Was Anyone Stuck In Emirates Rd Traffic Yesterday?

Topic locked
Was anyone stuck in Emirates Rd traffic yesterday? May 18, 2007
I been complaining to my wife about the nightmarish Sharjah-Dubai traffic during work commute hours. She sympathized. But yesterday she said I'm gonna come meet you at work to give you company in your way back. And we took off from Dubai Internet City at 6:10pm. I told her we should be home at around 8:10. It still didn't feel real to her that it should take us two hours to travel 35 kilometers.

When we reached Emirates Rd, the traffic was at a standstill. I was surprised because usually for the first 20km in Emirates Rd I can do 120kmph. So we were stuck in that traffic for 2 additional hours. It turns out the road was blocked by a truck accident.

To top it off, there was another accident in Abu Shagara in Sharjah. So all in all, we didn't get home until 9:50pm.

Yesterday was supposed to be the last day of my Cold. Instead, my fever got worse. But I'm better now. Thank you.

Anyone had similar bad experiences yesterday or even in the past?

msafi
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Was anyone stuck in Emirates Rd traffic yesterday? May 18, 2007
msafi wrote:I been complaining to my wife about the nightmarish Sharjah-Dubai traffic during work commute hours. She sympathized. But yesterday she said I'm gonna come meet you at work to give you company in your way back. And we took off from Dubai Internet City at 6:10pm. I told her we should be home at around 8:10. It still didn't feel real to her that it should take us two hours to travel 35 kilometers.

When we reached Emirates Rd, the traffic was at a standstill. I was surprised because usually for the first 20km in Emirates Rd I can do 120kmph. So we were stuck in that traffic for 2 additional hours. It turns out the road was blocked by a truck accident.

To top it off, there was another accident in Abu Shagara in Sharjah. So all in all, we didn't get home until 9:50pm.

Yesterday was supposed to be the last day of my Cold. Instead, my fever got worse. But I'm better now. Thank you.

Anyone had similar bad experiences yesterday or even in the past?

I think you're nuts commuting from Sharjah to DIC everyday to begin with. Maybe if you didn't spend so much time in high stress traffic, your health would be better?
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 18, 2007
Why do u guys not buy private Jet ? Or helicopter?
It must be easy to come and go. :lol:

U save the rent by living at sharjah and complain about traffic :roll:
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

May 18, 2007
I listen to audiobooks during these hours which helps a lot, but it's still very stressful being crammed in this almost motionless traffic for 4 hours. Just thinking about those hours makes me sad and anxious.

In my office alone there are two other people who have been doing it for awhile. I only been doing it for a week. Even if other people accept living like that, I don't. Especially when I don't have to.

I want to solve this problem as soon as possible, that's why I'm looking to move closer to work.
msafi
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 18, 2007
I know people who commute from Sharjah to JAFZA. Rents are a quarter of The Greens in Sharjah. People seem to be ignoring International City for now, but that should change once Nakheel gets its act together.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

May 19, 2007
i wonder how long it will be before some brite company gets the idea to relo closer to commuters

don't know much about sharjah-- haven't been there yet-- would it be possible theoretically for a major company to operate there?

(sorry if this sounds dumb)
Sydneysider
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 19, 2007
Sydneysider wrote:i wonder how long it will be before some brite company gets the idea to relo closer to commuters

don't know much about sharjah-- haven't been there yet-- would it be possible theoretically for a major company to operate there?

(sorry if this sounds dumb)

You need to spend some time in Sharjah, and then come up with your Business Plan :wink:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

May 26, 2007
aite, ask your boss to raise another floor on your building & give you an accomodation on the floor ( as well as other employees ) .

that should solve your problem
ahamed
Dubai chat master

May 26, 2007
ahamed wrote:aite, ask your boss to raise another floor on your building & give you an accomodation on the floor ( as well as other employees ) .

that should solve your problem

What a good idea :wink:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

May 27, 2007
It is my opinion the problem is with the way things are being planned in Dubai.

Dubai economy is mainly based on tourism and trading.

My company has been based in the Jebel ali free zone for the last 18yrs, one of the earliest companies to have been established in this zone. From what i see that the Free Zone is losing its charm to companies who are interested in manufacturing, this is mostly due to rising costs of dubai and a very bad sign. Currently about 95% of the industries based in the Free Zone have all converted to either service or trading industries.

I feel greed has overtaken the ppl planning Dubai. It seems they are almost determinded to make commuting for those working in dubai a living hell.

There is miles of dessert once the Jebel ali free zone is crossed, why not plan accomodation for ppl working in this zone and make it reasonable in price? but i guess its their greed which stops them, they would rather have the ppl suffer hours everyday commuting to sharjah or else pay the lofty rents in Dubai, either way even the rent increases in Sharjah are not normal. Giving ppl places to stay near to work place would surely ensure that the Sheikh zayed and emirates road both stay clear, but i guess that would be too difficult to plan. After all where will all the towers be planned then.

Dubai prospers on its tourism and trading i really wonder what will happen when tourists cant get to place A to B in a reasonable amount of time or the increasing costs take there toll on the traders
kashif
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 27, 2007
kashif wrote:It is my opinion the problem is with the way things are being planned in Dubai.

Dubai economy is mainly based on tourism and trading.

My company has been based in the Jebel ali free zone for the last 18yrs, one of the earliest companies to have been established in this zone. From what i see that the Free Zone is losing its charm to companies who are interested in manufacturing, this is mostly due to rising costs of dubai and a very bad sign. Currently about 95% of the industries based in the Free Zone have all converted to either service or trading industries.

I feel greed has overtaken the ppl planning Dubai. It seems they are almost determinded to make commuting for those working in dubai a living hell.

There is miles of dessert once the Jebel ali free zone is crossed, why not plan accomodation for ppl working in this zone and make it reasonable in price? but i guess its their greed which stops them, they would rather have the ppl suffer hours everyday commuting to sharjah or else pay the lofty rents in Dubai, either way even the rent increases in Sharjah are not normal. Giving ppl places to stay near to work place would surely ensure that the Sheikh zayed and emirates road both stay clear, but i guess that would be too difficult to plan. After all where will all the towers be planned then.

Dubai prospers on its tourism and trading i really wonder what will happen when tourists cant get to place A to B in a reasonable amount of time or the increasing costs take there toll on the traders

Demand has outstripped supply, don't worry it will right itself soon enough
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

May 31, 2007
msafi wrote:I listen to audiobooks during these hours which helps a lot,

Yeh, me too. Do this with good readers and you'll look forward to traffic jams. Really!
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat