What's Up With The New Speed Cameras On SZR

Topic locked
What's up with the new speed cameras on SZR Nov 04, 2008
In the last few days a bunch of new speed cameras have been installed along Shaikh Zayed Rd, all the way down to the Abu Dhabi border.

Anyone know any more info on them? Is it still speed-business-as-usual, ie 140ks in the 120 zone and you're 'safe'? Also, someone at work said that they don't flash in the daytime like the older ones do. That's bad news because you won't know you've been done for a while.

What's going on? Are they all over Dubai as well?

Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Nov 04, 2008
Well Captain

I think it's still 140 because everyone is still driving at 140.. 8)

and they do flash your friend a work knows nothing .. :wink:
pete t
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 04, 2008
Normally, a camera doesn't "flash" during day time because of the light :)
farthestpoint
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 04, 2008
cameras do flash in the daytime because flash is needed as a means to stop blur on moving objects.

Captain, you are right the new style speed camera's do not flash. We have them in the UK, they are fairly new technology. Ours are used on Motorways for "speed check areas". This means they place 2 or 3 along a given stretch of road and picture you in and out of the gateways, thus taking an average speed check between the camera's.

You cant beat them or know they are there because they dont flash, they use infra red i think.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 04, 2008
arniegang wrote:cameras do flash in the daytime because flash is needed as a means to stop blur on moving objects.

Captain, you are right the new style speed camera's do not flash. We have them in the UK, they are fairly new technology. Ours are used on Motorways for "speed check areas". This means they place 2 or 3 along a given stretch of road and picture you in and out of the gateways, thus taking an average speed check between the camera's.

You cant beat them or know they are there because they dont flash, they use infra red i think.

Gaaa! Those infernal inventors have come up with new technology...Infra red means they cannot be detected by the normal radar detectors. If we chrome plate all the cars, the light would just bounce off like a mirror!

I think the 'unofficial' limits are 130 from the section after Ibn Battuta, 140 after Jebel Ali to the border at Ghantoot, then its 160 all the way to Abu Dhabi. Now we won't be able to check, because no-one is going to get flashed. Damn.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Nov 04, 2008
I thought it just meant they would not flash in the day, but still at night. Are you saying that they wont flash at all? Oh No!

What I was really worried about was if the new cameras were set to 10ks over or something stupid. I'm sure it is 20Ks, but I'd like to be sure, by seeing it flash on someone else, but now I can't. Dammit.

Still, I've been here 6 months without getting caught (I think). Ask pete t how many times he's been done. :wink:

:iroc:
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Nov 04, 2008
Captain Australia wrote:I thought it just meant they would not flash in the day, but still at night. Are you saying that they wont flash at all? Oh No!

What I was really worried about was if the new cameras were set to 10ks over or something stupid. I'm sure it is 20Ks, but I'd like to be sure, by seeing it flash on someone else, but now I can't. Dammit.

Still, I've been here 6 months without getting caught (I think). Ask pete t how many times he's been done. :wink:

i'm sorry to report they do not flash at all :shock:
arniegang

Nov 04, 2008
DK

i can confirm that i do indeed have a radar detector in the arniemobile and they dont pick up infra red. The current models even in the UK only detect laser from fixed or mobile camera units.

Luckily, here they put up warning signs saying "speed check area" so we are prepared in looking for them, then we just set cruise control to the set speed limit until we pass the last camera

:?
arniegang

Nov 05, 2008
As far as I know the new double sided radar doesn't flash in the day neither in the night. it is equipped with laser technology and can capture moving objects without flashing. I work in Dubai Media City and live in deira so I use sheikh zayed road everyday till media city, New radar installed near Metropolitan captures at 130.

There will be 50 new smart radars on sheikh zayed road soon.

Gulf News Source:

I can not post the link because of not having sufficient posts but you can search gulfnews for the article number

10245335.html
deepeyes14
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Nov 05, 2008
Ah well, no flashing disco lights for me on the Sheikh Zayed Road next time I am late for a meeting in Abu Dhabi!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Nov 05, 2008
Captain Australia wrote:Still, I've been here 6 months without getting caught (I think). Ask pete t how many times he's been done. :wink:

yeah but you drive like a granny on a sunday tea leaf run :sleepy1:

there 4 lanes You HAVE to drive just below the limit . . :headbang:
and sometime you go alittle over :oops:
pete t
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 05, 2008
new ones you refer to at that stretch on SZR flash, but if you drove through them too fast on the day they were erected i would guess they weren't activated yet
funkygibbon
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 05, 2008
Craig with all that,.. I'm alittle lost this is a forum keep it short and sweet
the more you type it doesn't make you look smarter OK :wink:

Do the new camera's flash ? in the UK or Here in Dubai ?

This model of speed camera has been in Dubai few months now..
So has anyone seen a flash from the new cameras ?
I Have Not. day or night.

I personally don't see the point of thinking they are not working yet ...
will you drive at 162 untill you have 50 speeding fines heading your way ?

i KNOW the old cameras were set to 160 on the road to Abu Dhabi
But that tripod one was set to 140,.. THAT was the tricky one because you never knew where it was ... :cussing:
pete t
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 05, 2008
Wow, no offense intended, but you have a long-winded way of writing there craig. Thanks for the info though.

To sum up, or in internet speak TL;DR (too long, didn't read)

They do flash.
They are probably not operational yet.
They are not the "distance/average' ones, just plain old speed cameras.
Not sure if they flash in the daytime.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Nov 05, 2008
my apologies, i went off on one because of the pish opinions that people blurt out online as fact

in laymans terms...

of course you'd advise everyone to stay in the speed limits, but if people are concerned they've been caught speeding by the new ones on that part of SZR, it may be of comfort to realise the chances are the cameras are not operational yet

i have seen the new cameras in dubai flash people

the new cameras are not the same as the average speed cameras in the UK

to suggest they are average speed cameras is misleading

i think arnie is a monkey
funkygibbon
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 05, 2008
funkygibbon wrote:
i think arnie is a monkey

Excellent, :violent3:

now we have real value on the subject :lol:
pete t
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 05, 2008
the new speed cameras are dotted all over Dubai, including Business Bay Bridge and SZR. the one on Business Bay stands in isolation, as does the one on SZR near Safa Interchange. So the claim that they are average speed cameras appears ill-judged, since they can't monitor your speed over a set distance if they stand alone, but again, i'll just state the facts, rather than lodge an unqualified argument

Maybe you should read posts more carefully, then you would not get your facts incorrect.

I merely pointed out that in the UK we have camera's that DO NOT flash, and these happen to be "average check camera's". I dont recall saying the dubai ones were average speed check camera's.

The new technology is being rolled out across the UK as and when they replace the current "gatso's"

Also our camera parnerships in the UK are trialling new hand held mobile speed guns that also work at night without a flash.

This threads subject was initially asking if speed cameras exist that do not flash.

The answer is quite simply, YES.
arniegang

Nov 05, 2008
see here

http://www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk/index1.htm

Popularity On UK Roads : 2/10

How to Protect Yourself : GPS Speed Camera Detection System only.

How They Work : A forward facing camera, designed to take photographs of the front of a passing vehicle, allowing the picture taken to show the driver of the vehicle as well to aid prosecution.

Sensors in the road calculate the speed and the Infra red camera captures the car registration number and driver picture without a flash. This system offers evidence as to the identity of the driver at the time of the offence.
No flash it ommitted as the system uses Infra Red Light.

Popularity On UK Roads : 2/10

How to Protect Yourself : GPS Speed Camera Detection System

How They Work : Also known as Speed Violation Detection Deterrent (SVDD), the SPECS system uses high surveylance video that time you from point to point.

These are designed to prevent motorists from braking at the GATSO camera and speeding up later as they calculate your average speed between points, upto a mile.

Limitations : Easy to Spot and thats about it. The data is stored digitally on a central computer, so that there is no need for film to be collected and changed at the cameras site.

I think this covers the subject adequately

:lol:
arniegang

Nov 05, 2008
with the greatest of respect, the people reading your threads will have minimal interest in speed cameras in the UK

this discussion is quite blatantly with reference to 'the new speed cameras on SZR' as are the implications you actively made on the subject

stop being silly
funkygibbon
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 05, 2008
Lets end this now.

I have just called my mate (lets refer to him as Al Knacker of The Yard) who is in the official 'know'.

The older cameras still flash. These are either big tall vertical square boxes or smaller square boxes with 2 lenses one above the other. They use good old fashioned X or K band radar.

There are some new, smaller box type radar units on some of the minor roads, which are painted white, instead of grey and still have the twin vertical lens configuration. These are newer technology, but they still flash.

There are one or two prototype units on test. These look like little square dustbins, are painted cream and only have a single hole in the front. Inside are 2 rangefinder lenses and they do flash but you cannot see it! They operate on doppler infra red principle and will record your speed day or night as well as taking an infra red digital image of your number plate.

The latest and greatest units everyone is talking about are the German built units that look like a big stripey shiny pole. These are the mutts nuts when it comes to relieving you and I of our hard earned cash and sticking little black marks on your license! They use the infra-red technology and also feature a panning head unit! Bloody sneaky! You can slow down before the camera, then speed up afterwards...and it'll have you up the *rse! THEY DO NOT FLASH!

The portable roadside units are still circa 1850 and use a camera where the guy hides under a big black cloth and pulls the cover off the shutter. But they can still have you!

We're all dooomed!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Nov 05, 2008
thank you for adding some more information to this topic

whilst i acknowledge the conviction you display with your capitals and the unwavering trust you afford your specifically educated friend, i can assure you they do flash, i have a 700 dhs fine in the wake of it flashing me on SZR near Safa
funkygibbon
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 05, 2008
funkygibbon wrote:thank you for adding some more information to this topic

whilst i acknowledge the conviction you display with your capitals and the unwavering trust you afford your specifically educated friend, i can assure you they do flash, i have a 700 dhs fine in the wake of it flashing me on SZR near Safa

Then you were importunately adversely imprinted upon the digital retina of the constabulary computer system and thereby had thine wallet relieved of its wood pulp based monetary units by what would most commonly be described in the vernacular and local parlance of the types hereabout as...

an effin' old one! The new ones are not installed on Sheikh Zayed Road yet...only on Al Khail Road.
Endex!

:x :x :x

Knight
Dubai Knight

Nov 05, 2008
if we were in person i'd raise my right index finger to your nose and say "smell yer maw"

the one that stands on its own on SZR near safa (which is the same as the new ones on the stretch near ghantoot) has been there for a month or so, and it flashes
funkygibbon
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 05, 2008
funkygibbon wrote:if we were in person i'd raise my right index finger to your nose and say "smell yer maw"

the one that stands on its own on SZR near safa (which is the same as the new ones on the stretch near ghantoot) has been there for a month or so, and it flashes

With right middle finger firmly held vertical I would respond in equal verbosity that you were still caught by the old type radar cameras. The new ones are very distinctive in that they are a tall, thin round pole in silver and blue stripes. These are not yet installed on SZR. Official.

I know the one you mean and it is in an oval casing on a thin stand pole. Its the old type, just in a new case.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Nov 05, 2008
glad you can clear that up - i didn't know about that

but its that kind that we're talking about and they are on SZR where i was flashed, and where the new ones have been erected on the section going towards Abu Dhabi

so to confirm, we're talking about those
funkygibbon
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 05, 2008
great :D you guys are talking about radars 8)
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Nov 05, 2008
funkygibbon wrote:glad you can clear that up - i didn't know about that

but its that kind that we're talking about and they are on SZR where i was flashed, and where the new ones have been erected on the section going towards Abu Dhabi

so to confirm, we're talking about those

Yes, these are all the same. They are radar based and flash.

The new new ones are experimental and are being tested and evaluated by the Feds on the Al Khail Road only at the moment. If they prove their ability and reliability, expect to see them sprouting up all over the place sometime soon.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Nov 05, 2008
Dubai Knight wrote:
funkygibbon wrote:if we were in person i'd raise my right index finger to your nose and say "smell yer maw"

With right middle finger firmly held vertical I would respond in equal verbosity that you were still caught by the old type radar cameras. The new ones are very distinctive in that they are a tall, thin round pole in silver and blue stripes. These are not yet installed on SZR. Official.

I know the one you mean and it is in an oval casing on a thin stand pole. Its the old type, just in a new case.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Knight

I think they are now installed and working on the Emirates road. And like DK quite rightly points out they DO NOT FLASH.
arniegang

Nov 06, 2008
does anyone know where to find speed camera gps updates for dubai? for garmin etc...

As for these new double sided cameras theres plenty of them on emirates road now aswell.
Waqsy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 06, 2008
Waqsy wrote:does anyone know where to find speed camera gps updates for dubai? for garmin etc...

As for these new double sided cameras theres plenty of them on emirates road now aswell.

They are rolling them out steadily. As for updates, I prefer to use the older hardware and software called E.Y.E.S.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat