Whatever next!! Dubai maybe??
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 29, 2006
the_zooter wrote:I think for the body to completely recover, then you need to quit by the time you are 35 - then it will take 20 years (or something) for the body to recover. After that, the body will never fully recover.

Certainly here in Europe, smoking is becoming more and more anti-social. It has already been banned in public places in Ireland and Scotland, with England due to join that list by April 2007. Even the French (Europes key smokers) are going to ban it in public places! Whatever next!! Dubai maybe??

I think they are already working on that...I remember reading about a Smoke City being in the works...the only place people will be allowed to smoke in Dubai
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 29, 2006
bushra21 wrote:
the_zooter wrote:I think for the body to completely recover, then you need to quit by the time you are 35 - then it will take 20 years (or something) for the body to recover. After that, the body will never fully recover.

I think they are already working on that...I remember reading about a Smoke City being in the works...the only place people will be allowed to smoke in Dubai

That would be great, and a great place to stay away from :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 29, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
bushra21 wrote:

That would be great, and a great place to stay away from :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Agreed!!!
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 29, 2006
DON'T GIVE UP SMOKING. END OF STORY. PERIOD. :evil:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 29, 2006
bushra21 wrote:I think they are already working on that...I remember reading about a Smoke City being in the works...the only place people will be allowed to smoke in Dubai

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is the funniest most outlandish concept ever to be launched in Dubai
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 29, 2006
Bushra you have a very good sense of humour. Did you hear that they are also setting up Bondage city with s.ex shops and S&M parlours
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 29, 2006
scarlet wrote:Bushra you have a very good sense of humour. Did you hear that they are also setting up Bondage city with s.ex shops and S&M parlours

Whereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 29, 2006
Ah so you see. Even though he gave up smoking, it was the passive smoking that killed him. See you smokers all need to keep your filthy habit away from public places and those of us who can't stand to breathe in your fumes.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 29, 2006
scarlet wrote:Bushra you have a very good sense of humour. Did you hear that they are also setting up Bondage city with s.ex shops and S&M parlours

I wasnt joking. I read it...dont remember when they will start the project though.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 30, 2006
Its not the matter that how much one can smoke or not. Also I dont believe that one will die only because he or she is smoking. That is why I am also smoking. about 15 cig a day. But it is not good to smoke. Not because one will die but coz it is not good habbit and people dont like it and also it create other odds to life.
abdalrasheed
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 30, 2006
I love smoking. It's going to be hard to give up, but I feel I should one day.

I have cut back on both strength and number over the years though.

I have a headache today.
^ian^

Nov 30, 2006
Smoking is so archaic. It will be a thing of the past in the coming decade or so. (Hopefully!)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Nov 30, 2006
kanelli wrote:Smoking is so archaic. It will be a thing of the past in the coming decade or so. (Hopefully!)

And the silver lining? People complaining about smoking will be a thing of the past too.

"Hey, remember when we used to complain about smokers?"
"Yeah, those guys were a bunch of asshats"
"Hey checkout that obese guy!"
"Yuck! Hope he doesn't sit near me, they should have fat people areas!!!"
^ian^

Nov 30, 2006
Oh, we're back on that again are we... Just because people stop complaining about smoking doesn't mean they will complain about obese people. Someone stuffing their face with food doesn't make everyone else around them fat. Smoking pollutes everyone's lungs and it smells like shit. I think I'd move on to complain about people who wear too much cologne or perfume - that pollutes everyone's lungs and smells like shit too. :lol:

But in any case, wouldn't it be great if one day being fit and healthy was cool instead of the complete opposite? There is a novel concept. :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat