What Is It With Dubai Attracting Stupid People?

Topic locked
What is it with Dubai attracting stupid people? Jul 01, 2009
I return my faulty sunglasses and am told the warranty doesn't cover the hinge. Ok, please show me the warranty. We don't have one. What do you mean? The warranty only covers the lens. Show me where it says that. We don't have it. Confers with colleague. It'll take 3 months. 3 months? So now it has a warranty but it will take 3 months? It is sent back to Italy sir. Ok so a week back to Italy, 10 days ample time to repair and a week back to Dubai. How does that take 3 months? Your manager please, I'm done with this nonsense.

I go to Carrefour and am looking at a mobile phone for my mother. They're all open on display and I ask them to turn it on. We don't have the batteries. So you don't have it to turn it on or you're selling the phone without a battery. Yes sir we don't have the batteries (without looking embarassed at all). So where have all the batteries gone? I'd bet Nokia provided them when they arrived here. Looks at me looking numb. Ok ...Bye.

I pass by one of those small booth stalls selling fragrances in the malls. I ask for Armani Mania and the guy places Ferrari on the counter. I look at him as if to say 'errr and what is this? He looks at me like I don't get it. I asked for Armani Mania and that is Ferrari. Yes sir we don't have that one.
AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

I go to Papa John's to get Pizza. A past experience taught me to request the that the pizza be as advertised (with lots of topping) as last time it had very little. The lovely lady at the counter spoke with the chef who nodded. Some time later I collect my pizza only to return it as it had one piece of topping on each slice where I have to show them the pizza compared to the one on the poster making me look like an asshole infront of other customers.

I could go on, this sadly was all in one day!

Ruggedblond
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 02, 2009
Dude Relax, It's Life. None of the afore mentioned mishaps are really unusual. Deal with it, lest this place drives you crazy first.
Eventually you'll learn where to shop and where not to.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 02, 2009
Man what a bad day!!

I am surprised that you did not go ballistic or postal and kill those idiots. I find this type of pathetic service happens here the most.
Guardasil
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jul 02, 2009
Increase your patience level.... You will have to meet more
Anosh
Dubai Forums Talker

Jul 02, 2009
I am surprised at many of your comments here?

I think the point is here is why should we just expect and accept bad customer service here! I have found that Dubai takes bad customer service to whole new level.
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 02, 2009
I don t know how long who live in Dubai, but what do you expect from low paid staff, untrained, unmotivated. Shopping you should do in your own country what most people do.
a) for lower price
b) latest models
c) better service
d) better warranty
of course it depends what is your home country.
macjul
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 02, 2009
macjul wrote:I don t know how long who live in Dubai, but what do you expect from low paid staff, untrained, unmotivated. Shopping you should do in your own country what most people do.
a) for lower price
b) latest models
c) better service
d) better warranty
of course it depends what is your home country.

I have been in Dubai for many years - and you miss the point.

Whilst I sympathise with low pay and agree this is a major contributor to the problem it still does not mean that it should be tolerated and accepted.

Its not that easy to avoid - as per your recommendation: shall I go back to my home country to do my weekly food shopping???
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 02, 2009
What's wrong with your weekly food shopping? Did you get stale food somewhere?

As far as Rugged Blond is concerned why fight with the Carrefour salesman? The decision not to have batteries in testers, was made by the higher ups , you have a problem take it up with them. Or go elsewhere for ur mobile shopping.

If a shop does not have Armani try elsewhere. Would you rather the salesman be curt and say he doesn't have it? Salespersons too have to do their jobs you know, i.e market what they have.
The sunglasses incident was ridiculous. Rugged Blond do us a favor and name the shop, none of us ever going there.

Granted certain services leave a lot to be desired, but that's what you get for building a city overnight. It's easier and faster to build malls then it is to create efficient service professionals(like taxi drivers).
So relax, give it time, figure out which places are best suited for ur needs and stick to it.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 02, 2009
[quote="
As far as Rugged Blond is concerned why fight with the Carrefour salesman? The decision not to have batteries in testers, was made by the higher ups , you have a problem take it up with them. Or go elsewhere for ur mobile shopping.

If a shop does not have Armani try elsewhere. Would you rather the salesman be curt and say he doesn't have it? Salespersons too have to do their jobs you know, i.e market what they have.
The sunglasses incident was ridiculous. Rugged Blond do us a favor and name the shop, none of us ever going there.

Granted certain services leave a lot to be desired, but that's what you get for building a city overnight. [/quote]

With respect you're putting words in my mouth like 'why fight the salesman'. I understand they are only messengers but they are poor ones at that which is a major part of the problem as I couldn't get a coherant answer to the question about the battery which is why I queried further. I further asked if the phone came with batteries if I bought it and they said no the phones don't have batteries. This simple question was either lost in translation or they remove the batteries ...both are frustrating to accept.

Regarding the cologne: Yes I'd rather the salesman was not curt as you put it but was honest to say 'I'm sorry we do not have' rather than hand me a random cologne which smells nothing like the one I requested and Further more it wasn't the tester for me to at least smell if it was?!

If dedicated service professionals in Dubai comes in the form of taxi drivers then 'Houston, we have a problem'!

Gr*nd *ptics Sahara Centre for wriggling out of warranty.
Ruggedblond
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 02, 2009
Ordered to glasses of lemonade today at a resort. Was given two bottles of 7 UP. Asked again for lemonade and was told that what he was serving me was lemonade. I pointed out that it said "7 UP" and was told that when customers asked for lemonade they really meant 7 UP. Ordered 2 glasses of iced tea. I know I have been here too long when things like that no longer bother me!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Jul 03, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:Ordered to glasses of lemonade today at a resort. Was given two bottles of 7 UP. Asked again for lemonade and was told that what he was serving me was lemonade. I pointed out that it said "7 UP" and was told that when customers asked for lemonade they really meant 7 UP. Ordered 2 glasses of iced tea. I know I have been here too long when things like that no longer bother me!

Forgive me ignorance but isn't '7 UP' lemonade? Not sure what you encountered is quite the same thing but I no doubt will be corrected in time!
Ruggedblond
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 03, 2009
Ruggedblond wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:Ordered to glasses of lemonade today at a resort. Was given two bottles of 7 UP. Asked again for lemonade and was told that what he was serving me was lemonade. I pointed out that it said "7 UP" and was told that when customers asked for lemonade they really meant 7 UP. Ordered 2 glasses of iced tea. I know I have been here too long when things like that no longer bother me!

Forgive me ignorance but isn't '7 UP' lemonade? Not sure what you encountered is quite the same thing but I no doubt will be corrected in time!

7-UP is NOT lemonade in western society ;)
7-UP is a refreshing drink at max (with bubbles :lol:)

This is LEMONade: Fresh water with a very low amount of heavy syrup (concentrated)

But, we have other flavours too for LEMONADE: like strawberry or orange

RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jul 03, 2009
Ruggedblond wrote:

You need to get out more. Big difference between the two.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Jul 03, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
Ruggedblond wrote:

You need to get out more. Big difference between the two.

Even better: put them waiters and waitresses on a course "How to identify and fulfill Western tourist demands"....all in the name of consumer confidence and more revenue.

;)
RobbyG

Jul 03, 2009
I am not Western. but I know very well that 7 UP and Lemonade are 2 different drinks, the only similarity being that they both have sugar....

So its not a matter of Western preferences, its about basic common sense which some of the service staff here don't have....
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 03, 2009
A common blunder most eateries make is when they display lemonade on the menu, but are actually serving limade or lime water!

You summon the waiter only to find he's not aware of the difference between lime and lemon. A friend of mine once had this issue, and the waiter actually tells her that lemon is plural of lime!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 04, 2009
What a retard!!!!!!!!!!!
Lime and lemon...!

Someone has to teach these people the difference.
Guardasil
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: What is it with Dubai attracting stupid people? Jul 04, 2009
I would go like surrendering in this day,,

But u know wat wen i read them i thought that its wat u experienced in couple of weeks but not in ONE DAY!!

However,, think as the following that u have learned about 3 thngs in one day that ppl may not learn them n months.
silent
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: What is it with Dubai attracting stupid people? Jul 04, 2009
[quote="Ruggedblond"]I return my faulty sunglasses and am told the warranty doesn't cover the hinge. Ok, please show me the warranty. We don't have one. What do you mean? The warranty only covers the lens. Show me where it says that. We don't have it. Confers with colleague. It'll take 3 months. 3 months? So now it has a warranty but it will take 3 months? It is sent back to Italy sir. Ok so a week back to Italy, 10 days ample time to repair and a week back to Dubai. How does that take 3 months? Your manager please, I'm done with this nonsense.

I go to Carrefour and am looking at a mobile phone for my mother. They're all open on display and I ask them to turn it on. We don't have the batteries. So you don't have it to turn it on or you're selling the phone without a battery. Yes sir we don't have the batteries (without looking embarassed at all). So where have all the batteries gone? I'd bet Nokia provided them when they arrived here. Looks at me looking numb. Ok ...Bye.

I pass by one of those small booth stalls selling fragrances in the malls. I ask for Armani Mania and the guy places Ferrari on the counter. I look at him as if to say 'errr and what is this? He looks at me like I don't get it. I asked for Armani Mania and that is Ferrari. Yes sir we don't have that one.
AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

I replied u but coz im new here so the msg went on the wall
U got it?
silent
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 04, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:A common blunder most eateries make is when they display lemonade on the menu, but are actually serving limade or lime water!

You summon the waiter only to find he's not aware of the difference between lime and lemon. A friend of mine once had this issue, and the waiter actually tells her that lemon is plural of lime!

Thats funny english lesson:)
silent
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 04, 2009
Customer service is generally appauling here. My theory is there is general high turnover of staff meaning a lack of experience and product knowledge.

Add in the fact that most employees are scared of their manager/boss they would rather just loose the sale or annoy the customer rather than risk being shouted at for not knowing something and ask their manager about it.
FTD
Dubai Forums Talker

Jul 04, 2009
FTD wrote:Customer service is generally appauling here. My theory is there is general high turnover of staff meaning a lack of experience and product knowledge.

Add in the fact that most employees are scared of their manager/boss they would rather just loose the sale or annoy the customer rather than risk being shouted at for not knowing something and ask their manager about it.

true in some cases but stil if a compnay really focus on customer complains and suggestions so then he/she will b trapped
silent
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 04, 2009
FTD wrote:Customer service is generally appauling here. My theory is there is general high turnover of staff meaning a lack of experience and product knowledge.

I wouldn't usually expect staff in Carrefour to be able to point out their own rear end even if it was on sale (err...that came out wrong).

I shop a lot in Jackys, Sharaf DG, etc for electronics and generally find if I get two or three staff involved, between them they can answer all the questions I fire at them about cameras, phones, pc's, etc.

Also the high end hifi stores on SZR usually know all about the products they carry. Same with the high end electronic store beside Sharaf DG on the upper level of Times Square mall on SZR.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 04, 2009
There are two thoughts to the customer service here.

One is that the training they receive is inadequate. The responses they give are probably the ones that they learned during the training sessions. You have to keep in mind who was training them! Example: driving instructor telling the student to go ahead of the cue and just cut in.

Second is that most sales people really don't want to do the work. Looking like a deer caught in the headlights is common. The "duh" look. The response of the customer would more than likely be to walk away and find someone else.

What I like is when there are five or six persons standing around, you approach them, wait for someone to react and ask if you need help, but in most cases you realize that you have become "invisible". You're not really there!!! Given enough time you may walk away. On the other hand, you may do what I do as ask: "Excuse me, am I invisible?" or "Are you all on a break? or are you working?" Once you have their attention you ask a question and they all have to confer for an answer, which is usually wrong!! Ask three sales people where a product is and generally you will be pointed in three different directions.

But I must say, I have encountered some really, really helpful sales people who will actually walk you to the section you need and stay to assist. And if they don't have an answer, they will try to get one. It is those sales people that make my day when shopping.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Jul 04, 2009
Speedhump wrote:I shop a lot in Jackys, Sharaf DG

My Sharaf DG (and Carre Four too but I've given up in there) experience goes like this - walk round 4 or 5 aisles looking for something. Ask a worker and after 30 seconds, "No, we don't have them sir" Decide to keep looking and eventually find what I was after.

Granted they may be able to tell me about some huge TV but useless if you are after a laptop power supply or something.
FTD
Dubai Forums Talker

Jul 04, 2009
FTD wrote:

My Sharaf DG (and Carre Four too but I've given up in there) experience goes like this - walk round 4 or 5 aisles looking for something. Ask a worker and after 30 seconds, "No, we don't have them sir" Decide to keep looking and eventually find what I was after.

Granted they may be able to tell me about some huge TV but useless if you are after a laptop power supply or something.

:D

Fair enough! I admit I do my research before I go looking for spare parts, etc, go in armed with part number, etc etc. and try to go straight to the assistant manager's office if I get a blank look on the shop floor. The managers are usually so happy to help.

And Bora, I don't get ignored, maybe my passive aggressive thing (with a smile) gets them jumping :D...as I said, get three of them together and then you get a whole brain working on the solution. :D :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 04, 2009
Speedhump wrote:
FTD wrote:

Fair enough! I admit I do my research before I go looking for spare parts, etc, go in armed with part number, etc etc. and try to go straight to the assistant manager's office if I get a blank look on the shop floor. The managers are usually so happy to help.

And Bora, I don't get ignored, maybe my passive aggressive thing (with a smile) gets them jumping :D...as I said, get three of them together and then you get a whole brain working on the solution. :D :D

Maybe you don't get ignored because of that damn hump of yours!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Jul 05, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
Speedhump wrote:
FTD wrote:

Maybe you don't get ignored because of that damn hump of yours!!

Whammy, right in the smacker luv. Good hit and worth a Grammy :lol:
RobbyG

Jul 05, 2009
Speedhump wrote:
FTD wrote:

I really like the passive aggressive thing... works marvellous every time :D
RobbyG

Jul 05, 2009
Yep get in their face and speak quietly but firmly, and with a nice smile at the end. Always be polite (that's a life lesson ;)).

If I only had Ray Liotta's eyes, I'd be awesome :D

Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat