I Was Stopped By The Traffic Police, What Now?

Topic locked
i was stopped by the traffic police, what now? Dec 26, 2006
so i was driving back to bur dubai, where i live at the moment, i took the wrong road and ended up near some sort of carnival last night, so i did a legal u turn, and towards the traffic lights where i was facing forward, i checked, indicated and moved across to the 'turn left' lane, now i did this close to the lights, but there was space, and a big 4x4 just did the same thing so i thought it was fine.

some guy waves me to one side, an officer and says 'licence and registration'

i give him my licence (a uae licence i just got transferred from my uk licence a few weeks ago).

i give him the vehicle registration, but he needs a proof that i am allowed to drive it, as i rented it from hertz. i dont have this, i am fully helpful and show him the full contents of the paperwork of the car in the glovebox.

he says 'do you realise your mistake' i said i did a u turn where i was allowed to.

he said i changed lanes in a place i wasnt allowed to. i said eh? i think the road lane markings may of been another colour, i dont know, so he looks at my licence closely and comments that its only 2 weeks old as if im a criminal.

he said 'you have to pay a fine' i said 'do i HAVE to?' he then said 'make sure you never do it again'. i said 'ok' and he waved me on.

i dont know if he wrote anything down from my licence, so am i paying a fine or not? i wasnt going to ask him, i just drove away!

any experiences of this or something similar? will a fine come through the post?

how am i expected to know a stupid rule like that when its night time, and the full traffic was doing the same thing?

it is cos im white?

dave101
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 26, 2006
It's because you're white that you didn't get a ticket. who has your license currently? did the cops give it back? if they did and you didn't get a ticket along with it or made you sign anything than you are good. I would however check the online fine section in a few days (https://www.dubaipolice.gov.ae/dp/secur ... ?Page=6163) and just make sure all is good.

For the most part I find cops very friendly and helpful but every once in awhile you hear about a pretty f'd up thing that happens.

I'm not saying you did but if you cop an attitude with them they'll return it back 10 fold, even if you know you're right try to be calm and polite :)
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Dec 26, 2006
This is the first time that I have heard of the police pulling ANYBODY over, so i am pleasantly surprised.

And no, it is not coz you are white. If anything, this would have helped your case. If you argued with them, you are very lucky to get off with a warning.

As an infidel in Dubai, the golden rule is not to argue. This will only make matters worse. You have no rights when arguing with the police. This is how it was in the western world in the old days, and in my opinion, that is how it should be. Human rights activist screwed that up and now crime rates are skyrocketting.
Sometimes this works in your favour, (eg you won't have people sueing you in a no-win no-fee environment), sometimes it doesn't.
Most of the time it is for the better.

I just hope that the police keep up the good work. I have noticed a huge improvement in road manners, albeit down to police presence.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Dec 26, 2006
A few months ago I had a similar experience with the cops. They were very polite and just had a look at my documentation and told me to be careful. Lots of smiles and we were all on our way. Ofcourse it may have been my sad attempts to speak to them in Arabic that amused them.
PrettyPenny
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 26, 2006
benwj wrote:And no, it is not coz you are white.If anything, this would have helped your case - True. If you were any other skin type a ticket would have been issued without question

As an infidel in Dubai, the golden rule is not to argue. You have no rights when arguing with the police. This is how it was in the western world in the old days, and in my opinion, that is how it should be. Human rights activist screwed that up and now crime rates are skyrocketting.
Sometimes this works in your favour - You have got to be kiddin me!!!! Are you for real????
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 26, 2006
You can also check out the following Dubai Police website;

http://www.dubaipolice.gov.ae/dp/englis ... sp?num=SRV

Click on Traffic Fines inquiry and payment, enter your d/l no. and you will know if you have been fined, and to make it even easier have your credit card ready and pay on-line.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 26, 2006
devilsdiciple wrote:
benwj wrote:And no, it is not coz you are white.If anything, this would have helped your case - True. If you were any other skin type a ticket would have been issued without question

As an infidel in Dubai, the golden rule is not to argue. You have no rights when arguing with the police. This is how it was in the western world in the old days, and in my opinion, that is how it should be. Human rights activist screwed that up and now crime rates are skyrocketting.
Sometimes this works in your favour - You have got to be kiddin me!!!! Are you for real????

Which part don't you understand?
benwj

Dec 26, 2006
hold on, did he prove that he is a police officer. Was he wearing a dishdash and just told you that he was the police?
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 26, 2006
fayz wrote:It's because you're white

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 26, 2006
As you are renting the car, the rental company will get the ticket, if one was issued. However, in your case, it would appear that you did not.

Here in the UAE, you do not know what tickets you have got until you go and re-register your car.

As some have said above, you can check on-line at the links given. half the time, if the cops see you doing soemthing wrong, they will just jot downm your number plate and you will only find out what you have got later.

There is no real "points" system here as in the UK. Although there are no heftier fines/penalties if you jump red lights etc.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 26, 2006
benwj wrote:
devilsdiciple wrote:

As an infidel in Dubai, the golden rule is not to argue. You have no rights when arguing with the police. This is how it was in the western world in the old days, and in my opinion, that is how it should be. Human rights activist screwed that up and now crime rates are skyrocketting.Sometimes this works in your favour - You have got to be kiddin me!!!! Are you for real????

Which part don't you understand?

That part!!! What are you trying to say?? Dont see the point??
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 26, 2006
You will have to be more specific.

"Don't argue with the police"
"You have no rights" (they don't read them to you anyway)
Do you Understand/Agree/Disagree?

etc etc
benwj

Dec 26, 2006
thanks for all the response,

to answer your questions,

he looked real closely at my licence, but he did not pass me any ticket, and i did not sign anything,

he did say you will have to pay a fine, but then said 'make sure you dont do it again'.

he may of written something down, but i received no ticket.

so i will try to smile more next time, but i have an innocent looking face so maybe that helped!!

thanks again for your responses, i shall check the database in a few days just in case i did get a ticket afterall!
dave101
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 26, 2006
dave101 wrote:thanks for all the response,

to answer your questions,

he looked real closely at my licence, but he did not pass me any ticket, and i did not sign anything,

he did say you will have to pay a fine, but then said 'make sure you dont do it again'.

he may of written something down, but i received no ticket.

so i will try to smile more next time, but i have an innocent looking face so maybe that helped!!

thanks again for your responses, i shall check the database in a few days just in case i did get a ticket afterall!

Good luck Dave
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 26, 2006
benwj wrote:As an infidel in Dubai, the golden rule is not to argue.

Infidel huh?? you watch too many movies dude
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 27, 2006
i dnt think he will give u a fine cuz he let u go, so dnt worry
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 27, 2006
yorky500 wrote:As you are renting the car, the rental company will get the ticket, if one was issued. However, in your case, it would appear that you did not.

From the sounds of it this guy is pretty safe, I think he got off with a warning.... but just a slight correction, Yorky is right that if a cop sees you doing something you shouldn't, for example get stuck in an intersection or driving down the hard shoulder, the cops won't necessarily pull you over just write down your plate number and file a fine against the plate.

Fines can also go in your driver’s license in which case they would be against your specific license i.e. you not against the owner of the car, Hertz. Black points are only ‘awarded’ if you get fined on your license and even then I don’t think it happens very often, I’m not aware of one person who has received any, nor how you would even check to see how many you have.

In your case it looks like you are safe but just check the fines against your license number and the car plate number in a few days to just confirm. Btw for Hertz, I know from personal experience :? if you get a ticket they’ll send you text in about 48 hours saying you have to pay it.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Dec 27, 2006
I heard that the Dubai Police are going to impliment the "Black Point" system strictly form next year, mind you that doesn't mean it will happen though.

I would agree with you Fayz, looks like this guy got off with a warning.

I was in Internet City yesterday, got a parking fine Dhs. 100.00 for 8 minutes, bummer :cry:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 27, 2006
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dec 27, 2006

Good posting Sauron, I have posted the whole article in Ex-pat help forum.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 28, 2006
just a warning dont worry

DON
ISH
ISH
Dubai chat master

Jan 01, 2007
This happened to me, when I apparently came out of some one-way sandy backstreet the wrong way off Beach road (it was dark, there was no sign on the way and I stupidly missed the one-way signs on the way in). I was dropping someone off and it was the first time I had been on that road.

It took a while for him to communicate to me what I'd done, as it was genuine ignorance on my part and his English wasn't much better than my Arabic. However the instant I understood, and profusely apologised, he let me off a ticket, which was very nice of him. I think they can be a bit disarmed by politeness as so many people are rude to them.

Regarding the lane change: a friend got done for the exact same thing, and again it was a situation where he had no choice but to change lanes to make the turn he needed to. And it was at night, and there was no traffic, and he didn't know the lane change wasn't allowed there, and it was a totally safe manouevre.

The road markings possibly don't best fit the functionality of the roads in many places. Sometimes it isn't legally possible to get from A to B without the most massive, time-wasting detour.
secretdubai
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 05, 2007
sage & onion wrote:You can also check out the following Dubai Police website;

Click on Traffic Fines inquiry and payment, enter your d/l no. and you will know if you have been fined, and to make it even easier have your credit card ready and pay on-line.

Humm I was trying to see fines against my license but when i click License no option in above website it is not active I cant enter anything, same when i put my Car plate number , Plate code is not active, if active i can not enter anything
I am driving car from Diamand lease and i think that I will have arround 7 or 8 over speeding fines, because that is the time I have been flashed in last 2 months
no accident sofar, Will these fines on my License or car company have to pay. If it is on my License then I will be in trouble if company take money from me and pay It is ok
Which case is more likely
why i cant see on police website my fines
nasirgilani
Dubai Forum User

Jan 05, 2007
nasirgilani wrote:
sage & onion wrote:You can also check out the following Dubai Police website;

Humm I was trying to see fines against my license but when i click License no option in above website it is not active I cant enter anything, same when i put my Car plate number , Plate code is not active, if active i can not enter anything
I am driving car from Diamand lease and i think that I will have arround 7 or 8 over speeding fines, because that is the time I have been flashed in last 2 months
no accident sofar, Will these fines on my License or car company have to pay. If it is on my License then I will be in trouble if company take money from me and pay It is ok
Which case is more likely
why i cant see on police website my fines

Send me (PM) your Vehicle number and I will chck for you
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 09, 2007
well there is no fine logged against my licence or car, so thats good!

what a stupid thing to pull me over for, traffic was jammed up anyway, and it was dark so u couldnt even see the markings to see if they were solid or not!

alls well that ends well then, at least i wont make that mistake again, tho i keep seeing people go over solid white lines, and yellow lines etc and they dont get caught!

can you report idiots to the police? i keep nearly going into the back of people as their brake lights dont work, sometimes no lights work at all, which is pretty bad.

also, am i being racist, or have you noticed all the bad drivers are indian or other black? (some dumb white women too tho)
dave101
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 09, 2007
dave101 wrote:well there is no fine logged against my licence or car, so thats good!

what a stupid thing to pull me over for, traffic was jammed up anyway, and it was dark so u couldnt even see the markings to see if they were solid or not!

alls well that ends well then, at least i wont make that mistake again, tho i keep seeing people go over solid white lines, and yellow lines etc and they dont get caught!

can you report idiots to the police? i keep nearly going into the back of people as their brake lights dont work, sometimes no lights work at all, which is pretty bad.

also, am i being racist, or have you noticed all the bad drivers are indian or other black? (some dumb white women too tho)

the term you are looking for is "Racial Profiling" :)
cyrix
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 09, 2007
dave101 wrote:well there is no fine logged against my licence or car, so thats good!

Sorry Dave can't agree with you, all races and colours have their share of bad drivers here, even you m8, the only thing was you got a decent cop :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 09, 2007
dave101 wrote:

You are completely right in saying that the majority of tailgating Land Cruiser/BMW X5/Range Rover Sport drivers are Indians. :roll:
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 09, 2007
thats why u should fight back and get urself a tank with bars inront and back.....anyone tail gate u again...SLAM THE BREAKS! :twisted:

And if u see hes a smaller guy than u...go down and smack him up a bit.....and if he or she reaaaaaally irritates u....drown their face with ur piss while ur foot is on their face gagging for u to stop.....

only seems fair right :angel12:
dubai_sale
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2007
yes most indians are small, so i can!
dave101
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat