Westerners In Dubai

Topic locked
Westerners in Dubai Nov 19, 2011
Hi every1, I am new in Dubai. I have been born and raised in a western country. Coming here, after meeting many westerns in dubai, i have realised that they all hate arabs!! I dont understand why?!! Specially emaratis, they say they would never b friend with emaratis!

MarN21
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Westerners In Dubai Nov 20, 2011
Speaking for myself, the Emerati's I've met have all been pleasant people except for the ones that have tried to run me off the road or the police who arrested my wife and demanded money from us. The problem for expatriates in this country is the legal system. Locals can get away with all kinds of bad behaviour and foreigners can't. Most locals aren't badly behaved, but some of them certainly are.

I don't dislike locals, but I'm comfortable leaving the locals to themselves. Personally I'm not comfortable trying to make friends with someone who doesn't relate to me as an equal. If a local can use his wasta to get me imprisoned at his wish, then its difficult to relate as equals.
blueshift
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Westerners in Dubai Nov 20, 2011
They're not unlike Napoleon in Animal Farm when he altered the 7th Commandment;

All animals are equal! (But some are more equal than others)

:lol: :lol:
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Yea but u know in every country there are good and bad, we shouldnt b judging some1 before knowing him. Maybe you aren't like that, but i met people like this...
MarN21
Dubai Forums Member

Well MarN21, welcome to Dubai. I don't know where exactly these "westerners" come from that you have met, but I'm from the US and as for me, and most of the people I know from the US who live in Dubai, don't hate Arabs. Why, I'm even married to one!!!! If you make friends with Emiratis you might find that there are some that aren't very fond of westerners, no matter which western country they came from.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

good happy to hear that!! :) I also come from a western country and people are very respectful. I was shocked, i thought the ones here would b even more open minded but from the ones i met, they made me feel the opposite.
MarN21
Dubai Forums Member

What western country do you come from? What western countries do the people who "hate" Arabs come from? "Western" is a very broad term and covers many different countries.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Im a Canadian, I have met canadians and americans that didnt seem to happy here...
MarN21
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Westerners in Dubai Nov 24, 2011
I read on another post that you are Muslim.
capsicum
BANNED

MarN21 wrote:Hi every1, I am new in Dubai. I have been born and raised in a western country. Coming here, after meeting many westerns in dubai, i have realised that they all hate arabs!! I dont understand why?!! Specially emaratis, they say they would never b friend with emaratis!

I have been in Dubai for many years and to be honest I find your comments rather surprising, I also have not met many people who have expressed such feelings.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Westerners In Dubai Nov 24, 2011
MarN21 wrote:Im a Canadian, I have met canadians and americans that didnt seem to happy here...

A true Canadian? You said in another post that you're an Arab. So basically an Arab with a Canadian passport - surprise surprise now the complex and banging on about coming from western countries makes sense.

So where do you actually come from? Bound to be Lebanon or somewhere like that.

Dillon pretty much said it like it is, it's pretty hard to mix with people where many consider themselves superior to everyone else, plus many locals don't actually want to mix with other nationalities and keep themselves to themselves.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

MarN21 wrote:Hi every1, I am new in Dubai. I have been born and raised in a western country. Coming here, after meeting many westerns in dubai, i have realised that they all hate arabs!! I dont understand why?!! Specially emaratis, they say they would never b friend with emaratis!

You don't write like a Canadian :drunken:

Personally I like the locals. They are plenty of people I would choose not to be friends with it's because I don't particularly like them, not because they are from a particular country.
Everyone feels a bit superior in their own country. Why shouldn't they? I don't have a problem with that.

-- Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:06 am --

Chocoholic wrote:So where do you actually come from? Bound to be Lebanon or somewhere like that.

I didn't see the Arab reference but my first guess was Pakistan.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

No she stated somewhere she was an Arab living in Canada.

I think the issue is there's a difference in people feeling superior in their own country and those who would deliberately get others into trouble. As someone already stated the legal system here isn't fair by any stretch of the imagination. People using 'wasta' to get off doesn't happen so much elsewhere. This sadly is the main reason why many people will not mix with locals, because many might be nice to your face, but they have a whole different attitude behind your back.

Not everyone, but some.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

yes im an arab who was born and raised in canada, and im new here, trying to understand how people are dealing with eachother here... thanks for all of ur replies :)
MarN21
Dubai Forums Member

MarN21 wrote:yes im an arab who was born and raised in canada, and im new here, trying to understand how people are dealing with eachother here... thanks for all of ur replies :)

Should have stayed there at least until you could learn the language :P
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Chocoholic wrote:the main reason why many people will not mix with locals, because many might be nice to your face, but they have a whole different attitude behind your back.

:shock:
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

you're hanging with the wrong crowd , humans are the same all over the world , the eat , they defecate , they procreate etc..
shawagma
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Westerners In Dubai Nov 26, 2011
lool we'll see abt that.. maybe ur right, it's just the wrong crowd..
MarN21
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Westerners in Dubai Nov 27, 2011
Nucleus wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:the main reason why many people will not mix with locals, because many might be nice to your face, but they have a whole different attitude behind your back.

What? You think they're going to stand up for anyone that is not their 'brother'? You have another thing coming. Have seen quite a few people done over by people they thought were 'friends'.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Westerners in Dubai Nov 27, 2011
Chocoholic wrote:
Nucleus wrote:

What? You think they're going to stand up for anyone that is not their 'brother'? You have another thing coming. Have seen quite a few people done over by people they thought were 'friends'.

I've heard of and seen it done by different nationalities doing it to their own and to other nationalities. I've even seen locals do it to each other. :D
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Westerners in Dubai Nov 29, 2011
Bora Bora wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:What? You think they're going to stand up for anyone that is not their 'brother'? You have another thing coming. Have seen quite a few people done over by people they thought were 'friends'.

I've heard of and seen it done by different nationalities doing it to their own and to other nationalities. I've even seen locals do it to each other. :D

Yup. Regardless of nationality, if close friend does this it is something else, but I don't have high expectations from others in general.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Westerners in Dubai Nov 29, 2011
Nucleus wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:What? You think they're going to stand up for anyone that is not their 'brother'? You have another thing coming. Have seen quite a few people done over by people they thought were 'friends'.

Yup. Regardless of nationality, if close friend does this it is something else, but I don't have high expectations from others in general.

That's a bit of a sad thing to say, but in some cases I have to agree with you.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat